Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2013, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default game latency fixers do they still work? wha tis your take on them

I remember way back when I first started to online gaming I used to a simple program that seemed to cut back on my latency sometimes a allot but I am wonder now if there are still programs or scripts that can do the same thing.
I am kind of doubting that they still work unless you are directly connected to a modem or have the script running inside your hardware fire wall .
this is a batch script that an acquaintance made that apparently works for her works but I am not sure if it would if I am going though a modem
what is your take on this or other such scripts or programs .
Oh I am not sure if this is actually aloud is this isn't allowed then please remove the script code and I apologize

Code:
@echo off
reg query "HKU\S-1-5-19" >NUL
IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 CLS & echo RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR && pause && EXIT
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion

SET /A i=0
SET FILE=Improve_your_Lag_Disable_the_Nagle_Algorithm.reg

FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1*" %%A IN (`REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces /se #`) DO (
	SET /A i=!i!+1
	SET REGKEY!i!=%%A
)

echo.Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00>"%~dp0\%FILE%"

for /l %%A IN (1,1,%i%) DO (
	echo.>>"%~dp0\!FILE!"
	echo.[!REGKEY%%A!]>>"%~dp0\!FILE!"
	echo."TcpAckFrequency"=dword:00000001>>"%~dp0\!FILE!"
)

REG IMPORT "%~dp0\!FILE!"
Old August 5, 2013, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Scripts typically don't do anything with modern games, most of the major developers already optimize network traffic as well as software implementations can. You would see a noticeable improvement if there was something wrong on your end. Sometimes with some of the older programs you might experience slowdowns because of how they work. (they simply "spam" packet requests to reduce latency)

Latency fixing services can work, as they typically offer you a direct proxy/VPN to their servers which are located in close proximity to popular game servers. But sometimes you're close enough to a server that it makes little to no difference. Not to mention they're typically on a freemium model.
Old August 5, 2013, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that makes sense to me, I remember bacak when playing ET my pind was very rarely lower then 95 which might not seem to high to some but when you are playing in tournaments it is huge. that was 6 years ago maybe even longer the funny thing is even now my ping averages in the high 90s lol