Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2013, 10:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Talking

Guys, you make me laugh. Okay then, I joined Hardware Canucks team and I started thinking about some meaningfull contributions. Some achievements are really like made for me, like the one "Achievement: Make 5 3DMark submissions with a very low score."

That won't be hard at all. Where is my FX5200 card... it can be downlocked that much, that it is unbelievable. Plus I can run it on very slow machine - JetWay V266B.

There it was a competiton on OCWorkbench to get the lowest 3DMark score. I win it, by sheer numbers, but get disqualified because the drivers I used was beta and not WHQ ones ... ECS Contest - GeForce 8500GT, 8600GT and 8600GTS Graphics card giveaway - Page 14 - OCWorkbench Lifestyle and Tech Forums

Snip of the old post:

I got score 6 3DMarks 2005 now!

Samxon caps rule! Now testing 4Mhz for core...

Abit BX133-Raid, VIA C3 Nehemiah 66 x 9
Gigabite(?) FX5200 8/50Mhz ( thread about the card used to take this score )

3DMark 2005 6 3D marks / 8 CPU marks, GPU at 8/50
Result not found
(link get invalid as soon, as I post better score )

...so looking at last guy who get the low scores for scores about 88 and 68 Marks - this is easy to surpass

Last edited by trodas; October 3, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old October 6, 2013, 04:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Talking

Uhm, looks like the JetWay V266B board have hard time powering the FX5200 stable at low clocks, best I managed so far was 12/80 MHz (or 14/76 MHz - depends on what you take as better) runs, while the resulting screenshot is HELL. The windows hardly move, sometimes get corrupted, then one have to wait minutes, screen flicking, signal is lost on the monitor many times... starting CPU-Z took minutes as well... And too much windows on screen = mause hardly move, etc.

Bloody hell, but there it is - 12/80 gives 65 3D Marks:

On side note, sometimes unique HW (the MSI PM8M3-V mainboard) is quite interesting to bench. I just looked at WinRAR scores and there was a P4 at 3.4GHz one, witch was 389MB/sec. So I tested mine and got 405MB/sec when not everclocked
Instant 1st place

trodas`s WinRAR score: 405 KB/s with a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Prescott

But the guy I beat is from Puerto Rico (at first I mistaken it for Cuba):
MrPaco`s WinRAR score: 380 KB/s with a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Prescott
...and it is not challenge to be first from two guys Dunno why he need 4GHz for that low score (FSB 240MHz, rams 194MHz), when I beat him easily with just 3.4GHz (FSB 200MHz, rams 200MHz)...

Last edited by trodas; October 6, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Having to use unique HW result in easy WR for the current HW:
PM8M3-V @ HWBOT

All records are mine, lol. MSI should be quite happy, as there is a little chance, that someone recap his MSI PM8M3-V mobo to compete with me and possibly beat my scores
(of course with working GFX card in AGP mode it would be kinda easy, as my card run in PCI mode (speed-killer) and also FX 6800 GT is nothing stellar and there are faster cards for AGP slot)

So since I cannot compete with the i5 and i7 guys in terms of CPU power (much less with the graphic power), then I look and find some areas where I can do well:

...of course the first submission is automatic, but very low 3DMark scores give me some work to do... 20 submissions with MSI mainboard is not that hard also, 50 will be worser, but now I have another MSI mobo... 25 different overclocked nVidia cards? I did not see a problem there, where is my Riva TNT2?
But I was somewhat surprised by the golden cup and easy win on the PerformaceTest test with best score for all P4 650 CPU's. Not much peoples seems to have working P4 systems these days, so I can easily beat them all up, lol

That one looks easy too:
Submit 5 SuperPI 32M runs which took over 12 hours to finish.
Old October 8, 2013, 03:52 PM
MVP

You also have to remember that a lot of the people don't even bench with beta benchmarks, if it isn't worth hardware points many people don't bother running it.

Don't forget the Aquamark one too, I only did it once and that was enough for me...

Old October 9, 2013, 12:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

True, you are right. But with my HW, I cannot be so picky :) I have to run what does run :) And I wanted to do the Aquamarks too, but the rules says that one have to use the HWbot edition of the Aquamark3. While the original Aquamark3 works perfectly on Win2k OS, then HWbot edition need Windows XP SP2 and later...
So no-go for me ATM. But I may consider it later.

And I thought that the SuperPi 32M for 12h+ would be easy, but I was mistaken. I underclock Duron 750 to 262MHz:

...and the damn suxxka finished 32M SuperPi in 8h 30min... Grrrrrrrr!!!

Gotta unlock the multiplier and take it even lower :) Or grab some Pentium (1) boards, that would do the trick for sure! :)
Old October 9, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah - I've got a bunch of those >12h SPi32 benchmarks under my belt. I tell ya, those were exciting runs!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 10, 2013, 10:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Sure thing, it is a must Just the Duron was too fast, heheh.

