Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default If I had the urge to "bin" some procs...

I have a strange urge to buy 4-5x i7-4820k in a little while and keep the best over-clocker and sell the rest. Without spending 6 hours on each processor, how would one go about testing each CPU in say 2 hours each? (or less if possible)...

I will be leaving the motherboard out (i.e. like an open bench) to help facilitate the speed of swapping out the various chips. Also, what kind of losses can I expect with re-selling? I expect to lose at least $10-15 on shipping each and the taxes ($40 each). Of course, this is a little hypothetical at the moment, but I have the cash to spare.
Old September 11, 2013, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Let's say you're luck and you get a few chips that will do 5Ghz easily, then you'll be able to get more than retail for those. If your chips don't overclock so well, sell them for $20 below...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 11, 2013, 01:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The question I'd ask is if you intend on being upfront about binning the procs and not being satisfied. If that's the case, expect to take at least a 20% hit on resale to folks who know what you're talking about but who have absolutely no intention of overclocking. OTOH if you don't intend to be upfront about it, I'd personally consider that quite unethical.

Imagine the uproar if it was discovered that NCIX was binning their procs for their prebuilds and then putting the losers back on the shelf for folks to buy.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 11, 2013, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Really, you'll spend 90% of your time on whichever one you bin first. You pick a few benchmarks to use as measuring sticks, then you put in the time and effort to find the best possible OC with the first one and run those benchmarks and record your scores. Don't be afraid to pour on the volts if you find it continues to scale with more voltage applied, as long as you can cool it enough to complete the benches without throttling due to heat. This is not your 24/7 OC - it doesn't need to be stable. Once you've got the best possible OC and your best series of benchmark scores, save your BIOS profile and swap in the next one.

Then after that all you're doing is finding out if the next one can run the benches at the same speeds and voltages as the last one. If yes, then you want to evaluate two things - 1) is it more or less efficient (i.e., scores higher or lower when everything is the same), and 2) does it have any more OC headroom / does it scale better with more volts? Confirm or deny and move onto the next.

You're looking for the one that offers the best combo of OC-ability and efficiency, which means the one that scores the best on your chosen series of benchmarks.

As for the amount of money you stand to lose in the transaction, it would be fair to characterize it as "a lot." Generally, most folks who bin chips are able to do so because they don't pay for them as they're usually sponsored overclockers.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old September 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
MVP

The postings above speak the truth, about the amount of loss as well from selling binning chips. Also, one guy on my bench team binned 24 4930k, and claimed he only found one he would consider "good". He was looking for LN2 chips but I believe the binning was done under air/water. I would think that the 4 core version would probably have similar results, since it seems somewhat normal for a new core before it matures in the production process.
Old September 11, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you have the money and don't care about the loss, then why not go for. Reality is most of us would not consider doing this. You would be looking at a fairly substantial loss, for a potential gain of a few hundred MHz and a likely small single digit performance improvement.
Old September 11, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm looking at it from the angle of 25% chance of hitting 4.7 Ghz, if I get a single one that does more than 4.7 Ghz I'd be perfectly happy to "lose" about $250 in the experiment/process. I just plan to keep the best and sell the rest. I would clearly post for all that I re-sale that I tested them for over-clocking briefly.

@ Dead Things, what do you mean more efficient? If it does run at the settings in the BIOS, what actually means it is better? Since the clock speed will be the same, it will get the same score and same temperature? Yes/no? I don't quite understand how I can tell one is better when both are run at the exact same setting... but I've never tried it, so maybe you know something I don't.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A few hrs each Chip....no biggie, OC.note vcore, run some Benches, test for stability heat etc...15 passes LinX wont take long and will give you a very good indication :) Good luck.....

Old September 12, 2013, 12:35 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

More efficient would mean a better clock for the same voltage, or the same clock for lower voltage.
Old September 12, 2013, 04:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I'm looking at it from the angle of 25% chance of hitting 4.7 Ghz, if I get a single one that does more than 4.7 Ghz I'd be perfectly happy to "lose" about $250 in the experiment/process. I just plan to keep the best and sell the rest. I would clearly post for all that I re-sale that I tested them for over-clocking briefly.

@ Dead Things, what do you mean more efficient? If it does run at the settings in the BIOS, what actually means it is better? Since the clock speed will be the same, it will get the same score and same temperature? Yes/no? I don't quite understand how I can tell one is better when both are run at the exact same setting... but I've never tried it, so maybe you know something I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dARqSyDE View Post
More efficient would mean a better clock for the same voltage, or the same clock for lower voltage.

I'm curious to see his response as well. I'd have thought dARqSyDE's line of thinking would be the answer, but when I re-read his comments (WRT settings staying the same) it sounds like he's suggesting that some procs might actually put out better benchmarks with exactly the same settings.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP