Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2013, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Best platform for overclocking?

I've been kind of only mildly been keeping an eye on the Intel workings over the last couple of years and I haven't dug too deep into the pinnings of Ivy vs Haswell vs Xenon...

For a person who plans to overclock (probably on my corsair H100), what CPU/platform will be best? I've heard that Haswell is only good vs Ivy if you want to stay at stock clocks. So, what should I be looking at when I make a new build in a couple months (looking at doing a BitFenix Prodigy M build with a GTX 780 slapped in there).

Sandy Bridge
Sandy Bridge-E
Ivy Bridge
Ivy Bridge-E (maybe too soon to know?)
Haswell
Xenon
Old August 23, 2013, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Couldnt be happier with the OC'ing results on this Sandy E 3930K and RIVE.......no idea what the Ivy E will bring to the table next month, likely be alright.

Old August 24, 2013, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/int...r_its_ihs.html

Well, if this is true, I'll probably go with IVB-E when it comes out. From what I've read, the thermal paste method used in IVB/HS, it's making more of an impact on temperature than the smaller 22nm process is.

Edit: Poop fangles!!!! I just realized... if I go LGA2011 I don't get intel quick sync do I? Grr... I like the fact that you can live-stream (i.e. twitch.tv) using quick sync to get dedicated streaming PC performance without requiring the 2nd PC.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm either going to stick with the i7-2600k as I already own great motherboard/CPU or go with the IVB-E if it ends up having the soldered IHS. No waiting for Haswell-E for me :P
Old September 3, 2013, 03:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Pardon my noob question, but why do you see a soldered IHS as something good? I was under the impression that direct contact with the core die is better for overclocking, because it allow better heat transfer to the heatsink and hence cooler a bit the CPU.
And soldered IHS is just a bit harder to remove that the one just sticked there with the black rubber stuff... what I do miss?
Old September 3, 2013, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Only hardcore over-clockers will remove the IHS and directly cool the core. I am not at that level of over-clocking and wish to keep my CPU in the physical state in which I purchased it. Any of the general CPU coolers you buy on the market are not designed to work without the IHS installed and you need to either mod your CPU cooler or try to find someone who sells special direct contact cooling plates... and then you run the risk of damaging the CPU as the IHS provides a protective barrier if you tighten the cooler too much.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking for some feedback still... IVB-E didn't really have enough to "answer" my question.

So currently, here are my thoughts:

SNB (2600k) - will be fun just due to the possible high GHz you can reach as it likes to clock a bit higher, but you lose out on many features and per clock improvements with other platforms.
SNB-E/IVB-E - I'd pick IVB for X79, but I'm just not convinced the extra money of X79 is worth it... I'm not seeing all that impressive performance when over-clocking compared to other platforms. The lack of features just doesn't justify it for me as I'll be doing a single GPU and couldn't dream of needing more than x16 lanes of PCIe 3.0. I'm very interested to see how the 4820k performs before counting out IVB-E completely.
Ivy/Haswell - I could be wrong here, but I get the impression that between the two, you're better off with the 4770k.
Xenon - I got no clue if it's even worth going these over the "extreme desktop" counterparts made out of them... I just know a few people who were running them on the x79 platform to "fully" unlock PCIe 3.0, but it seems that IVB-E has removed any reason to use Xenon parts?

So, I'm leaning towards saying it's a battle between the 4770k and 2600k for me as I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the 4770k gives some of the best per-clock performance when comparing over-clocking results between multiple CPUs. Again, I'll be keeping my eye out to see what the 4820k does.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I went 3770k over 4770k due to the rampant heat many were getting from Haswell. No real new features and performance is so close in in everything I do the reduced heat is worth it.
There are a few things if your doing Haswell will rock at, otherwise it's a coin toss really outside of benching.

Most interesting part there to me is the 4820k.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 9, 2013, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Still keeping my eye on the 4820k for certain... I will consider your thoughts on the 3770k and continue some more research then. Thanks.