Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2013, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, we had a pretty good idea coming in that Ice didn't scale much with SLI or Xfire, which is why we didn't put any restrictions on the number of GPUs allowed for the contest.

Despite what Janus says about the test being CPU-bound, Gav's testing yielded basically the same physics scores with 12 threads on a 3960X and with 4 threads on a 2500K.

So what I think Janus meant to say is that Ice was not meant to illustrate the full potential of high-end hardware. But that is not to say the test does not scale with higher-end GPUs, as Gav's Titan score clearly illustrates.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old April 5, 2013, 11:14 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Any reason why my GTX 680's would be crushed by a single GTX 580, something doesn't add up here >_>

Asus P6X58-E WS | i7 920 D0 @ 4.01ghz W/ Apogee HD Block | 24gb (3x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 SC's in SLI W/ XSPC Razor Blocks |
4x 1tb WD Black Drives | SB Recon 3D PCIe | Swiftech MP655-SE Pump | Swiftech Maelstrom Res | CM HAF 932 | Corsair HX 850 (3 yr's old) | Asus VH236H + PA238QR
Old April 5, 2013, 12:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergold View Post
Any reason why my GTX 680's would be crushed by a single GTX 580, something doesn't add up here >_>
If you mean ipaine's score, that's 2XGTX 580 he's running I believe.

He's also rockin' a 2600k @ 5Ghz vs your 920@4Ghz, faster memory on a newer architecture and some good clocks on those cards.

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old April 5, 2013, 01:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergold View Post
There is a bug in Fire that has to do with a microsoft update file.
I deleted the file and my Fire score went to over 10,000.
You might have the same bug. File name to delete is: KB2670838
This bug has to do with the "Fire" test though and I doubt it will impact the score in "Ice" at all.
(Edit: Warning though as this is a MS update and the impact is unknown to me. I have lost my upgrade to Explorer v10 and went back to v9 and I believe removing this update is the reason.)

As for your scores on "Ice" I posted a question about my low scores on the Futuremark forums. It seems that in high end multi-gpu setups we max out the Ice benchmark and it becomes heavily dependant on your CPU clocks for the final score. I don't understand the technical aspect of it but here is a link to my question and the answer on Futuremark.
680 sli low score 3DMark - Page 3
Old April 5, 2013, 01:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
But that is not to say the test does not scale with higher-end GPUs, as Gav's Titan score clearly illustrates.
I'm not a hardcore OCer at all so it's all "shrug shoulders" to me when technical stuff comes into the picture. I would think that SLI 670's or 680's would outperform a single Titan but I dunno.
But G777 certainly does have BIG OC numbers on both CPU and GPU =
Edit: Doah! I posted Gav above = don't know why = it's G777 with Titan goodness.

Last edited by JayDeeHobbit; April 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeHobbit View Post
I would think that SLI 670's or 680's would outperform a single Titan
Yeah - but remember with Ice Storm, you're only getting about a 10% premium with SLI, if that. For all intents and purposes, it is essentially a single-card benchmark.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old April 6, 2013, 03:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well instead of doing yard work *cough* I decided to try to bump my Ice score today.
I bumped my GPU OC a little (there wasn't much room to play from my previous OC) but the results were... meh...
I hadn't really played with my CPU OC for the Ice as I thought this would be more of a GPU test. So I played with my CPU OC and on my initial OC increase I've went from 4.6ghz to 4.8ghz and it kicked Ice in the behind!

Sitting at 210k on Ice now NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z77
Didn't submit the score as I hope to get to 5.0ghz OC before I submit.

So a heads up to those who want to get their OC groove on for the Ice challenge = GPU will only take you so far but if you hit the CPU as well some OC goodness awaits!
Old April 6, 2013, 03:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Well instead of doing yard work *cough* I decided to try to bump my Ice score today.
I bumped my GPU OC a little (there wasn't much room to play from my previous OC) but the results were... meh...
I hadn't really played with my CPU OC for the Ice as I thought this would be more of a GPU test. So I played with my CPU OC and on my initial OC increase I've went from 4.6ghz to 4.8ghz and it kicked Ice in the behind!

Sitting at 210k on Ice now NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z77

So a heads up to those who want to get their OC groove on for the Ice challenge = GPU will only take you so far but if you hit the CPU as well some OC goodness awaits!
Very nice JD

Don't make me go buy another Titan

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old April 6, 2013, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Very nice JD

Don't make me go buy another Titan
You got a email home slice and when my wife gives me time to OC I will get some better numbers for my 660 OC TF pathetic setup haha
Old April 6, 2013, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Damn you!!!! I was so close to you and now have no chance of catching you. Man that is one unpleasant side effect of all this benching, I need to upgrade my dual 580's!! Dammit if it wasn't for the new monitor I could have gotten at least one 680.

What driver are you using may I ask?