Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2013, 06:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I cannot recommend running Server 2003 at this day and age. Your on the verge of not receiving any security patches shortly.

Likewise, Server isn't designed to be rebooting constantly, it should happen maybe once a month at the most for patching, and that would be during off-hours anyways. Regardless, Server 2012 boots decently fast, even on HDD's, assuming you don't have a ton of roles running. Hyper-V kills boot times the most as it has to power up/down a bunch of machines.
Old August 27, 2013, 04:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm with JD. it's 2013, forget Server 2003. I curse and groan every night I have to do anything on a 2003 server. I almost can't bear it anymore. And it's not like migrating is a chore anymore, so that's not an excuse at all in my mind for any admin to be holding on to some relic of what once was
Old August 28, 2013, 06:58 PM
Rookie

For some it's not a choice though, if you can't run x64 2008 (non R2) is the last OS you can run, everything after that is 64bit only.

My main server is x64 bit capable but I have a older system I use as a NAS that is 32bit only.