Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   HWC Overclocking Challenge #3: wPrime UP+MP (Now with Prizes!) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/60990-hwc-overclocking-challenge-3-wprime-up-mp-now-prizes.html)

Dead Things May 1, 2013 11:10 AM

HWC Overclocking Challenge #3: wPrime UP+MP (Now with Prizes!)

1 Attachment(s)
Contest closed! Thanks for participating!

Welcome one and all to the (Not Officially) Official Hardware Canucks Overclocking Team! If you are new to the team, and want to learn more about what it is all, um, about, please see the introductory team thread here. How many times can I say about? About this many, I guess.

Introduction

Calling all cores! Calling all cores! The third overclocking challenge of the season is a bit different from the first two. Instead of having just a one-month window to enter the competition, participants will be given two months. But with great power comes great... er, I mean, with the longer timeframe comes a greater challenge: this is a two-stage competition!

For this competition, we will be fighting to see who can score the lowest on wPrime 1024M
. The two stages are as follows:

1. Any processor on a uni-processor (desktop) motherboard
2. Any processors on a dual- or multi-processor (workstation/server) motherboard

Note that the distinction between stages is the motherboard. Therefore, you must use a single-socket board for Stage 1 and a multi-socket board for Stage 2.

Contest Guidelines

Use wPrime 1.55 only (download link below) and run the 1024M test (not the 32M test). Sometimes, wPrime will not correctly identify the number of logical processors in your system (cores+threads). If this occurs, you can manually select the number of threads the test will run by clicking on 'Advanced Settings.' When you have your score, take a screen shot that includes:
  • The wPrime window showing your best 1024M score
  • CPU-Z CPU tab (with CPU list drop-down showing for the multi-socket stage)
  • CPU-Z Memory tab
To enter this contest, you will need the following:

Background image to be used in all submissions (use download link for 1920x1080 or attachment below for 1024x768). Without this background image in your verification screenshot, your contest entry will be invalid.

wPrime 1.55. Note that there are other, newer versions of wPrime - but only scores submitted using version 1.55 will be accepted, as per hwbot rules.

CPU-Z Ė at minimum, open two instances and show the CPU and Memory tabs in your verification screenshot. Those submitting a score for Stage 2 must also click on the little CPU drop-down list at the bottom-left to show how many processors are installed.

Contest entries will be accepted from 12:01 AM EDT on May 1, 2013 until 11:59 PM EDT on June 30, 2013. The official time stamp for a contest entry is based on when the submission link is posted in this thread.

How to Participate

Once you have your best wPrime 1024M score, submit it using hwbot.org here. Make sure your submission is in compliance with both the specific Hardware Canucks contest rules and the general hwbot.org rules for wPrime. After you have submitted your score to hwbot.org, post the link to your submission in this thread to enter. Good luck, and may the best overclocker win!

Awards... Now with Prizes!

In this contest, participants are competing for points towards the Championship Cup Series. Points will be distributed to contest participants as follows in each stage:

1st place = 10 points
2nd place = 7 points
3rd place = 5 points
4th place = 3 points
5th place = 2 points

All others who submit a score but donít reach the top five will receive one point towards the Championship Cup Series.

And another thing that makes this challenge different from the first two is... PRIZES! Three coupon codes that can be used for paid-only stuff in some free-to-play games:
  • Best overall UP score wins a coupon for Planetside 2!
  • Best overall MP score wins a coupon for World of Tanks!
  • Best overall score using a Haswell processor wins a coupon for Hawken!

Dead Things May 1, 2013 11:11 AM

HWC OC Challenge #3 Standings

Stage 1 - UP
1: G777 @ 98.390 ~ 10 Points
X: rjbarker @ 119.991
2: ipaine @ 149.307 ~ 7 Points
X: Rasparthe @ 153.593
3: Soullessone21 @ 162.200 ~ 5 Points
4: Valkyrie @ 196.296 ~ 3 Points

Stage 2 - MP
1: Xeven @ 36.286 ~ 10 Points

2: Dead Things @ 37.546 ~ 7 Points
3: 4DoorGTZ @ 41.712 ~ 5 Points

Haswell Bonus
1: G777 @ 133.391

(X = Exhibition)

Soullessone21 May 1, 2013 11:18 AM

Can I OC your CPU's I borrowed till they catch fire????, I'm using water to cool them so it should put the fire out fast :thumb:

Dead Things May 1, 2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soullessone21 (Post 706555)
till they catch fire

I know no other way to overclock.

G777 May 1, 2013 01:41 PM

Nice challenge, very interested to see what the f@h crowd can do with their multi-threaded beasts:punk:

Rasparthe May 1, 2013 02:12 PM

Very cool competition, I am also very interested in seeing what some of these big folding rigs can do. Also congrats to the HWC overclocking members for 6th place in the Team Cup, very impressive result.

supaflyx3 May 1, 2013 02:53 PM

Does wPrime require any features on CPUs 10+ years ago? If not I have a few things I can run it on :P

Dead Things May 1, 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 706591)
Does wPrime require any features on CPUs 10+ years ago? If not I have a few things I can run it on :P

Good question. Hopefully this will help answer it for you. :haha:

supaflyx3 May 1, 2013 03:00 PM

Well I think you have me beat on what I was going to build heh

Dead Things May 1, 2013 03:10 PM

Not sure "beat" is the right word! But yeah - to more directly answer your question, wPrime needs a processor with 32-bit capabilities. So 286 and anything before that is out - but otherwise you're good to go! I'm intrigued to find out what you have in store for us...

I guess I should point out that multi-slot boards are also acceptable for Stage 2. :haha: