Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2013, 12:17 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I personally don't care about these numbers very much. It's all about real world performance and what I feel. That being said, Windows 8 feels faster to me.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:20 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
That won't make the slightest diff. HP is only going to see 16gb not the 32gb.
I don't say it will make a diff. What will make a difference is this ;

"I'm using ASUS AI Suite to do most of my system adjustments. I've also set the BIOS to "extreme". "

AI is crapy with 7 and it's really sucks with Windows 8.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are you overlooking the gpu and cpu in the bios or through the os? What are you temps under prime95 -1 core plus running furmark. I think Sky had mentioned somewhere that amds software right now was the only accurate temp reading on the new amds. If you are overlooking in the os you might not have the exact same settings and might be overheating and causing it to throttle.

Also make sure your Memory is running as fast as it can go. I know amds like to default to 1333mhz, that would cause your gpu to choke.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Furmark and my BIOS OC settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Are you overlooking the gpu and cpu in the bios or through the os? What are you temps under prime95 -1 core plus running furmark. I think Sky had mentioned somewhere that amds software right now was the only accurate temp reading on the new amds. If you are overlooking in the os you might not have the exact same settings and might be overheating and causing it to throttle.

Also make sure your Memory is running as fast as it can go. I know amds like to default to 1333mhz, that would cause your gpu to choke.
Ok - I am overclocking (not overlooking) the CPU in Bios, and have set the GPU Bios option to "extreme" in ASUS BIOS settings. I've OC'd the CPU to 44x (tried more but system does not like it and will shut down).

In the OS I can OC another point or two to 45 or even 46 using ASUS's AI Suite. When I try to OS using AMD's CCC Vision Control it causes the system to shut down.

For Memory I'm using 1600 Mhz Kingston RAM but have it running at 1800 (CPU-Z reports an actual NB frequency in the range of 1785-1793 Mhz. I believe this is achieved in the BIOS when I set the CPU-NB value to 120%. I also set the CPU current to 130% and the CPU Voltage to Auto select. The "target" for memory is set to DDR3 1600 Mhz. NB Frequency is "auto". These are BIOS settings.

"What are you temps under prime95 -1 core plus running furmark?" 57 C - It would only let me select the 720 preset saying it could not go to full screen in 1080??? Will try this again in Win7 in a bit. I did not load Prime95, shy about "torture test" for the GPU. And not sure what you mean by 1 core plus running furmark. I just ran the furmark 720 test. Anyway, these are the results.

My temp's according to ASUS AI Suite Monitor show CPU temp of 40C and MB temp of 34 C. I left the AI monitor running in the background during the furmark test to track temperatures, the CPU rose gradually to about 51 then back down again to 40ish. The MB temp seemed pretty constant, maybe a degree or two on the graph.

I didn't see any temp report for the GPU in AI Suite but AMD Vision Engine Control Centre (VECC) reports GPU is about 40 C. (The same before and after the Furmark test, did not look at it during).

The GPU fan is running at 39%. I have not enabled Manual speed control on the GPU which is an option in AMD's VECC. Should I?

Curious note about AMD VECC, although I can switch to my second GPU which does show up as being enabled through Crossfire - AMD's VECC has no readings for this second GPU. (well almost none, it does show the fan speed at 20% but reports the Temp is 0 C , clock is 0 Mhz, activity is 0%. ) Is this normal? It is the same in Win8 & Win7 for this second GPU. It does get readings in Furmark and GPU-shark. (clicking GPU-Z does not seem to do anything?).

Here is my GPU-Shark view of my GPU's.

I'm using Fan Expert in AI Suite I've set a pretty aggressive fan speed kicking in at higher RPM at lower temperatures than the default settings, so I do hear a small hum of the fans but that's OK by me, rather keep the system cooler. I have two CPU fans (push-pull set up on a Coolermaster Hyper212plus) plus a front and rear fan - I went with an upgraded fans (Scythe "slip stream") which have independent control nobs, which are not much use, I set them to max and then control fan speed through the OS.

Still tweaking . . .

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Found a new GPU test at the Furmark - 3DGeek's website, simply called GpuTest. It says it supports Win8, unlike Furmark which does not mention Win8 (even though it seemed to work OK in Win8).

