Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2013, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 980X OC and H100i

All those with Quad Cores, this may not seem like a big deal, as I know you folks are hitting 4.7 - 5 Ghz, BUT, bear in mind this is 6 Cores with Hyper threading "on" 12 Threads, 12 MB L2 Cache.

So, I have had this 980X for a couple of yrs now, have never been able to get higher than 4.25Ghz with my old TRUE in a push / pull config.
I was also running 6 x 2GB RAM (all Slots of my 759 Classy Board populated).

My goal is always higher OC's and keeping Temps below 80c at full load running LinX 64, this was never possible with my old arrangement (TRUE and all Slots populated), Temps would easily reach high 80's on some cores.
Also, bear in mind this is no "Dream Chip", its always need fairly aggressive vCore to stabilize .

So:
1. Installed H100i
2. Bought a Quad Channel Dominator Kit (for future X79 Build), 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-9-27 2T @ 1.5v and installed 3 Sticks, only populating 3 of 6 Slots hoping for less strain on my IMC.
3. Relaxed RAM to 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-27 1T

Results:
133 x 33 for 4.4 Ghz
Managed to get through 10 Cycles of LinX and now my next step of testing will be day to day use, including Gaming.
My days of 24 Hrs P95 Full FFT and Blend are done

Vcore Set @ 1.45v in BIOS, under load 1.47v - previously I was running 1.438v for 4.2Ghz
VDimm @ 1.6v, these Sticks are rated 1.5v, so will continue to see what I can lower and maintain some stability.

Temps Isle: Lowest Core 19c Highest Core 32c
Under Full Load: Lowest Core 64c Highest Core76c

Cinebench Score now 11.13 Pts vs 10.4 Pts @ 4.25 Ghz.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the performance of an AIO CPU Cooler @ $110

Never could have reached 4.4 Ghz on this Chip without it!!

Old May 3, 2013, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I may be wrong, but you seem to have quite a power hungry chip: my i7 970 needs 1,36 vcore for 4,2 and 1,424 for 4,4 (200 x 21 and 210 x 21).

Even a (my) custom loop (and i've tried up to two 240mm radiator) cannot cope with volts over 1,45. Temps go sky high very quickly after 1,42! Seems like the block simply cannot transfer heat quickly enough. And as i don't like to fold with a cpu in the high 70s, i've chosen the 4,2 ghz speed: SO much less heat...

What kind of uncore can you get from your cpu? Trying to get 3600 (2400 mhz memory) out of mine is a no go, at least according to my limited experience. Could you tell me what kind of settings you're using, uncore wise?
Old May 3, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes this Chip DOES require vCore big time, always has since day 1. Initially it was frustrating as soany folks were claiming stability for 4.2 Ghz @ around 1.38v.
I simply could not do it no matter what I tried.

VCore: 1.45v
Uncore: 2x RAM Multi set to x24 or 3.2 Ghz

Now that I have it somewhat stable, I'm going to:
1. Try reducing vDimm from 1.6v to a goal of 1.5v
2. Try reducing vTT, presently +275mv or 1.475v
If I have success with any of the above Ill try reducing my Uncore.

Temps are fine, would like to reduce the Voltage though ;)

Old May 3, 2013, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Try reducing vTT, presently +275mv or 1.475v
At 133 BLCK and 1600 DRAM, you really shouldn't need anywhere close to those volts on VTT. Stock volts should be perfectly adequate, no?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old May 3, 2013, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Trust me guys, I've had this Chip for 2+ yrs, I have been through a TON of testing.

Ill be getting a 3970X n RIVE soon, Ill be dumping this X58 platform soon on BST, will be a good deal and to whoever gets it, let me know how you make out ;)

Note: At this point I'm going to 1st try reducing VTT and test ;)

It's so tempting to change a couple of parameters BUT must resist the temptation.

Last edited by rjbarker; May 3, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am really happy with my H100i, dropped temps 10C compared to the big Noctua I was using. I had my 3930k @ 4.6 no problem until I updated the bios....
Old May 3, 2013, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I'm pretty pleased with it indeed!!!

Old May 7, 2013, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Ill be getting a 3970X n RIVE soon, Ill be dumping this X58 platform soon on BST
Hey - saw your price check thread and look at me all puttin' 2 and 2 together and stuff! Anyway, before you dismantle your rig, you should totally enter this month's OC contest with it (OC Challenge #3). The 980X should be awesome for Stage 1.

Old May 7, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Hey - saw your price check thread and look at me all puttin' 2 and 2 together and stuff! Anyway, before you dismantle your rig, you should totally enter this month's OC contest with it (OC Challenge #3). The 980X should be awesome for Stage 1.
i get
Dont know much about it......I'll have a look at it tonight, unless I get tired of downloading Drivers and decide to "rip n tear" .....no kidding, the new gears spread out soooooo nicely on my table.....just waiting!!

Meanwhile yeah, I just did a clean install of W7 on that X58 gear and managed to getthe 980X "somewhat stable" (15 passes of LinX) at 4.38 Ghz .......shouldnt have waited so long to get the 100i !!

Old May 8, 2013, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Dont know much about it......
It's fairly straight-forward, but admittedly a lot of steps if you haven't done it before. If you'd like some help or guidance, feel free to hit me up in PM and I'll walk you through it.

Quote:
the new gears spread out soooooo nicely on my table.....just waiting!!
I know the feeling. And it feels gooooooooooooooooood!

Quote:
"somewhat stable" (15 passes of LinX) at 4.38 Ghz
You only need to get it ~ 3 mins stable at full load in order to complete a benchmark run for the contest.

Serious - please hit me up in PM. Would love to see how your 980X fares against the SBs and IBs being used in the contest...