Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2013, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 3930K @ 4.9Ghz

By far the nicest Chip I've owned....threw 1.43v at it and no issues at all running some benches @ 4.9 Ghz.
Dont think I'll ever let this chip go ;) .....the 680's had a "slight" OC as well.....should never "drink n OC" ;)

Old June 25, 2013, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Stop... Tempting... Meeeee... Must resist must resist.. all I need is an i5... i5.. god damn it..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 25, 2013, 02:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yup, that's awesome. I hear the new IB (E) may be supported on X79 chipsets?
Old June 25, 2013, 02:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea, unfortunately I'll be upgrading probably just before they come out (again, SB came out just after my last full build)

Girlfriend got let go from her paint-monkey job, so I'm donating my PC to her and building new... question is.. do I do a minimum spend... do I go for something that looks awesome but not much better than the minimum spend..

or do I go for the juicy stuff and to hell with the looks / budget. 3930 will be the chip if I do.

Old June 25, 2013, 02:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to hardware myself. So, wrong guy to ask.

Myself, I plan to pay more attention to aesthetics than I have in the past. But performance wise, I plan to go with a 4770K and Socket 1150. Just above my needs for gaming and not quite server/Photoshop territory.

It should play my games and edit my videos for the next half decade.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea I'm not jumping on haswell yet.. too many reports of high temps and low clocks for me.

Granted it should be good for video stuff.. but then I think I would look at a 8350 if I was doing it myself.. near i7 performance in rendering and decent for games too.

Old June 25, 2013, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I was thinking of picking up an IV-E 4930K in Sept, but with Haswell-E next year, think I may just "sit" on this Chip. I'd like to "find room" on my H100i for a couple of more fans and see if I could "stabilize" at 4.9Ghz....but I believe a WC Loop would be in order ;)

Old June 25, 2013, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1.43 volts... Are you trying to burn it out in a year?!!?!?! I'd suspect that voltage will cause degradation in less than a year.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

...Thats kinda humorous....no offense but its few Bench runs, even so I would hardly be worried about Electrical Degradation in a year at 1.43v ;)

...and whatever you do please refrain from posting all the info I have already read on CPU Electrical Degradation, i'm well aware and banking this Chip will be fine....had my previous 980X going for 2.5 yrs at 1.45v and its still a killer chip.

What your concerned with would likely be a longterm concern.....4 or 5 yrs...who knows, certainly not concerned though .....with offset OC mode right now at desktop its "idling" at 1.2 Ghz w .898v (vCore)....C1 and Speedstep enabled.

Have a read as well.....apparently Eldonko (a real guru compared to me) has been running a 3960x at 5 Ghz for a couple of years, I'm sure him and every other OC'er out there that puts either the 3930K or 3960/70X under water for 5 Ghz isnt too concerned about "frying" there Chip in a year and they will likey be trying to settle on 1.4 - 1.45v, maybe even some as high as 1.5v ;)

Your absolutely correct the "risk" of electrical degradation increases, but the likelyhood of frying a Chip "in a year" is highly unlikely .....not impossible, but unlikely.

ASUS X79 Rampage IV Extreme Socket 2011 Motherboard Review

Last edited by rjbarker; June 25, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old June 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
By far the nicest Chip I've owned....
So how does it compare to your 980X in wPrime 1024?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!