Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2013, 01:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Vcore Voltage jumps around

I Overclocked my i72600k to 4.6 Ghz after a bios update. I set my LLC to 3 and offset of v.015+ My additional turbo voltage is at V.008+ when i ran my Prime 95 my voltage was 1.368 now its spiking to 1.392-1.400. i dont know why. I am not an expert overclocker. I kept C3 and C6 support for stability for some reason without it i just crash. Ive seen Vcore drop to 1.020 and fluctuate

Speed spectrum Disabled
Intel speedstep Disabled
Enhanced halt state Disabled
thermal throttling disabled

My BLCK is 100.0 my mpulitplie is 46

Any tips or advice would really be appreciated.

Last edited by Warcrimes; August 23, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old August 23, 2013, 05:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

LLC helps to keep your voltage stable under load. Sometimes you may see it go higher then your set vcore. You have also "told" your system to add an offset of +0.015V and another +0.008V for turbo mode. So when your CPU changes frequencies and is under stress, your voltage will increase. I suggest you do some more reading before playing around with those values if you don't know what they do.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For some reason if i left additional turbo on auto it wouldnt kick in and id crash after 15 min on prime 95. I tried fixed voltages a bit but it wasnt really working. id feel id have enough voltage and then crash, so far with my v0.015+ offset and v.0008+ additional turbo is so far what i can come up with.
Old August 23, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes LLC 3 is not the best option. Playing with voltages is complex and many things bump into many other othings, etc... As noted above, you should understand what EACH setting does before you play with it. If your voltage is fluctuating while at full load (i.e. after it runs Prime for a bit) on all possible LLC settings, I would say you've got a pretty serious problem that needs fixing.

Have you tried using hardware readings of your voltages instead of software based? If you don't want to put in the hours of effort, time, research, etc, then go with a much simpler over-clock like 4.3 Ghz. I can't help you as I haven't worked on my 2600k yet, but my 930 I probably spent 20+ hours researching to find out what all of the different voltages, settings, etc, do and then another 30+ hours tweaking my over-clock and voltages.
Old August 23, 2013, 11:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I went with 4.2 for now. all i had to do was change multiplier to 42 and keep everything stock, ran prime for 3 hrs, worked fine. im glad i got a good base. ive looked on several forums alot of ppl say go with LLC 1 and offset low and work ur way up. the fixed voltage didnt work to well for me based on LLC. i guess i have to keep cracking at it. if i get back with somethin new i'll let ya know. thanks alot for all the help so far really appreciated. i have no delusions it will take time, i had a bios update and it erased all my old profiles, the new bios is a bit more complex so ill read up and make sure everything i see i know what to do with thanks
Old August 24, 2013, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well have fun! There really isn't much point to doing your own over-clocking if you aren't going to enjoy the difficulty of tinkering with your settings and getting it just right :D
Old August 24, 2013, 11:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I finally got some stability i only ran prime for 1 hr. i plan on an 8 hr test when i have time. My temps never passed 69c and when idle im between 33-44c voltage stayed between 1.344-1.376 using LLC 1 is making the difference for not crashing. i still want to tweak a bit to get it lower. and tips besides just voltages. any other settings that can help stablize? thanks again for the help

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How much you over-clock your memory and how many physical memory sticks you use often increases the voltage requirement for over-clocking your CPU. With SNB it isn't fun to play with the bclk, but sometimes a specific multiplier isn't as stable and dropping the multiplier and increasing your bclk a couple mhz can fix that (but a lot of trial and error for something very picky). I suggest you disable intel turbo boost also.
Old August 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I haven't overclocked the memory i was going to attempt it for an 1866 but trying to fix OC on CPU just so i have a solid base o go back to if anything. I have 4 sticks of 4gb G.Skill RipjawX 1600. I cant turn of intel boost because of the bios update. it will not allow me to do so. How high on the BCLK can i go i using stock 100.0 atm im using a 360mm rad to cool my cpu and 590 in the same loop and temps are good so far<55 even when maxing out games. when strest testing 69c was the highest i saw. Any really good guides or tips u know for OCing Ram? thanks
Old August 24, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Stick to "learning" how to OC your CPU before jumping into OC'ing RAM...honestly, once you start pushing RAM you'll get into Timings and other misc voltages....
If you have rated 1600 Mhz RAM, stick to 1600 Mhz....trying to push it faster is going to be extremely frustrating if you re not familiar with the proper steps.