Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2013, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default removing clay from MB

Ok like well i have a board that i would like to give to a buddy who cant offered a decent pc but it covered in modeling clay any help fro it's removal would be most helpful thanks all
Old February 13, 2013, 01:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Try heating with a hairdryer
Old February 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

tried that all it did was make it ten times worse it didnt turn to liquid it just made it smear all over everything i now know why i only use eraser lol thanks
Old February 13, 2013, 02:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
tried that all it did was make it ten times worse it didnt turn to liquid it just made it smear all over everything i now know why i only use eraser lol thanks
That sucks, lol. I thought it would be similar to eraser...though the first batch of eraser I bought was a darker colour and an absolute wh@re to get off.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try using a ball of clay and press it against the clay on the board to pick it up?

Could always put the board in the dishwasher as well. That should do the trick.

I tend to stick to dragon skin.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do some research on motherboard washing. From what I understand you take off all the heat sinks and thermal greases, then bathe it in soapy water, treat it with isopropanol spray (electronics cleaner) and let it dry out for a few days to be sure it works.

This is sound in theory but I have never had to do it myself. Good luck.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dishwasher is safe, I've used it with no soap to clean electronics that have been submersed in salt water.

Also, I've used Canadian Tire brake cleaner to wash motherboards that newbs have poured half a bottle of thermal paste in the socket. It works well and hasn't ever seemed to hurt anything. Not sure if it would touch clay however, but I would think so.

Also, after washing the board, bake it in the oven at 125F or whatever the lowest setting is, but leave the oven door open 3 to 4 inches by wedging a towel in there. After an hour it'll be perfectly dry and ready to go.

I've done this successfully with power supplies as well - from old school smokers. NOTHING was gonna get that clean except for what I described.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:43 PM
MVP

I've used gun cleaner to clean out Vaseline in cpu sockets (from doing sub zero cpu cooling), left the socket in pristine condition, and artist eraser for around the cpu socket. The eraser just came off easy as.

But for removing clay...not really sure. I would almost think about making it colder and hoping the clumps would stick together more (when removing).

Post a pic of this mess =)

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old February 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks all will try