Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
MVP

I just tried out that custom bios and I seem to be able to get about an extra 25-30mhz out of the cards stable for about 30minutes (still remains to be seen if it stays stable under further testing).
Old August 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

There's also a hard wire mod available has anybody given this any thought?

Regards Fuz
Old August 27, 2012, 03:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

1. EVGA GTX 680 4Gb edition
2.1.26 max OC Anything higher isn't stable.
3. Asic of 100%.

And I hate to do this, but what is ASIC? What does it represent? Is 100% good? I googled but only got more confused.
Old August 27, 2012, 04:42 AM
MVP

ASIC is a somewhat reliable measure of the electric leakage the chip has (it is calculated using integrated circuitry so it's not the most precise but its basically integrated so that AMD/nVidia can decide the application of each chip without having to resort to a more expensive binning process). Basically a low ASIC can permit for much more voltage granting a higher max OC ceiling on conventional chips...but lower ASIC permits for higher overclock for a given voltage making it possible to reach the same clocks with lower temps (as a general rule of thumb).

the thing with kepler is that reference design doesn't permit free control over the voltage making overclocking much more limited. with this kind of design, basically chips with a higher ASIC should be capable of higher clocks with stock voltages. However, there is a lot of debate and skepticism around the use of ASIC as a reliable means of predicting overclocking behavior. Not to mention, before the arrival of kepler, an ASIC of 100% was unheard of so that rises the question are these numbers being correctly extrapolated? is the 100% a glitch and the ASIC is actually much lower? If so then why do some cards have other ASIC values like both 670s I got?

Basically there is alot of theory around this and not much proven fact...I made this thread to see if a visible pattern could be seen amongst the HWC kepler owner community to shed more light on the matter or not.