Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Default Beginner to Overclocking

Hello everyone,

Recently I got interested in overclocking my CPU to 4.0-4.5ghz due to the fact I don't want to potentially bottleneck my gpu in games like Crysis 3. I have never overclocked before and was curious if anyone would be able to walk me through getting a safe and stable overclock. And should I overclock anything else? Should I even be looking into this?

My specs are as follows:
CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 windforce (factory overlclocked) 2GB
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 8GB
PSU: Corsair TX850 V2
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V-PRO

Let me know If you need anymore of my specs.

Last edited by SirFrancisDuck; February 18, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:04 PM
Top Prospect

Welcome fellow nooby!

In my own recent efforts to overclock both CPU and GPU I've stumbled upon a few things. Firstly, I only game so I simply used AI Suite 2 to achieve a 4.2ghz OC on my 3570k. Unimpressive yes, but until or if I ever need much more power I'm satisfied with this. Someone more knowledgeable than myself will hopefully chime in.

As for the GPU, it's factory OC'd but it indeed has room to improve as well. This is the guide I used on my 660ti and I saw reasonable improvements in FPS, definitely something I'd look into if you're picking up Crysis. It's a lot to take it and can seem a little intimidating, but it's really not that bad.

~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~

Best of luck!
Old February 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg View Post
Welcome fellow nooby!

In my own recent efforts to overclock both CPU and GPU I've stumbled upon a few things. Firstly, I only game so I simply used AI Suite 2 to achieve a 4.2ghz OC on my 3570k. Unimpressive yes, but until or if I ever need much more power I'm satisfied with this. Someone more knowledgeable than myself will hopefully chime in.

As for the GPU, it's factory OC'd but it indeed has room to improve as well. This is the guide I used on my 660ti and I saw reasonable improvements in FPS, definitely something I'd look into if you're picking up Crysis. It's a lot to take it and can seem a little intimidating, but it's really not that bad.

~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~

Best of luck!
Thanks for the reply,

I am really happy that you got some good results with your overclock. And that guide you linked seems really great and I will for sure read it before tweaking with my GPU. And I hope your right about it not being that bad as right now it seems pretty intimidating which is why I posted this.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Very simple as Asus include a good OC tuner right in their bios:
1.go into your bios.
2.Go into advanced mode. Top right.
3. Click on AI Tweaker tab.
4. Click on AI Overclock Tuner.
5. Click on Auto or XMP. Sit back and watch. Enjoy your overclock.

Page 3-7 and 3-8 in your manual.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Very simple as Asus include a good OC tuner right in their bios:
1.go into your bios.
2.Go into advanced mode. Top right.
3. Click on AI Tweaker tab.
4. Click on AI Overclock Tuner.
5. Click on Auto or XMP. Sit back and watch. Enjoy your overclock.

Page 3-7 and 3-8 in your manual.
Thanks for the reply,

I just have one question, don't the auto overclock features always clock the voltage too high? That's at least what I heard so I never really looked into it.

Edit: just looked in my bios and that was already turned on to auto. Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'm just going to have to learn to manually overclock it.

Last edited by SirFrancisDuck; February 18, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It gives you a decent starting point to fine tune from. And yes, I'll agree that it usually defaults to a higher voltage than necessary, but you can tweak that.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
It gives you a decent starting point to fine tune from. And yes, I'll agree that it usually defaults to a higher voltage than necessary, but you can tweak that.
Alright, do you know of any good guides I can look at to get the results I am looking for?
I only have that one regarding overclocking a GTX 670.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's what makes overclocking the K processors so easy. Set your desired voltage, and increase the multiplier (start at 40-42). Test while watching max temperature. If if passes, increase multiplier and repeat. If it doesn't, reduce the multiplier or increase the voltage.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can check out the ASUS guide that comes with screenshots if you like: Overclocking the Core i5 2500K on the Maximus IV GENE-Z

However as SugarJ mentioned overclock to 4.5GHz is really just VCore and multiplier unless you're really unlucky with your chip. Note I'm one of those unlucky people so I needed 0.05V more than the guide specified for this "lazy" OC
Old February 21, 2013, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
You can check out the ASUS guide that comes with screenshots if you like: Overclocking the Core i5 2500K on the Maximus IV GENE-Z

However as SugarJ mentioned overclock to 4.5GHz is really just VCore and multiplier unless you're really unlucky with your chip. Note I'm one of those unlucky people so I needed 0.05V more than the guide specified for this "lazy" OC
Haha thanks for actually providing I guide, I know it's easy but I just really don't wanna screw anything up

But I will for sure give it a try soon when I have time and will post how I managed with that. And after I might overclocking my gpu even more who knows.