Never mind. Do you think that someone can sugest me some nice timings for Mushkin Enhanced stick? (DDR1, Winbond BH-6 chips, sadly) I got (sadly only one ATM) in my Opteron machine and trying to figure out how to make some nicer score out of it.
From default speed 1478MB/s (Memtest 4.2) I jumped to 1610MB/s just by tweaking the default settings to what should be good. Sadly there are some things I did not understand (and Mushkin support forum took it's time to send me the validation email, so, that suxx) what to set best...
...and also what timing are best to relax, to get higher when this will be too much for the poor chips :)

Mainly I did not understand:
TRFC (9-24) - set as 24 ATM and since this seems to be refresh time, then the higher the better, probably?
TRWT (1-5 or auto) - set as 2 ATM - could Mushkin rams pass 1?
TWTR (1-2) - set as 2 ATM - could Mushkin rams pass 1?
TWR (2-3) - set as 3 ATM, but even OCZ rams did 2, so I quess Mushkin can do 2 too, right? (tested during typing this and seems to be OK...)

To get the idea what settings are there, take a look:

Sapphire Grouper A9RX480 mobo settings, Opteron 148
FSB bus frequency 279Mhz
HTT divider ratio 800Mhz or 4x
CPU FSB multiplier 10
PCIExpress frequency 111

Radeon Xpress 200 Voltage Default (1.22V)
CPU Voltage Default (1.40V)
HTT Voltage Default (1,22V)
PCI-E 1.2 Voltage Default (1,22V)
PCI-E 1.8 Voltage Default (1,80V)

HT Link Configuration Enabled
Upstream LDT Bus Width 16bit
Downstream LDT Bus Width 16bit
LDT Bush Frequency 800Mhz (4 x FSB)
NB HT PLL Control Manual
PLL High Speed Mode High Speed
PLL Stability Calibration 00 (00 - 1F)

Memclock DRAM Frequency divider 166
Refresh Period (Tref) 200 - 7.8us

1T/2T mem timing (Command Per Clock) 1T
Read Preamble Time 5,5ns
Async Latency value 7ns
R/W Queue Bypass Count 16x
Dynamic Iddle Counter Disabled
IdleCycle Limit 256 cycles
Bypass Max 7
Memory DQ Drive Strength Not Reduced
ODD divisor correct Disabled
DRAM Drive Strength Normal Drive
DQS Hysteresis Disabled
Burst20pt Disabled
Digital Locked Loop (DLL) Enabled
Disable Jitter Disabled
DDR Memory Drive Strength Nominal
Dual DIMM Auto
DLL Speed Override Enabled
DLL Speed High Speed

32 Byte Granularity Disabled

231MHz OCZP4001G ram timings (probably not very optimal, as it looks now to me)
TCL - 2,5
TRAS - 7
TRCD - 3
TRP -3
TRRD - 3
TRC - 16
TRFC - 18
TRWT -5
TWTR - 2
TWR - 3
2,64V

200MHz Mushkin Ehnanced PC3200 ram timings
TCL - 2
TRAS - 6
TRCD - 2
TRP - 2
TRRD - 2
TRC - 8
TRFC - 24
TRWT - 2
TWTR - 2
TWR - 2
2,72V
Old October 11, 2013, 06:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face

After following a Mushkin advice to set loose timings first, I get nasty surprise. Loosening the timings to 3-3-3-8 TRC 13 and TRFC 18 cause bios lockup and mobo beeping desperately. I quess that, like VIA, the CAS 3 is probably no-go on the RX480 chipset :(

So, this settings works fine:

There is Everest report about the rams:

...and I tried the relaxed settings into the AMD64Tweaker (getting tired of setting the bios and bricking the mobo):

Set 3-3-3-8 TRC 14 and TRFC 18 - immediate lockup, total freeze.
Set just TCL to 3 - immediate lockup, total freeze.
So I tried TCL 2.5 setting (just this) - and it seems to work, worked for half of sec, till I tried to move my cursor to set the another settings to 3... to get relaxed timings.

The mainboard seems refuse to accept anything bellow TCL 2 at this point. But with TCCD rams I used it at 2,5-3-3-7 TRC 16 and TRFC 18! That is nuts. No drive strenght (Memory DQ Drive Strength, DRAM Drive Strength and DDR Memory Drive Strength) changed from default.

Beats me.

Could be that the NB HTT PLL Control set to High speed and also the PLL High Speed Mode set to High Speed predetermine that nothing under TCL 2 is acceptable? Nop... it freezed when I disable both of these settings as well :(
Old December 20, 2013, 03:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Talking

When I joined Hardware Cannucks OC group, I was not sure that my oldie HW stuff could get any usefull. However it looks like that it is not going that bad - 8th place is not that bad, given I did not yet overclock my Opteron at all :) (206MHz is not a overclock)

HW Cannucks members should move a bit
Old January 20, 2014, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A quick update:

It's been a crazy January for me, but this weekend I will be updating the team with...

• Final results in the 2013 Championship Cup
  • A recap of another awesome showing for Canada in the Country Cup
  • A new overclocking challenge, and the first of the 2014 season
  • An announcement from my co-captain Gav
  • A picture of me as a baby in the bathtub

Wait, what? I never agreed to that! Seriously, who writes this garbage?!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!