Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2012, 07:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
134 was as high as I could get on the R4E, score already submitted. I spent a lot of time trying to boot at ~150 using the 166mhz strap but that was a no go for this chip.
Hello HWC!
Second post here. Glad to see the level of participation in the Country Cup from you guys.

Gav, what voltages were you using for 134 ?

Bclk'ing requires extra CPU VTT, drop the multi and DRAM frequency, and get it cold if you can.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_Goat View Post
Hello HWC!
Second post here. Glad to see the level of participation in the Country Cup from you guys.

Gav, what voltages were you using for 134 ?

Bclk'ing requires extra CPU VTT, drop the multi and DRAM frequency, and get it cold if you can.
I think it was around 1.48-1.5, using ss phase. So cold; but not that cold lol.

Everything I've read seemed to say that most 2011 cpus could only do the 100 & 125mhz straps... few would boot at 166.

I pushed voltage on pretty much everything I could find that might help & had ram at 1333 14-14-14 or so. 34 was the lowest multi I could enter in bios, for the 134 on the 125mhz strap I used the asus oc key to adjust the multi in windows down to 16.

I plan on giving it another go in the next few weeks.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Raja mentions in this guide to maintain at most, a 300mv delta between VTT CPU Voltage & 2 VTTCPU Voltage.

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - UEFI Guide for Overclocking=
Old December 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
MVP

Finally found a 7800 GTX and it tested out good by itself. I'll test SLI tomorrow but it looks like I'll be able to post up a 7xxx series score soon.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:22 AM
MVP

Stage 6 is now full as well, good job guys! If anyone out there has a FM1 chip they can run, even at stock that would be great. I can post a score in another of the categories to fill it out and at least get the stage filled.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As soon as I can figure out my SATA issue, I'll post up my QX9650 score for Stage 6. Should be about 11 mins. Would be less if I can get these bloody drives to waza already!

Oh, and I got my 2600K yesterday, so I'll be able to use that for Stage 2 with my 88GTS's after all.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_Goat View Post
Raja mentions in this guide to maintain at most, a 300mv delta between VTT CPU Voltage & 2 VTTCPU Voltage.

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - UEFI Guide for Overclocking=
Thanks for the link, I'm using that post as a general guideline as it is... gonna give it another shot in the next week. I can't help but find it frustrating when you're not sure whether there's some setting, voltage etc. that you're missing... or it simply could be the hardware is not capable, no matter what you do.

That said, there aren't too many things a good whack of voltage won't fix:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
Finally found a 7800 GTX and it tested out good by itself. I'll test SLI tomorrow but it looks like I'll be able to post up a 7xxx series score soon.
That's some good news, push it 'till it breaks!!! Well until you get a good score at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
As soon as I can figure out my SATA issue, I'll post up my QX9650 score for Stage 6. Should be about 11 mins. Would be less if I can get these bloody drives to waza already!

Oh, and I got my 2600K yesterday, so I'll be able to use that for Stage 2 with my 88GTS's after all.
Just a thought, have you tried wazza manually and using an automated tool?
Old December 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Just a thought, have you tried wazza manually and using an automated tool?
Thanks Gav - I usually do a manual waza with a 1.9GB folder of photos as I've always had better results with it than the OCX tool. But I use the tool for my prep runs while I'm getting the OC finalized since it's easy. In either case, if I try to waza, then the SPi drive will freak out and be unusable for the rest of the night. But it will bounce back and be ready for action the next day through some strange miracle. And this behaviour is the same on the four different types of SSD I've tried.

Gonna try a mech HDD tonight, and if that still is a no go, I might try using the Marvell IDE controller if push comes to shove. Or I might just say screw it, stick with the score I've got and move on. We'll see what kind of mood I'm in after the mech HDD runs tonight.

Old December 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I might just say screw it, stick with the score I've got and move on.
This is the option I went with.

Still not an awful score in terms of efficiency, but this chip is capable of about 150 MHz more on water. Pretty disappointed in this P5Q3, so I'm done with it for now. Onto 3DM03!

Old December 14, 2012, 03:57 AM
MVP

Pretty good clocks though for that chip under water. I redid my 320 score last night but its desperately needs a new cooler and probably to be volt modded but I'm gone for the weekend so it'll have to wait until next week.