Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2013, 08:25 AM
Rookie

Default Overclocking Q8200 on an Asrock motherboard

Hi this is a first for me to overclock a machine.
Basically my son was given this for nothing and just wants to play flight games on it but wants to get the most out of it but not wanting to spend anything (teen for you)......
Specs of the computer are :

GRAPHICS : GTX 260 XFX
ASROCK G31M-S 2.0
INTEL Q8200 CPU
500GB HARD DRIVE
4GB MEMORY
500W PSU

Now the question is how do I overclock this machine to get full potential from it as i know its just a stock cpu fan on it if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated...
Oh, I seen this on the asrock site that theres a OC Tuner but dont want to mess with settings as i am not sure on what to do..
Old March 18, 2013, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

have you tried playing flight games on it yet. Its a pretty good older system. I would go get a coolermaster TX3 cpu cooler its 6.88 right now at canadacomputers. If you want to start clocking it. Then just youtube or read overclocking guides for a core2quad and slowly increase. and check then rinse and repeat until your happy with what you have. watch this. or read this. enjoy
Old March 18, 2013, 10:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Those G series chipsets don't overclock at all so you might be out of luck. I have the similar combo (G serries chipset/CPU) and I can't get anything out of the CPU (even though I use to overclock it on a P45 chipset).
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old March 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydu View Post
have you tried playing flight games on it yet. Its a pretty good older system. I would go get a coolermaster TX3 cpu cooler its 6.88 right now at canadacomputers. If you want to start clocking it. Then just youtube or read overclocking guides for a core2quad and slowly increase. and check then rinse and repeat until your happy with what you have. watch this. or read this. enjoy
Tried playing the game with the onboard graphics but not supported...
Have opened another post regarding the issue I have with the graphics card here :

h**p://**w.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/60261-graphics-card-help-issue-pci-e.html#post697233

But for some reason it wont let me allow for pictures or lnks?..anyway..
Dont want to talk about the graphics issue as thats another topic...

Tried youtube and seen someone clocking the Q8200 to 2.93 then to 3 GHz which I thought was cool
But there guide is hard to follow for me...
Changed one setting in Bios from 333 to 427 system switched off then Booted but stuck on
Starting Windows and had to remove battery from board to put it back...
Dont know if its because I didnt change battery voltage or not..

Thanks
Old March 18, 2013, 01:34 PM
MVP

Unfortunately, the G31 chipset isn't a great overclocking chipset. It barely is 333 FSB stable, you won't find many boards that even hit 350. I would suggest you start going up one FSB at a time and then rebooting. If it boots into BIOS it will likely be stable, at least in my experience with G31.

Move FSB up 1
Save Settings
when it reboots hit DEL to enter BIOS again before going into operating system
Move FSB up 1
Save Settings
once the board will not boot anymore, move it back one FSB and enter operating system to check for stability.

I suspect you'll find it only goes to about 340-345, the chip might have much more headroom but the chipset doesn't do much more than that. If you want a better overclocking, but cheaper board, look for a P35 or P45 chipset.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As stated above the G31 chipset is not meant for overclocking. It was a cheap chipset mean for office desktop builds.

Because you are a new member with <5 posts, it won't let you post links. This is to cut down on spammers and spambots flooding the boards. Please do not repost the same questions in different threads multiple times.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:33 PM
Rookie

Yeah but on youtube the board is being overclocked and there is an OC Tuner for it on there website

Just dont know the settings to use...

Also as its a Q8200 would this be ok for my son to play flight games ? or would another CPU be better

Quote:
6th Post Im on a roll
Old March 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
MVP

I'm not real familiar with Asrock OC Tuner but if its like the other overclocking software out there it probably provides basic options for overclocking. Asrock OC Tuner Guide. Found this, it might be helpful for you. What you want to do is raise the CPU frequency slowly, I wouldn't mess with the voltage features. If the machine locks up then you've gone too far. Just reset and your original settings will be reloaded, make sure you DO NOT click "AUTO APPLY WHEN PROGRAM STARTS" since you may end up with a bad clock and no way to remove it. Instead make note where it locked up after raising the frequency slowly and then when you reset back it off a bit and test for stability. Once you know the frequency where it is stable you can use that to enter it into your BIOS.

As for flight games, I don't know much about them but if they are like other games they don't generally tax the CPU too heavily and using a 775 Quad should be adequate, it much more dependent on your graphics card. Increased investment in that department would probably provide better results.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:57 AM
Rookie

Currently sitting on 3GHz stable on setting at 400 (Auto is 333)
Been running it for 2 hours or so now do i need to adjust memory setting as it says in Bios over 2.000 is overclocking in Red?
As I cant see this info on anything and its currently set to Auto in Dram Voltage
Starts at 1.795V or something then goes up by 2.100
Or any changes in Dram Frequency??

Also whats the difference between CPU,PCIE ASync and CPU,PCIE Sync?
As I have it currently on the 2nd one ???

Thanks

Last edited by EwokiE; March 20, 2013 at 05:58 AM.