Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
That is not good advice, your NH-D14 should perform favourably to closed-loop coolers.
i see something else noise ratio to cost ...read the fine print
Attached Images

Old January 2, 2013, 09:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do you really think the performance difference is enough to justify going out and buying another much more expensive cooler?

He already owns the NH-D14. He's shooting for 4.5Ghz on Ivy. You gave bad advice, and that's being polite man.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I appreciate all the defense guys, and my respect goes out to all the water cooling product and air cooling products out there. I'm in no stance to judge them as i've only had the noctua. I can say, however, that I'm perfectly happy with the noctua. It doesn't make noise (honestly i cant hear it), and it keeps my temps low, what more could i ask for? As for the weight, sure it weighs a bit, but id never send my whole pc out on a shipment. If i ever move, i will just take essential components out and individually pack them :). I wasn't able to stress test overnight because i passed out haha. I was talking to 777 last night, and it was 3 or 4 am here in spain. My system was running bf3 under 50c though @ ultra. Running 1650x1050, but i had a split second peak to like 57c and then back down to 50c. Overall, although i still have to stress test some more, i think my system is relatively stable. I must add too that i appreciate everyones help. Overclocking for me has been something i've stayed away from mainly because of fear. But its great to get this performance out of the 3770k. Brings back memories of when i first opened up my pc case! :D cheers everyone!

(i will update this thread if there are any issues)
Old January 3, 2013, 11:54 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Do you really think the performance difference is enough to justify going out and buying another much more expensive cooler?

He already owns the NH-D14. He's shooting for 4.5Ghz on Ivy. You gave bad advice, and that's being polite man.
Agreed that cooler is top of the food chain air cooling. he may gain 1-2*C going to a h100i if hes lucky some people see higher temps with the switch.

His cooler is overkill for 4.5ghz if anything but a couple things you can do to drop temps and gain stability.

Take the core voltage down - turn off your offset mode is what i usually do- bump your VCCSA and VCCIO slightly can stabilize things between mem and cpu at times yielding lower stable vcore usage-

Get some good thermal paste like mx-4 or gelid and remount that cooler with better paste a solid mount can drop temps considerably over a bad mount.

I7 930@4.0ghz
3770K@ 4.8ghz
2500k @ 4.7ghz

SF101 HW BOT
Old January 3, 2013, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright guys! I'll take everything into consideration :). I might buy some new thermal paste, but i haven't passed 55c (mainly 50c random peaks to 55c) while gaming maxing out graphics/fullscreen :D

Last edited by PcWizTech; January 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've experimented myself with my OC and different settings and personally I do not use "AUTO" settings for voltage offset. For some reason the voltage seems to increase more than it really needs to when OCing. After playing around with that setting I could run my OCs cooler. Personally I use a 0.03 value offset, you might want to start low and go upwards until you find the sweet spot. Also, I personally use AIDA64's stress test, it is more appropriate one to use for my Ivy Bridge processor. You probably have a bad mount, but your temps are definitely too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Paste is the one that came with the Noctua. Additionally, I've owned the rig for close to half a year without overclocking and never had any temps problems. Temps at stock clock speeds were ~20 idle, 60~full load. Today is the first day I've used real temp. Maybe real temp is displaying inaccurate temperatures?? Just a thought.

Case: Haf x with fan setup as follows:

2x200mm at top as exhaust
1x200mm side fan intake
1x200mm front fan intake
1x140 or 120mm rear fan as exhaust.

noctua with 2 fans attached.

Im using the P95 test in the picture. The guide i was following said to select blend, then custom, and set p95 to use 85 or 90 percent of available ram. I chose 85 percent.

first day using:
P95
Realtemp

EDIT: Bios Screenshot, keep in mind this is my first ever overclock. Maybe i've done something COMPLETELY wrong? :( I appreciate the help guys.

CPU-Z and RealTemp (notice 95C max from Prime95)

Prime95 Using 85% of Available RAM
Old January 4, 2013, 11:38 AM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

You may have a very bad sample of the 3770k, I was doing an overclock on the 3770k, and to no avail I was reaching 95-110c (voltage tweaking) on a 4.6ghz overclock with a CM 812. Once I swapped out the CPU to another 3770k, I was only hitting a peak of 84c~.

You will also want to check the CPU capability under DIGI+, sometimes, it defaults to 140% out of nowhere, I had this happen on one of the sabertooth boards. I was ripping my hair out, why a known good sample of 3570k was hitting temps of 90c @ 4.0ghz! Once I poked around, I realized it defaulted itself to 140%, once I dialed it back down to 100%, the temperatures dropped to something a whole lot more normal :).
Old January 4, 2013, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
UPDATE:
Prime95 test @4.5ghz vcore 1.26v no crash for 10 minutes. Max temps 67, 81, 76, 70. I read ivy bridge can run a bit high at times? Is this is a stable overclock? :D I'm starting to get the hang of this i think.

He seems to have solved the problem. Lowering voltage was the solution.

Also, if you're interested in more stress testing, try Folding @ Home. If you can run 24hrs of FAH, you can run anything.

Folding @ Home New Users Guide - V7 Client

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 5, 2013, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Brian brought up a very good tip. Although i have a stable overclock (no crashes still two days later) should i mess with the CPU Current Capability? Ever since I started overclocking i had it set at 140%. I turned it down to 110% after I read what Brian said to see if i could boot. I'm back at 140% because i don't want to mess with things that i shouldnt be messing with. So i ask you guys, should i have it at 140% or anything lower? Everything seems to be fine. Temps were the same at 110%
Old January 19, 2013, 09:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

1.35 is pretty high for ivy... I believe that is the vcore temps start getting ridiculous at. You may want to invest in some IC diamond Thermal paste, and reseat your dh-14. back down the voltage a little, and see if you can remain stable with temps under 94.... My gtx 470 hits 94 degrees, but it was made for that.... ivy bridge was not.