Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that this has nothing really to do with OCing but I am curious as to why the temps between cores is so different core 1 is 43 and core 2 is 36 does that matter .
Old October 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Check out my bios screens:

You'll want to also go to digi+ power management under the cpu section and adjust load line calibration to at least the second highest.

Then make sure that your memory timings and DRAM voltage are what they are supposed to be.

everything else should be defult or auto. then save, boot into windows, and test for stability using OCCT. Prime 95 and LinX stress these chips pretty hard and they say it may not be good for them.
Hey, i set my settings just like you had in the screenshots ( i don't know if you wanted me to do that) and i also checked the timing and voltage for the RAM. Unfortunately, however, my PC failed to start. I went into bios, reset to defaults and now im up in running. I am, however, running at 3.8ghz now :/
Old October 7, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well if your PC failed to start then you need to drop the multiplier lower then 45 , like what perineum mentioned
Quote:
Then change your multiplier from 35 to 40.
usually you just leave every thing alone except for the multiplier inwhich you bump that up a little at a time until you get a failed boot, then you adjust the multipler down until the PC does start when you get to the desk top you stress test after a fair amount of time of stress testing( myself I am impatient so I usually do other things on my PC at the same time ) as stress testing and monitoring your heat if everything is to your likeng then your done if you want to tweak it out to get every little bit out of the motherboard and cpu then it can get tricky.
myself most of the time I just use the asus automatic overclock , then I slowly play around to get a higher stable clock
Old October 7, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Hey, i set my settings just like you had in the screenshots ( i don't know if you wanted me to do that) and i also checked the timing and voltage for the RAM. Unfortunately, however, my PC failed to start. I went into bios, reset to defaults and now im up in running. I am, however, running at 3.8ghz now :/
Not all chips are equal so what voltage works for me may not work for you. I would start by disabling speed step, c-states, spread spectrum, and any other intel power saving feature you can find. Save reboot, see if it posts. then go in and slowly increase the multiplier saving and rebooting to make sure it will post. These chips get hot when you go past 4.6GHz and 1.3V so i chose 4.5 as my 24/7 overclock. Start with 1.3V and slowly work your way up to the 45X multiplier. Once there you can run stress tests and reduce the voltage to get it as low as possible.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Not all chips are equal so what voltage works for me may not work for you. I would start by disabling speed step, c-states, spread spectrum, and any other intel power saving feature you can find. Save reboot, see if it posts. then go in and slowly increase the multiplier saving and rebooting to make sure it will post. These chips get hot when you go past 4.6GHz and 1.3V so i chose 4.5 as my 24/7 overclock. Start with 1.3V and slowly work your way up to the 45X multiplier. Once there you can run stress tests and reduce the voltage to get it as low as possible.
man I sure wished my system ( AMD) could clock to that I am lucky to get to 4 Ghz stable which is why I am really considering going to Intel
Old October 7, 2012, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
man I sure wished my system ( AMD) could clock to that I am lucky to get to 4 Ghz stable which is why I am really considering going to Intel
well, IB chips are considerably newer, and generally run cooler than 1100T's, but I think a 6 core chip at 4GHz is still very good for todays applications. The equivalent intel chip would still just be a 920 or 860/750 and they will clock to those same speeds; not much higher for 24/7 use.

I'm not sure you need to go intel to get high clocks. The 8 thread Bulldozer will clock to 4.5+ GHz.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just use Asus built in overclocking utility. If you are not sure what you are doing, thats the best to use. And they are pretty good when it comes to software overclocking. here it is under utilities under downloads for your mobo:

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77

That's the best advise I will give you. it will auto boost you to 4.0ghz plus! and good luck
Old October 7, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I would start by disabling speed step, c-states, spread spectrum, and any other intel power saving feature you can find. Save reboot, see if it posts.
Asus recommends not doing that with these newer socket CPUs, they claim it makes no difference in overclocking at all but just makes you use more power

Socket 775 sometimes needed speedstep disabled, etc.