Anyway, here are these new results (also at 720, not 1080 because I get an error message saying try another resolution when I try 1080) FYI I'm running at 4800x900 screen resolution.

Shows 32 FPS.

Also just a note, I did re-run Furmark without ASUS AI Suite monitoring temperatures, not a significant difference between the two tests, but I did watch this one run and noticed that it is using 99% of GPU one, and 62% of GPU two. Not sure why only 62% of the second GPU capacity but that's what I saw on the screen. It also showed the integrated GPU in my APU(CPU) and it was at 0% which is what it should be as this is not enabled if two graphic cards are installed.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 20, 2013, 05:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I found Prime95 and put my CPU to a Torture Test - after three hours I shut it down, nothing should be tortured that long right? Anyway it passed 99 tests in that time,failed none, no warnings issued, the CPU temp rose to 60 C. Not sure how hot is too hot for a CPU or GPU (they stayed in the 30 - 40C range and the MB was mid 30 range. Seems only the CPU was being tested.

I also found that while I can set the system to 44x in BIOS and boot to Win8, Win7 has issues with the CPU set to 44x and shut down a few times. Works OK at 43 so I guess I'll just leave it there. 43x vs 44x don't expect that much of a difference. I can take it to 46x in AI Suite if I want to in Win8, Win7 likes 43x as max unless I'm prepared for sudden shut down.

I'll have to go back to FRAPS and see what I can see in the real world.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 20, 2013, 08:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I said prime 95 -1 core to give one core to feed furmark at the same time. It's a good overall stress test I find since it will push the apu to its max temp. Just looking at your testing, I didn't see you had crossfire enabled, try disabling it in windows 8 and see if it improves your video tests. Might be purely driver related with the apu hybrid xfire and windows 8.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok, Bluebyte will give it a try with crossfire disabled in Win8 and see what I get. I did reload FRAPS and played a couple of games. Could not get Dirt3 to play, something about being unable to authenticate. Hope my CD is not damaged? Anyway played a little Warbirds (older flight simulator) and Dirt Showdown. I found Dirt Showdown did not like Crossfire at all, it crashed (pardon the pun if you know the game). With cross fire disabled I could get about 60 fps when played on just my 24" LCD screen, when pushed to the full three screen array (4800x900) FPS dropped into the 20's and frankly the way I drive the wide screen made me dizzy when I was spinning the car about the dockyards, but it does look cool in the wide screen. I really didn't notice much of a difference visually between the 20 something wide screen and the 60 in the smaller screen.

With Warbirds, again it preferred the crossfire disabled, and I was getting 60 FPS in the wide 4800x900 screen. In flight simulators the wide screen is real nice as you can "look out the side window" and see the landing strip you miss judged go by or see bad guys coming at you. Planes don't spin around like little rally cars do in Dirt games - well at least not until they are spinning out of control after you've been hit and are crashing to the ground as warning buzzers flash "bail out!". I'm not very good at either game.

I do hope some of my newer games will appreciate the crossfired pair of HD6670's. Hate to think that the second 6670 is just taking up space in my PC case and of no real use.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 21, 2013, 07:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default APU hybrid Xfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
..... Might be purely driver related with the apu hybrid xfire and windows 8.
When you say APU hybrid Xfire - are you referring to AMD's "Dual Graphics" crossfire between the APU and a discrete card? I have two HD6670's Xfired, I'm not using the APU Graphics at all, even though it does show up in some tests, it is dormant. At least I believe that is the case, I had hoped that I could get all three into a three way Xfire, but I do not think that is possible, pursued that idea a while back.

In my FRAP's testing of games I did find that I had to disable Xfire for some games to work. I should do up a thread on Crossfire and the games I have, maybe somethings wrong with the way I'm set up, but I found last night that Dirt Showdown didn't like the either the two 6670's Xfired or the Dual Graphic mode with the APU & one 6670 Xfired, but did run on just the one 6670 GPU. Dirt3 just refused to load for me, but that had something to do with authentication, will pursue that later. Warbirds would start in Xfire but would close suddenly, it ran for quite a while with Xfire disabled, it is an older game but again why would having my graphics Xfired affect whether it runs or not?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 21, 2013, 05:27 PM
MVP

found similar results while benchmarking other things and droped windows 8 while it gets optimized also ran into driver flops with video once and a while.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2