Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2013, 07:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Still tweaking, and got it to be 'semi-stable" at 48x.

But I'm finding some instabilities, e.g. engaging or disengaging Xfire sends the PC into black screen freeze and I have to reset.

I did try Nova's benchmark again with Xfire disabled, still getting a low score 710, nothing like the 1,000 mark I can hit in Win7.

Tried with and without Lucid Virtu-MVP enabled and not enabled, no big difference.

I'll try a game with FRAPs running in Win8 and see what kinds of FPS I can get. But I've discovered if I limit the display to one screen then my FPS goes way up, so FPS is irrelevant unless compared to similar screen resolutions.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Win7 Vs Win8 in Cinebench.

Loaded Cinebench to see what it saw.

Unfortunately I got an "OpenGL Reference matching test failure" warning and even though I retried the test with various settings I was not able to get past that error for the GPU test. So no comparisons to the FPS between Win7 and Win8. Although the Win8 FPS was respectable ( or so I think?)

Any tips on getting the OpenGL GPU test to work in Win7. The resolution is the same in both so not sure why it works in Win8 but not Win7. Both are 64bit.

Here is Win8 results:

I was able to run the CPU test, and the same CPU tested in Win7 vs Win8 shows considerable differences;

My Win7 results:

The difference with the two orange results are one is at 43X CPU multiplier and the other I upped the multiplier in AI Suite to 44x and see a slight increase. The bottom two results are the tests done in Win8.

Thoughts on the differences???

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 22, 2013, 08:33 PM
Allstar

I honestly don't know what to say. As long as no throttling has happened under windows 8 it has to be a driver of some sort. I can tell you the apu builds I have done with windows 8 have all impressed me. The only thing that ticked me off in early builds was steams big picture would crash in windows 8 on an apu system.

My 8350 , has the same core design with a crossfire build as well and I just do not get this dive in results going to windows 8. If you do figure this out please post your findings I would be interested what happened.

Something else to do is save your bios settings and run stock and see if its any different Between the OSes, throttling can kick in for funny reasons. You might have already done this, I am mobile right now and I can't remember if you had done this.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Too New for Terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I honestly don't know what to say. As long as no throttling has happened under windows 8 it has to be a driver of some sort. I can tell you the apu builds I have done with windows 8 have all impressed me. The only thing that ticked me off in early builds was steams big picture would crash in windows 8 on an apu system.

My 8350 , has the same core design with a crossfire build as well and I just do not get this dive in results going to windows 8. If you do figure this out please post your findings I would be interested what happened.

Something else to do is save your bios settings and run stock and see if its any different Between the OSes, throttling can kick in for funny reasons. You might have already done this, I am mobile right now and I can't remember if you had done this.
Well I'm too new to this OC business to even full understand what your asking.

Did you see the Cinebench results, there at least Win8 got OK FPS (about 40) but the CPU test was significantly lower in Win7 than in Win8. (2.26 vs 3.52) which I take to mean the CPU test in Win7 is coming in 50% better than the Win8 test.

Run Stock? By that do you mean go to the default settings and see if that makes any difference?
"Throttling" - no idea what that term means, but it does not sound good. How would I know if there is any throttling going on?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 22, 2013, 08:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This is a snipe of my voltage as seen in ASUS AI Suite, I'm not sure how or if I should be adjusting the voltages or any of the other settings. I've mostly adjusted the Multiplier, and I've selected GPU OC as Extreme.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 23, 2013, 06:33 AM
Allstar

Throttling or dropping threads happen when you are pushing things to hard. So to make sure thats not happening and that you really do have a software problem in windows 8 reset everything back to factory defaults and test. You are not going for a high score but one that's pretty close between windows 7 and 8. run stock cpu, ram speeds for this. If they both come up close after that its overclocking that's causing this.

If thats the case, OC one thing at a time to determine whats causing the headache. ie OC the cpu but run ram and gpu at stock. If your scores stay within a margin of error between the two OSes start to combine your overclocks cpu + ram, but leave the gpu stock.

If even stock speeds are giving different scores then I would say its software and you are playing with drivers most likely. AMD tech should run better in windows 8 over a stock windows 7 install because windows 8 should feed the AMD cores better(ever so slightly better, but win 8 should come out on top with an AMD)
Old January 23, 2013, 11:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

OK - will put that off until I have some time to tinker with the system and see what I can see.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 24, 2013, 05:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Tinkering around with these settings I clicked on reset to Defaults in BIOS and then went to on to try and disable the Xfire to test the system "default". Un-enabling Xfire turned into a lot of trouble. My system would not boot properly (it shut down as soon as a clicked "apply" to the disabling Xfire. After many efforts to get the system to reboot (in either Win7 or Win8) I finally got back into windows. I had to select "repair" from a windows menu. Anyway, I finally got back into the system. and I did some testing in furmark, and noticed that the results were somewhat less (16 fps vs 26 fps), and then went to the AMD Vision Engine Control Centre (Catalyst) and noticed that in the Xfire section I no longer had the choice previously available to me, to either Xfire the two HD 6670's in my rig or "dual-graphic" one of the 6670's with the APU. Odd how that is now not an option. I did reenable Xfire and the system seems to have settled down. Any notions as to why I no longer have that option???

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Photoshop Elements Panorama Test

I decided it was time to get real.

I timed my two OS's with the task of stitching together six, and four images (each image is about 40+ MB) into one panoramic view. Photoshop Elements 10 makes this pretty easy, select your images in the organizer view, then click "New - Panorama" and PSE10 pretty well does the rest. There is a step mid way where you need to select the images again and tell the editor which type of panorama you want.

I used a stop watch on my new Blackberry Playbook and tested the systems. All the hardware settings were identical as were the settings in Ai Suite and AMD's Vision Control Centre/Catalyst. These were done with Xfire enabled.

Win7 wins by a large margin. Four images to Panorama Win7 = 2 min 25 seconds. Win8 = 4 min 44 sec.

Six images in Win7 - 3 min 50 seconds, but Win8 took 6 minutes 40 seconds. Almost twice as long in Win8 as in Win7. And Win8 has the advantage of access to all 32 GB of RAM, Win7 has to make do with 16 GB.

For the curious here is one of those images I used in my testing - a Family Fun Day we sponsored this past weekend.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 28, 2013, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm going to base it off immature drivers. Its been seen and tested plenty of times before when a new OS comes out.

I'm not surprised in the least bit.