Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2013, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What is PAE

I ahve been reading around and read somewhere that enabling PAE you can run or use more then the 4GB ram on a 32bit windows OS
the reason I ask is because I have a windows 2003x86 disk around here somewhere and I really liked the OS but I changed for a x64 windows OS because of not being about to use all of my ram anyone know if this works. if it does then I will gladly going to change back because I hate having so many process's running on my OS and not knowing what 1/2 of those process's are for
Old June 23, 2013, 05:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pys Addy Extension

It kinda sort works...kinda sorta (IIRC its limited in the OS to 4GB by MS since SP2 for XP). Still limted to 2GB per app though..even when it 'works'. ;)
Physical Address Extension (Windows)

Honestly, if you want to really use more than 4GB...install 64bit.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 23, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya that is what I thought I really like my older 2003 server OS but if I were to try 2003x64 then I will run into driver problems ion that I doubt I would find any drivers.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Theoretically you cannot pass 4 GB with a 32-bit system since the maximum signed bit allowed on a 32 bit system is 2,147,483,647 (aka 2 GB) however you must also count -2,147,483,647 making it a total of 4 GB. If ever you want to pass that number then the signed bit will change into a negative, making it impossible to go higher.

Honestly PAE doesn't provide any advantage other than make the number go higher, the performance won't improve since the amount of virtual memory is the same.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:11 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

We run PAE on our 2003 terminal servers. It helped. We don't have an app that needs more than 2gb but having a larger pool of memory available to the dozen or so users logged on made a performance improvement.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SO if you can only run 2 GB max per task then if you have say 4 tasks running would they all be trying to use the same ram or how does that work
I really want to go back to the server 2003 because it loaded very fast with my old set up it was almost like running the OS on an SSD .

Last edited by Shadowmeph; June 24, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old June 26, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my experience, PAE has always resulted in instability in memory-intensive environments (and really, why else would anybody be interested in PAE?). Basically, what happens is the OS can't see the memory, but PAE tells it not to worry - it's there. So it throws the data out into the abyss, hoping there are enough physical addresses available to catch it. When you're operating in a memory-intensive environment though, that's not always the case. Without any OS-level memory management at all, sooner or later, writes will eventually be attempted on unaddressable space. BSODs ensue.

My advice: don't be afraid to give 2k3 x64 a whirl. While I understand you have some stuff without 64-bit drivers, you may find 2k3's x86 translation layer is sufficient enough.

edit - I should mention that 2k3 x64's load time is nothing like the x86 counterpart's.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old June 26, 2013, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
In my experience, PAE has always resulted in instability in memory-intensive environments (and really, why else would anybody be interested in PAE?). Basically, what happens is the OS can't see the memory, but PAE tells it not to worry - it's there. So it throws the data out into the abyss, hoping there are enough physical addresses available to catch it. When you're operating in a memory-intensive environment though, that's not always the case. Without any OS-level memory management at all, sooner or later, writes will eventually be attempted on unaddressable space. BSODs ensue.

My advice: don't be afraid to give 2k3 x64 a whirl. While I understand you have some stuff without 64-bit drivers, you may find 2k3's x86 translation layer is sufficient enough.

edit - I should mention that 2k3 x64's load time is nothing like the x86 counterpart's.
I am not sure what you mean by translation layer?
Old June 26, 2013, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's what lets you run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit system.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old August 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
Rookie

From my own experiane PAE is good for server stations that need the memory but not running massive memory intensive tasks. I have a system running 2008, I can't run X64 because it's a 32 bit xeon so have to make due, PAE lets it run above the 4GB mark. The issue is that not all of the memory can be accessed at once, you still only have 4gb of addressing space, so the more memory you have the more it has to "translate" the addresses, similar to a swap file it will swap assigned address spaces in the 4gb area to the area needing to be accessed, but bad programming can make that a huge issue, if it doesn't verify the address space and assumes it's consistent then it writes to the wrong address or reads from it.