Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default just curious

a freind of mine said that if ur bios is locked on ur motherboard to unlock it just pull out ur battery and hold ur power button for so long i forget how long he said and when u put ur battery back in ur bios is unlocked. anyone ever heard of this before
Old April 14, 2008, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

27 views and no responce..........so either no one knows,he's full of shit or i stumbled into some big goverment secret and everyones afraid to answer lmao
Old April 14, 2008, 06:29 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Probably a big conspiracy... but I've never heard of that before Ever. I HAVE however heard that the overclocking features of some motherboards can be unlocked with certain key press combinations (Ex: CTRL + F1 on some Asus boards). Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least I answered!
Old April 14, 2008, 06:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

do you mean locked as in, someone set the password to enter the bios and you dont know it? taking out the battery (or jumpering the cmos pins) on your motherboard will reset it to default settings. im not sure if that will reset the password though, i have never set a bios password before, and it doesnt really make sense to have such an easy way to bypass the password.

if thats not what you mean, then i have no idea. i have never seen a bios get locked in any other way than the password.
Old April 14, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

what i mean is like on my motherboard its blocked from gettin into the bios by the manufactuer, and thats what he said to do ,to be able to get into it. i dunno it just sounded weird to me just wanted to see if anyone else heard of it
Old April 14, 2008, 09:27 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If thats the case then yeah, pull the battery out (with the system off) and put it back in after a few seconds. Any restrictions should be removed at that point UNLESS your motherboard is hard-locked from a big-box company like Compaq/HP,etc. They have certain motherboards that can't be reset this way.
Old April 14, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

lol and guess what i got a compaq lol
Old April 14, 2008, 11:23 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Thats probably it then. Although many motherboards for compaqs/hps/etc are from companies like ASUS they are purpose-built for those machines to be locked and blocked so you cant upgrade easily or get extra juice out of their systems. They make their computers such that their $500 machines can't be overclocked to be as fast as their $1000 machines and so on. it's called BS and it's one of many reasons people build custom PCs nowadays. My condolences....