Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You should try getting a gold 2600k if you think the ivy is fun. Those suckers hit 5.5 without massive heat.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If you de-lid this thing wouldn't you lapp it at the same time?
Would be much easier to do with the IHS off and since the warranty is gone anyways = why not?
I'm assuming that there is a nickle coating over copper on this chip.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeHobbit View Post
If you de-lid this thing wouldn't you lapp it at the same time?
Would be much easier to do with the IHS off and since the warranty is gone anyways = why not?
I'm assuming that there is a nickle coating over copper on this chip.
I haven't had IHS surface issues since Core2. If the IHS was terrible I would do it while it is off for sure.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Finally got to open up the Liquid Pro I bought back in December when I was originally wanting to de-lid this thing.

I also oriented the A50 so that the heatpipes run horizontally across the die (so all three touch) so that the fan blows "up" rather than "across" the motherboard.
Originally i had it so that only one heatpipe ran along the middle and the two on the side probably didn't even go over the core.

Temps before were ~77C, now they are around ~62C (the second core is consistently about 4C hotter than the rest... they are usulaly around 58-64-60-59). Of course I have no screenshots and I'm just going off memory, but this is still a significant drop. Apologies for lack of screenshots Realtemp/CPU-Z.

CPU: Stock speed/volt, LinX 4 thread w/AVX, CPU-Z reporting load voltage as 1.208-1.216V, 39x100
Mobo: ASUS Maximus V Gene 0904
Cooling: Corsair A50 with Noctua NF-P12 PWM fan on "Silent" mode in mobo. Coollab Liquid Pro between CPU/IHS, Ceramique between IHS/HSF

Running LinX with the Liquid Pro in place, I could immediately feel the warm air coming through the fins of the heatsink, whereas before it took a while to warm up.
Attached Images

Old March 11, 2013, 09:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Finally got to open up the Liquid Pro I bought back in December when I was originally wanting to de-lid this thing.

I also oriented the A50 so that the heatpipes run horizontally across the die (so all three touch) so that the fan blows "up" rather than "across" the motherboard.
Originally i had it so that only one heatpipe ran along the middle and the two on the side probably didn't even go over the core.

Temps before were ~77C, now they are around ~62C (the second core is consistently about 4C hotter than the rest... they are usulaly around 58-64-60-59). Of course I have no screenshots and I'm just going off memory, but this is still a significant drop. Apologies for lack of screenshots Realtemp/CPU-Z.

CPU: Stock speed/volt, LinX 4 thread w/AVX, CPU-Z reporting load voltage as 1.208-1.216V, 39x100
Mobo: ASUS Maximus V Gene 0904
Cooling: Corsair A50 with Noctua NF-P12 PWM fan on "Silent" mode in mobo. Coollab Liquid Pro between CPU/IHS, Ceramique between IHS/HSF

Running LinX with the Liquid Pro in place, I could immediately feel the warm air coming through the fins of the heatsink, whereas before it took a while to warm up.
Damn you!!! Now you got me wanting to flip the top on mine

Where did you get your Liquid Pro? If you have a bunch left over I would be willing to buy what you got left.

Just a thought.

Damon.

Edit: Does Liquid pro ask to be spread with a q-tip? You would think you would get fibers in there...
Old March 11, 2013, 09:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice temp improvement Zoob.
Why would you use a Q-Tip to spread the TIM? For sure it is going to leave bits of cotton on the chip.
(unless I'm misinterpreting that pic)
Old March 11, 2013, 09:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Good eye JDH :)
Old March 11, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It comes with two q-tips and an alcohol wet nap. Their video shows them using a qtip as well, and I didn't see any fibres come off and stay on the CPU.

I bought two syringes off this guy on eBay:
Coollaboratory Liquid PRO thermal paste and cleaning kit | eBay

I think I used too much as it says the application should look like a mirror, but mine had pools. After I finished with the die, I used what remained on the qtip and spread it on the inside of the IHS and then that looked like metal paint and was much more mirror like.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
It comes with two q-tips and an alcohol wet nap. Their video shows them using a qtip as well, and I didn't see any fibres come off and stay on the CPU.

I bought two syringes off this guy on eBay:
Coollaboratory Liquid PRO thermal paste and cleaning kit | eBay

I think I used too much as it says the application should look like a mirror, but mine had pools. After I finished with the die, I used what remained on the qtip and spread it on the inside of the IHS and then that looked like metal paint and was much more mirror like.
Thanks for the link. Will grab some for sure :)
Old March 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was bored and couldn't wait :)

One side had hardly any adhesive and was very hard to get the blade under it, even using micro thin razor. Actually had me worried that I was gouging the top of the package, but not a nick :)

Was priming 5Ghz at 1.29Vcore and was hitting 80c so I figured screw it. Grabbed the trusty Gillettes I have had for almost 10 years and busted the top off. I think I may have borked windows by setting Vcore to low so I am running Memtest right now and all is well. Will reload windows and test.

I used MX-2 right now but will try Liquid Pro and reseal the IHS. For now just have it held on with the bracket retention.

Edit: Priming 5.0Ghz with 1.3v just to test temps right now. Max temp on hottest core is 70C and lowest temp on lowest core is 62c. Shaved at least 10c off.

Last edited by turtletrax; March 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM.