Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Prime 95 Error (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/58438-prime-95-error.html)

icu222much December 9, 2012 06:07 PM

Prime 95 Error

I'm trying to overclock my CPU, and when I'm running Prime95 I keep on getting the following error on one of my cores:

FATAL ERROR: Roudning was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. Hardware failure detected.

Does this mean I'm not giving enough voltage to my cpu, or my multiplier is too high? On my previous test, my voltage was at 1.100, my multiplier was at 41 and I received that error. I decided to increase my voltage to 1.105 and leave my multiplier at 41, which still produced that error. Am I doing something incorrect? The CPU is the only component I have overclocked on my system.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CM Hyper Evo 212
Patriot Viper 4x4GB

Currently running at:
Voltage: 1.105
Multiplier: 41

sswilson December 9, 2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icu222much (Post 676666)
I'm trying to overclock my CPU, and when I'm running Prime95 I keep on getting the following error on one of my cores:

FATAL ERROR: Roudning was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. Hardware failure detected.

Does this mean I'm not giving enough voltage to my cpu, or my multiplier is too high? On my previous test, my voltage was at 1.100, my multiplier was at 41 and I received that error. I decided to increase my voltage to 1.105 and leave my multiplier at 41, which still produced that error. Am I doing something incorrect? The CPU is the only component I have overclocked on my system.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CM Hyper Evo 212
Patriot Viper 4x4GB

Currently running at:
Voltage: 1.105
Multiplier: 41

Yes...... ;)

It could be any number of things whether it's voltages, or a multi/frequency that's beyond what your current setup will allow (mem/cpu/motherboard/chipset/etc.....) , but basically it's telling you that the OC isn't stable.

Are you taking the OC up slowly or did you pick a goal and attempt to set it? I normally pick a mid level OC that I know should be easy to attain and then once I assure myself that it's stable at that level I start bumping up slowly.

sf101 December 9, 2012 06:58 PM

usually when i get rounding error its a mem problem bump the voltage on that mem to 1.65v
while your at it bump your cpu voltage to 1.25 just to make sure.

icu222much December 9, 2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 676672)
Yes...... ;)

It could be any number of things whether it's voltages, or a multi/frequency that's beyond what your current setup will allow (mem/cpu/motherboard/chipset/etc.....) , but basically it's telling you that the OC isn't stable.

Are you taking the OC up slowly or did you pick a goal and attempt to set it? I normally pick a mid level OC that I know should be easy to attain and then once I assure myself that it's stable at that level I start bumping up slowly.

I started my values slowly. I started at default (34 multiplier, 1.100 voltage), and slowly increased my multiplier. When my multiplier was at 41, Prime95 started to give me the Fatal Error so I increased my voltage to 1.105. Should I try increasing my voltage to 1.110, or would that be too large of a jump?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf101 (Post 676687)
usually when i get rounding error its a mem problem bump the voltage on that mem to 1.65v
while your at it bump your cpu voltage to 1.25 just to make sure.

Is 1.25 too high for a 3575K?

My RAM says it should be using a voltage of 1.5. As I am not overclocking my RAM, shouldn't I just leave it at 1.5? If I am having a RAM problem, shouldn't it be detected in MemTest86+? I ran MemTest86+ for 12 hours with 6 passes and it was fine.

icu222much December 9, 2012 09:37 PM

I am also using both SpeedFan and Open Hardware Monitor to check my CPU temps while running the Torture Test option on Prime95. Both SpeedFan and Open Hardware are reporting different CPU temps. For example, SpeedFan is reporting 36*C, while Open Hardware is reporting 62*C. Are they using different sensors? Which one should I be paying attention to?

enaberif December 9, 2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icu222much (Post 676726)
I am also using both SpeedFan and Open Hardware Monitor to check my CPU temps while running the Torture Test option on Prime95. Both SpeedFan and Open Hardware are reporting different CPU temps. For example, SpeedFan is reporting 36*C, while Open Hardware is reporting 62*C. Are they using different sensors? Which one should I be paying attention to?

Should be using RealTemp more than anything else.

Speedfan doesn't work properly and I haven't liked it for a VERY long time.

Failing in P95 on what test? Blend, SmallFFT?

icu222much December 9, 2012 09:47 PM

I was running the default torture test (blend). After reading the description more carefully, I think I should be running the In-Place large FFT.

icu222much December 9, 2012 09:49 PM

Also, how long should I be running Prime95 when trying to determine my ideal voltage/multiplier? I've been doing ~10 minutes.

icu222much December 9, 2012 10:33 PM

I resetted my multiplier and voltage. I am currently running 35 multiplier and 1.105 voltage. I am running the Large FFT test and my first core failed in 10 minutes. My stock is 34 multiplier at 1.100 voltage. Is something really wrong with my CPU?

enaberif December 9, 2012 10:44 PM

Blend = Ram

You run SmallFFT for cpu testing

Don't bother with large