Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2015, 06:56 AM
Top Prospect

You should be OK with a valid data file trodas. Never know though when it comes down to it. I have ways to speed my calculation up if need be that shouldn't be an issue but thanks for the concern.
Old August 30, 2015, 07:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Dead Things -
Quote:
I've got your back trodas.
Thanks. I quess it is time to ask Christian Ney about that dirty attack.

Johan45 -
Quote:
You should be OK with a valid data file trodas.
Indeed. Also I posted the screens from the calcalation during the calculation all the time over HWbot forum, so claiming "not verified" is quite a utter BS there. Refresh problems are refresh problems. Not much people get as slow, as I'm, so that could be it. Run 3x CPU-Z slow-down and GPUPI v2.2 again and we see, when first batch show up :D

Hopefully soon, it is almost 2 days now, lol...

On the other hands, my Asus TXP4-X proved itself and booted into Windows XP SP1.0a at 10.7MHz P90. The display is partly trashed, but readable. There are many defects, but 3.75MHz PCI bus is not really a standard, lol.
If I could, somehow, force the VGA only driver (S3 Trio64 v1), then things would have been better :( Or dunno, what I can do...

Never the less, it will be possible to make a 10.7MHz validation now and 7.14MHz Intel validation with Pentium Overdrive is likely. That should take care of the lowest CPU clock for Intel. However my mobo fail to post with K5-75 at the 7.14MHz FSB settings. What now? K6? K6-2?
75MHz AMD K5-75 is too high clock :(

PS: and Aquamark is over the half now!
Old August 31, 2015, 12:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

GPUPI v2.2 - and looks like I overdid it:

In 30 remaining days, when there will be 38h 43min per loop (2323min x 19 = 735.61h = 30.6days), it migth be necessary to end the CPU load at loop 18 or so and God forbid the loops become slower after the first few ones...
Old August 31, 2015, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
The display is partly trashed, but readable.
Would an ISA VGA card be better?

Follow my benching, folding, mining and miscellaneous shenanigans @dt_oc
Old August 31, 2015, 12:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

No idea. Maybe just unsupported card, so it will run in VGA regime, where the graphics is fine? This is ughly:

(S3 Trio64 v1)

I did not remember any graphic quirks on Win98se back in 2008, but that might be S3 Trio64 v2 ... or it might run in VGA mode only. All depends on what the Win98se do with the card w/o drivers... Or maybe too old caps on the Trio that cannot handle the superlow clock?

I have video of the validation attempt, 32min long, if you are interesed...
Old August 31, 2015, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe try goofing around with the CPU-Z config file a bit to see if you can get it to cooperate: HWBOT forum - View Single Post - The official HWBOT Team Cup 2015 - SC1: CPU Challenge thread.

It didn't work for me on my Ali V-based board, but it might help you.

Old September 2, 2015, 02:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

It makes practically all the info disappear, but no idea what would happen on the 7.14MHz. Now I waiting for SuperPi 32M to finish on K5 and then I try to solder the crystal to the PS/2 controller to make the keyboard and mouse works in the 7.14MHz FSB clock. Hopefully I suceed.

Next step then will be 32MHz bus.

If I understand that right, then it is possible to lock on the PCI bus to 32MHz regardless of the FSB clock. That would allow me to overclock into 83MHz FSB w/o problems (unreliable IDE controller) on the PCI bus...!

Selecting BSEL = 0 could be pretty cool mod and I cannot understand, why Asus did not do it already. When using PLL chip that can do PCI lock - it is almost a crime not to utilize that...!

PS: my Aquamark superslow run since 13.8. get to 3700 frames drawn! Hooooray!

PS 2: Looks like the starting loops will took around 38h to go:

I wonder, if after the loop 4 it get again to be like almost 5x slower: http://s30.postimg.org/y72p5nt8h/GPU..._6_48h_wtf.jpg
First 4 loops are roughly per 3h each, then it get to 14h for each loop. If that applies on same HW (just less CPU time now), then 38 x 4.666 is 177h (7,3 days!!!) per one single loop...

That would be, well... very very *VERY* slow?

PS3: There is the video with attempted validation:

The fail is the time. To save the validation file, I give the machine 6,5 minutes. Bad idea! When it should produce equal amount of work, the report.txt time, it took about 8h...! Mostly because high CPU load. To see, if the CPU-Z already exited (meaning work is done) I run the taskcmd as well, but just updating the display consume at 10.7MHz almost all CPU time...!
So I run it at evening and at morning, 7:07h the report was done, while we are sleeping...

Next attempt will be w/o limited time, lol. Too slow. But you see plenty of the problems with such slow PCI bus. Using just VGA output is fine, tough. So I need to either force WinXP to not have support for this S3 Trio64 card (to make them run in VGA mode, witch is okay) or change the videocard to one, that is not supported by Win internal drivers (again forcing VGA mode).

Last edited by trodas; September 2, 2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old September 6, 2015, 09:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Aaaargh! I just moved a mouse over the GPUPI v2.2 and... all the previous information are GONE now:

So I maintain that there IS a refresh bug. It is repeatable :( See the mouse? It changed to "edit mode" and the texts are gone now. No wonder people would probably complain that this might be a "cheat"... when it is a bug :(
Old September 8, 2015, 11:22 AM
Top Prospect

Looks like you should just leave it alone trodas. I haven't seen that bug in my run yet?
Old September 10, 2015, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey trodas - here's that quick regedit shortcut we were talking about. Made for XP. YMMV with other Windows versions.

1. Unzip
2. Double click
3. Reboot
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

For other folks who may be wondering what this is... This will edit the Registry in XP (and, ostensibly, other Windows versions as well to some degree) to disable a pantload of services and tweak some other settings to optimize it for running benchmarks like SuperPi, PiFast and wPrime. Take heed! Do not attempt to merge this with the registry in your daily driver or any other machine you plan to use for anything other than benching.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bpres.zip (2.1 KB, 22 views)