Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I must say that since I never had in my hands such modern board, I have absolutely no clue how different from Vcore is the "power to the cpu" voltage. Sounds quite the same for me. Some settings are pretty explainatory (like the L2 cache voltage), but at this I'm end up quessing that it should be some non-permanent Vcore voltage for power up... like 20mS of juice and then apply the standard 1.2V setting?
Dunno.

What is the default setting anyway? My BIOS does not allow me anything like this:

:)
Old September 23, 2013, 12:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

With Haswell Intel integrated come of the VRM parts. So now you feed the integrated VRM a bunch of juice and it in turn feeds the CPU (each mfg calls the VRM part something different). Since both are separate you can (and usually do) have to boost the power to the VRM along with the 'vcore' setting for higher oc's. ;)

Its a whole new ballgame and its a big part of why the H's are running so damn hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
I must say that since I never had in my hands such modern board, I have absolutely no clue how different from Vcore is the "power to the cpu" voltage. Sounds quite the same for me. Some settings are pretty explainatory (like the L2 cache voltage), but at this I'm end up quessing that it should be some non-permanent Vcore voltage for power up... like 20mS of juice and then apply the standard 1.2V setting?
Dunno.

What is the default setting anyway? My BIOS does not allow me anything like this:

:)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 23, 2013, 01:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ah. That looks like two steps down VRM - that could be cool. Back in old times, the CPU VRM is feed from 5V, then 12V lines when 5V was not enought. Now one can regulate how much joice got the final step from the first one? That might allow optimizing the heat output (read - minimize the loses) once maximum stable overclock is reached, by just cutting down the voltage a bit, so the last step is not so huge...

Obviously Haswell CPU's are sweet for users and overclockers then. Especially when there is plenty of these interesting settings. Do anyone bother to describe them anywhere where users can look and understand these better?

With old-good AMD K7 times is was straightforward and easy to understand:

...but now are there too much settings to screw something up :)
Old September 23, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quoting Trodas:

Quote:
Obviously Haswell CPU's are sweet for users and overclockers then. Especially when there is plenty of these interesting settings. Do anyone bother to describe them anywhere where users can look and understand these better?
Lol, you have fun bro, but all those settings are no sweet/fun to me! They are there to harass me...confuse me, stress me out, make me believe things and steal time of my life I'll never get back... lol..

Honestly, i'm touching wood here....4.5GHz is plenty and is what I was looking for...so PLEASE STAY STABLE FFS!

The "initial" CPU voltage, is the POST voltage. ASUS really screwed up the naming of things...they didn't use standardized vocabulary, compared to other MOBO manufacturers (at least for THIS gen).

Initial is voltage of the CPU at POST, and I guess it's on the MOBO's VRM side or things...as Haswell has CPU VRMs on-chip and deals with vCORE internally... I think it's called VRIN on other mobos, NOT SURE....

Eventual is the always-on voltage on the MOBO's side....I think it's called VCCIN on other mobos...

I might be confused....I just think ASUS was on Cr4ck for not using the same terms as the other MOBO manufacturers... this is a failzors IMHO...

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; September 23, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old October 3, 2013, 03:29 PM
Top Prospect

hey - thanks for the input guys - but I am still very confused.

can I do it manualy from Ai suite 3? At the moment then I have a 4.4 GHZ and it says OC voltage at 1.25 v - and I was wondering if FROM ai suite3 if I could change that to manual and go down to 1.222 v for example? Could some one pls make some dummies screenshots of where I could go fully manual and see if I can bring down the voltages.

Would apreciate it a bunch!