Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Manually Setting RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/57543-manually-setting-ram.html)

fortkentdad October 26, 2012 11:50 PM

Manually Setting RAM

My new ASUS MBoard F2A85-M PRO does not recognize my Kingston Hyper X RAM as 1600, setting it up as 1333 instead. I went into the SDRAM Section in the ASUS Bios program and I can see the various settings but a) am not sure what I would change - I have a print out of the spec sheet but the specs on the screen do not match the specs on the sheet which are very scant, http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX16C10B1RK2_16.pdf And B) the program only lets me change two of about a dozen settings, the rest are set to 'auto' and when I click on those auto's nothing happens.

I also looked in the ASUS Ai program which runs in Windows - but did not find any place there to change the RAM settings.

I paid for 1600 Mhz, I'd like to get 1600 Mhz - more if I can.

I did just upgrade to Windows 8 Pro - my Windows 7 Home Premium did not support more than 16 GB Ram.

botat29 October 27, 2012 05:51 AM

First a question, how many of those 8 gb ram stick you install in your PC ?

I ask because if you have 4 sticks you have to increase certain voltage too

also take note that anything over 1333 is OC even if the motherboard support faster ram, so they are no warranty that will work.

fortkentdad October 27, 2012 09:33 AM

Getting to 1600 Mhz on Kingston Hyper X RAM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 666604)
First a question, how many of those 8 gb ram stick you install in your PC ?

I have four sticks of 8 GB for a total of 32 GB of RAM.

I ask because if you have 4 sticks you have to increase certain voltage too

Oh, and how do I do that?

also take note that anything over 1333 is OC even if the motherboard support faster ram, so they are no warranty that will work.

Even if the RAM is sold as 1600 Mhz? That seems odd I just want it to run as it was sold.

botat29 October 27, 2012 10:01 AM

32 GB of ram on a Hudson board :doh: wtf you need 32 gb for in a such build ? 32 gb of 8 gb stick it's a mix for failure

anyway, I have no experience with increasing the voltage on Hudson but on a regular AMD and Intel you have increase the dram voltage and sometime other voltage too.

You see when you put more sticks it drain more current and it make the voltage drop, it's why you have to increase the voltage. Search in the BIOS Dram voltage and rise it from 1.5 to 1,6 slowly until you reach something stable. But if you ask me , sell those ram and go with 2 x 4 gb it's plenty , if you need more, you probably need a better CPU anyway

sswilson October 27, 2012 10:26 AM

There should be a setting in bios for memory frequency which will allow you to select 1600, but as already stated, with 4 sticks on an AMD platform, don't be surprised if you have to bump the Dram and NB voltages up a little from stock in order to get them stable. A quick check would be to remove two sticks to set your bios and then stress test the mem with the two sticks. If that works fine, install the second set and run your tests again, if its stable then great, if not then you know you need to bump the dram voltages up a bit.

Do yourself a favour and download CPU-Z in order to check what the SPD of the memory is supposed to be so that you have a better idea of what settings to look for.

Malam October 30, 2012 06:27 PM

Check for the AMP (AMD Memory Profile) in your bios DRAM Settings. This should give you the option to run at 1600MHZ.

fortkentdad November 1, 2012 06:34 AM

After installing CPU-Z I was able to see that the RAM is operating at 1600, it still reports the SPD as 1333 but I guess that is normal. It did work I just didn't know it was working.

sswilson November 1, 2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortkentdad (Post 667868)
After installing CPU-Z I was able to see that the RAM is operating at 1600, it still reports the SPD as 1333 but I guess that is normal. It did work I just didn't know it was working.

The SPD information is hard coded into the chips. It's almost like a .nfo that I believe the motherboard uses to chose the best settings for different sets of memory.