Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2012, 04:25 PM
Rookie

Default MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 Help

Hello,

sorry for my bad english but i'm from germany. I have two questions

I have a MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 Mainboard and a Intel i5-2500k and 16 GB G.Skill 1333 MHz Ram and I would like to know how much can I overclock the i5? As cpu cooler i have a Corsair H80

and i have a other question

when I overclock the i5 at the bios the PC starts again when i'm finished and than he boot 5 or 10 seconds and than he go off and start again and everything is as it was and when it times funktionier, then remain Ghz not constant and go always down when the cpu is not used it's as an energy-saving mode.
Can you tell me maybe the perfect bios settings and send me that as screen or write so that the cpu has the highest and best overclocking that goes.
Old June 25, 2012, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

16gb of ram set voltage manually to 1.55-1.6v before you overclock

memtest your ram

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old June 25, 2012, 07:39 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
16gb of ram set voltage manually to 1.55-1.6v before you overclock

memtest your ram
by 1.55-1.6 he means the ram voltage not the CPU, in case that wasn't clear. With an H80 5ghz is defs possible on a 2500k but I wouldn't recommend that for 24/7 use unless u get a golden chip that can do that under 1.4v...4.8ghz should be plenty IMO.
Old June 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Rookie

ok but i need the settings for every point at the bios and an answere for my problem
Old June 26, 2012, 03:10 AM
MVP

we can't give u the exact specs at which you need to setup as every CPU is different, better chips can overclock higher at lower voltages and vice versa for the ones that loose at the silicon lottery. not to mention the thermal threshold/fan noise you are willing to live with is different for every1. Also, I don't mean to be rude, but I can't rly understand what you are saying about the problem you are having...if you speak french maybe try typing it in french, alot of members here including myself are from quebec.
Old June 26, 2012, 03:54 AM
Rookie

hm ok i cant speak french :/

so my problem is: when i overclock the cpu a bit at the bios i exit it and the pc will restart but then he boot 10 seconds after that he restart again and all is normal so no overclock

and my other problem is: when the cpu is not overclocked the Ghz will not stay constant so the Ghz goes down to ca. 1600 Mhz (when the cpu is not used) how can i fix that, that the Ghz will stay constant at 3300 Ghz (when the cpu is not used)
Old June 26, 2012, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by source255 View Post
hm ok i cant speak french :/

so my problem is: when i overclock the cpu a bit at the bios i exit it and the pc will restart but then he boot 10 seconds after that he restart again and all is normal so no overclock

and my other problem is: when the cpu is not overclocked the Ghz will not stay constant so the Ghz goes down to ca. 1600 Mhz (when the cpu is not used) how can i fix that, that the Ghz will stay constant at 3300 Ghz (when the cpu is not used)

for your second problem, the setting in the bios that reduces the speed of the cpu when it is idle is called speedstep i think. When you are overclocking, you should really disable speedstep, C1E, and a few of the other power saving features.

I think the best way for you to get your PC overclocked is to reset your bios to the defaults. And then Set your memory to the timings, frequency, and Dimm Voltage that is specified on the sticks. Then run memtest. That will make sure that your memory is working properly and system is stable.
Then check out this guide for overclocking.

Good Luck and Have fun.
Old June 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
for your second problem, the setting in the bios that reduces the speed of the cpu when it is idle is called speedstep i think. When you are overclocking, you should really disable speedstep, C1E, and a few of the other power saving features.

I think the best way for you to get your PC overclocked is to reset your bios to the defaults. And then Set your memory to the timings, frequency, and Dimm Voltage that is specified on the sticks. Then run memtest. That will make sure that your memory is working properly and system is stable.
Then check out this guide for overclocking.

Good Luck and Have fun.
Thank you :)
Old June 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
not rly on SB, I have my 2500k overclocked with speed step enabled (makes it use much less power while idle and makes ur CPU live longer). All you gotta do is set the boost clock in the bios to the speed you want and then set a voltage offset to get the voltage you want while in boost state.

I get 1600mhz when idle at 1.064v but as soon as I do anything, it jumps up to 4.8ghz with 1.400v. I'm getting about 65-70C with a Hyper212+ in a small form factor case with the fans set to about 1000rpm while running prime. It's also 24hours prime stable and 20runs of maximum intel burn test (maximum on a 16gb system) stable.

To answer source255's 2nd question/problem, that is perfectly normal for the frequency to vary depending on your load. it's intel speed step simply making the most out of ur chip, while letting it breath when it's not doing much.

As for the first problem, if I understand correctly what you are saying, it seems like the overclock you are setting is simply not even stable enough to boot, so the bios is simply restoring default setting in order to avoid you the hassle to have to do this manually (most if not all bios have such a system built in nowadays).
Old June 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
Rookie

ah ok thanks