Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2013, 06:35 PM
Rookie

Default eVGA Dummy O.C.

Simple question.. I want to use the dummy oc on my eVGA X58 board. Do I have to worry about getting a better cpu fan & heatsink.. or is the stock fan & heatsink able to keep it cool?
Old March 29, 2013, 05:26 AM
Top Prospect

I think a good rule-of-thumb is that if you want to OC, the stock CPU fan and heatsink isn't good enough. So I wouldn't risk it, you need a better cooler if you want to OC, no matter how you do it.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've oc'd 4 cpus with their stock coolers. It's not the best, but it's doable.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It is doable with the stock heatsink...HOWEVER why bother? A simple 25 dollar investment is all that it takes to remove this OC limitor. Pickup a cheap CM 212+. It will not sound like a buzzsaw, will cool the cpu MUCH better, allow for higher OCs before you cook the cpu and litterally is only going to cost you 25 bucks or so. So the question becomes...why would you NOT spend the 25 bucks? ;)

YMMV but there is a HUGE difference between 'doable' and 'smart'.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 29, 2013, 06:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

yeah it gets really noisy XD
Old March 31, 2013, 11:46 PM
Rookie

yeah.. kinda figured as much.
I thought that there might be a slight chance it was doable with the (dummy oc) because I was assuming that it wouldn't push the cpu past it's limits in regards to stock cooling because I read dummy oc just gives you a little more juice without going overboard.
I defiantly wouldn't take a chance like that.
I probably will grab me a more premium cooler if I deiced to oc.
I just needed to reaffirm what I was already thinking.

Thanks guys!
Old May 3, 2013, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The dummy OC on the Evga Board is certainly alright with the Stock Heat Sink. It is an extremely low OC.
BUT, as AKG suggested spend $25 get yourself that AHS, DISABLE Dummy OC and start a real OC.

I had that Board and was able to get an old I7 920 to 3.9 Ghz fairly easily.