Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Help me tweak my OC!

Hi all. I have achieved 4.8ghz @ 1.42v on my i5 2500k. Not sure if this is good as I'm quite new to this. It's only my 3rd time overclocking. I would like to reach 5ghz or even higher if the chip will allow so. Maybe 4.8 is it's max? Not sure. I am wondering what I can do to try getting it higher. I upped the voltage and multiplier but was unable to boot into windows at 5.0ghz. If I can't get higher maybe I can just reduce the voltage for lower temps. Not sure but I need help.

Specs as far as OC goes are :

i5 2500k
MSI Z77A-GD65
and a 360mm HWlabs rad with AP-15's on it.

here are some pics.

Here is the OC genie section. changed multiplier, disabled xmp(?), manually set voltage, disabled C state(what is this like speedstep?), and I upped the long and short duration power limit.

Here are the regular bios settings outside of the OC genie profile. Here I disabled spread spectrum, disabled EIST. I wasn't sure if I should keep PLL Auto or straight up enable it so I left it auto. Couple things I am wondering here is what is the Vdroop setting and what is Digital compensation level?

Here is the CPU features menu. I disabled C1E support. I seem to recall that overspeed protection should be disabled? hrmm I thought i disabled C state.

And here is my temps cpu -z. I would like to call this stable. I know it was only 3.5 hours and lots of folks do 12-24 but in reality it would be hard for me to get more then 6 hours. Plus my gaming will never bring this rig to 100%. I'm thinking a reseat and some ic7 diamond would do me some justice on temps. It was the worst seat I have done in my life trying to mount that xspc raystorm by myself with 1 hand on the backplate.

I had to crop those because when I straight up load the desktop screenshot to photobucket it comes out like this and you can't read any of it.

So I have a few main questions. I did the overclock in my OC Genie profile. Is this n00b? I did this because I was using the stock OC genie settings before and I just changed a few things in there since it seemed easier. Ended up having to change other settings elsewhere though :P.

Should I be doing it straight up bios settings as opposed to in the OC genie section of the bios?

What changes could I make to push it to 5.0 or higher? Yeah yeah blah blah I know it's not much difference but dished out the $$ on the parts with capabilites so I would like to try.
Old June 3, 2012, 03:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Under the cpu features, disable everything. Bump up your DRam voltage to 1.525. Not all cpu's can achieve 5.0 at 1.45 or under for sandy bridges. Bump up your v core to 1.5 and change the multi to 50 and see what happens? As long as your max temps on Prime 95 are below 80, you are doing alright, but I wouldnt pump that much voltage for everyday use. Maybe just for benches and stuff.