Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Despite the unlocked multi, the 7850BE isn't exactly known to be a great overclocker. So what have you got for AM2+? If you can go cold with that, then maybe I can try to improve our AM3 score a bit with my 1090T instead.
I have a certain 9850BE that someone sold me a long time ago.

But I've never had it under cascade as I find that most the chips from that era don't particularly like the cold and bug out a bit but I'll give it a spin anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
There are a couple of 530's listed on Kij, one in Ottawa and one in Saint Laurent. I inquired about the one on Ottawa, but they didn't respond yet. I'm on the west coast so it may not work anyway timewise.

Any luck voltmodding your 320 Rasparthe?
Nope, haven't even got the stock cooler off yet, I need to get a 775 chip going and then its time for the 320. Hope I have enough time.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I need to get a 775 chip going
You must be going for more on SuperPi32. I'm pretty much out of the running for that one. This board I'm running will never catch you guys.

But..I'm hoping to improve my Vantage score with my EVGA 430. To that end I got some faster RAM just in case it's getting in the way. The Hyper-X I've been running is rated for 1600 9-9-9-27 @1.65 Volts and my board will only loosen the tRAS to 24. It was never meant to do more than 1333. Anyway I'm going to try Ripjaws-X rated 1600 8-8-8-24 @1.5 Volts and see if anything improves. It's probably the Northbridge limiting me but I'll try it anyway. Extra clock speed seems to help the Vantage score some.

Last edited by Valkyrie; December 20, 2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: the quote thing didn't work as expected - Doh!
Old December 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
MVP

Also if possible, use a 64-bit platform, it helps for your Vantage score and apparently, I haven't tested it, but the newest drivers 310 is very good too.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
Also if possible, use a 64-bit platform, it helps for your Vantage score and apparently, I haven't tested it, but the newest drivers 310 is very good too.
I'm using Win 7 64 bit. So far the 310 driver has not beat the 306 for me, but I'm still playing with it. The 310 driver seems to have lost me several hundred ppd while folding on this system. The loss appears to be off the SMP client not the GPU.

Last edited by Valkyrie; December 20, 2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: additional info
Old December 21, 2012, 03:16 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

SOB! My order was cancelled - item discontinued :s. The hunt for a 530 continues...
Old December 21, 2012, 07:01 AM
MVP

It appears that 530 is the toughest thing to find. Did a AM2+ run last night but the 9850 is even more 'sluggish' then DT told me when I bought it two years ago. More likely my abilities there though but couldn't even top 3Ghz. Have to try it on air to get the kinks worked out but I have a score at any rate, if someone wants to put up an FM1. DT, I'm sure your AM2+ can top 26 secs, cold bug was at -32C, so didn't have much chance to to much tweaking trying to stay ahead of the heat.

EDIT: Nice score DT, broke the 90K

We are only 3 scores short now of filling all the stages, just another AMD chip for SuperPi and GT 220 and the elusive GT 530. Start honing those scores we are in the final stretch now.

Last edited by Rasparthe; December 21, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've inquired about another 530 but not too sure how it will go. :S

I'm still hoping to get some submissions in but not too sure what will happen at this point. Contemplating picking up some Dice so I can play around but I haven't had a chance to get my REX up and running.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Did a AM2+ run last night but the 9850 is even more 'sluggish' then DT told me when I bought it two years ago.
Yeah - and I used to run it on one of those horrible, horrible M3A32-MVP Deluxe boards, so I couldn't even get it stable at 2.8! I remember the frustration of trying to overclock that little bugger like it was yesterday. Oh wells. I've got the 1090T all rigged up now anyway, so I'll continue with that for now. If all goes well, I think I can probably improve kirbster's score more with my 1090T than I could your score with my 7850.

Quote:
EDIT: Nice score DT, broke the 90K
Thanks! It was a strange and special night - the cards were being oddly cooperative, as I've never been able to bench them with the vram that high before. I only wish I had more time to learn and tweak the mobo/CPU. It was my first time ever running SB-anything.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Plan B failed. On to Plan C.

Anyone have a GT530 before I run out and buy a damn PC?
Old December 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
MVP

Offer the guy some cash and a replacement card for his machine to see if he will swap out the GT 530 for you. Never know, he can keep the price the same and put a little extra cash in his pocket. Not like he is going to sell that comp for that price anyway. I'm sure I have a GT 210 laying around I can donate to the cause. LOL