Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   My 2500k Overclocking Adventure (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/59457-my-2500k-overclocking-adventure.html)

igot6strings February 1, 2013 08:59 AM

My 2500k Overclocking Adventure

Question. I'm new to sandybridge. I have my offset set to -0.08 and my VID shows as 1.43v at 4.5ghz. Does that mean my voltage is actually 1.35v? From what I understand Voltage = VID +/- Offset? Is that correct? If someone can clear that up for me it'd be greatly appreciated. TY!

SKYMTL February 1, 2013 09:18 AM

Which motherboard are you using?

In some cases, the overclocking voltage offset will be default voltage + offset = total voltage. For example, if your CPU's default voltage is 1.35V, adding an offset of 0.050V will result in a voltage of 1.40V before vdroop.

igot6strings February 1, 2013 09:44 AM

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev. 1.0)

Currently it shows 1.43v VID at load. I have my offset set at -0.08. All is stable and temps great however my understanding of vid and offset is next to nothing. I assumed that since I set offset -0.08 that my voltage is actually1.35v. Is that incorrect?

SKYMTL February 1, 2013 09:58 AM

Remember, VID is the actual stock voltage of the chip as read by the motherboard. VID is short for "voltage identification". The VCore is the actual AMOUNT of voltage being applied to said chip.

I don't really see how your mobo is picking up VID as 1.43V since the 2500K's default voltage is 1.20V. It could be applying LLC to prevent VDroop or your monitoring software may be off.

Basically, stock voltage (VID) + 0.08 = 1.28V. Honestly though, mobos rarely get VID right so expect some variance.

Perineum February 1, 2013 10:53 AM

Also, that CPU should be able to do 4.5ghz at around 1.35v

igot6strings February 1, 2013 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Below is a screenshot of hwinfo sensors page for my cpu. I assume this to be accurate as most of the data matches up with other monitoring software I've tried. CPUZ was out too lunch saying my core voltage was 1.08 at load. From the info below I guess its safe to assume that all is well and I can crank it up a few more notches?

Perineum February 1, 2013 12:52 PM

Realtemp works to show you the cpu voltage and the heat as well.

I find that getting the OC perfect is a variance of the vdroop level settings, the offset voltage and the right OC multiplier.

I also find that the amount of work involved in getting a stable OC after 4.5 takes a hell of a lot more voltage and time. 4.5ghz seems to be the sweet spot.

igot6strings February 1, 2013 12:55 PM

What do you think about my numbers Perineum? Are those decent for 4.5?

Phill February 2, 2013 11:14 AM

4.5Ghz with 1.43v is not so good. You should be able to run 4.5 with 1.35v like Perineum mentioned earlier.

As far as temps, IMHO keep them under 80C.

Perineum February 2, 2013 11:49 AM

I had one i7 2600K do 4.5 with one step up from stock voltage.... surprisingly, it was still a pain in the ass to get stable at even 4.8ghz.

And yes, you should be able to get your 4.5ghz in and around 1.30 to 1.35

If your offset isn't + up too much then just lower your Load Line Calibration (LLC) level from "earth destroying" to merely "devastation". Depending on the MB that'll keep your voltage nice and low while idling and then the LLC will push the core voltage to the right amount.

IE: usually the different "levels" or steppings of LLC will give a boost to core voltage when loaded.

+25%
+50%
+75%
+100%

etc.

The names are usually like "extreme", "high", etc and each level steps up.

So leaving your offset voltage alone you could just step down your LLC and get right into the loaded VID of 1.33 or so without doing anything else.

.... but that all depends on your motherboard. Experimentation will be needed.