Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2013, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got mine at Shoppers Drug Mart. Had to specifically request they special order it for me, pharmacist never heard of it. $8/bottle. I actually have an extra bottle if anybody in the GTA want to pick it up

I got the stuff on the pads, is it enough to just rinse with iso or should i scrub it with a qtip?

Some tips would be to use a razor blade like the DE in the pic, it's a lot easier to work with. Also, if you do plan on delidding, do it before mounting it if possible, I'm pretty sure mine was hard to delid after having it mounted for a while. As for scrubbing the black stuff off the pcb, wet it with solvoplast before using a credit card to remove. It softens up the glue and makes removal much easier. Same goes for the stuff under the ihs except you can use the razor to get into the corners.
Of note, when I was popping the ihs off, for my cpu in particular, the suction stuck the ihs on so I had to slide the De in on the side and then put in a box cutter blade in to get leverage to pop it off. I would suggest you have the ihs facing downwards during this so it won't hit the die since it might come off a bit forcefully.

Total time to get the ihs off was about an hour. Took it super slow to make sure I didn't screw up.Just picked up my liquid pro from the post office and still need to make sure no solvoplast is on the pads so I haven't mounted yet

Just my 2 cents and some pics to boot,

Old January 23, 2013, 06:13 PM

My System Specs

Spend about an hour popping mine off. Had to do it w/o the solvoplast though.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Intel might use a different adhesive than AMD did back in the day. First one I tried it on I used a DE blade and started in the corner and then slowly rocked the blade until it had done that whole side and that took about 10 seconds. At that moment I was wondering what everyone was complaining about getting IHS's off :)

Perhaps Intel needs a bit more time in the solvoplast? I also wonder if one corner wasn't submerged CF? It is odd that one corner was so hard compared to the others.

Did you just pop a lid tonite LF? If you want some Solvoplast I can try to find some for you areound the Edmonton area and ship some off.

Also grats on the modship ;)
Old January 23, 2013, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I dont think anybody should use solvoplast. Too much hassle and doesnt really work that well

Andddd goes through bios. reboots at logo. Was making funky artifacts before on integrated gpu. Think my cpu is kinda dead....

Edit: NVM it's frigging working

Reset CMOS and the goddamn thing booted

Last edited by CroSsFiRe2009; January 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I dont think anybody should use solvoplast. Too much hassle and doesnt really work that well

Andddd goes through bios. reboots at logo. Was making funky artifacts before on integrated gpu. Think my cpu is kinda dead....

Edit: NVM it's frigging working

Reset CMOS and the goddamn thing booted

Good to hear it is working :)

Too bad it doesnt work as well on Intel adhesive. AMD turned to cheddar cheeze
Old January 27, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I previously posted about using solvoplast to soften up the glue to delid my chip and I mistakenly thought it had killed my chip. Turned out I was just a moron who forgot to clear cmos after putting the chip back in. I feel so dumb yet so relieved.

Before the delid I was hitting almost 95C with mx-2/D14 at 4.6ghz and 1.25vcore. After delid, I used Mx-2 between the die and IHS at the beginning and got up to 4.8ghz at 1.325vcore llc1 on a Asrock Z68 Extreme3Gen3 but it was hitting 100C with a Noctua D14. Switched to CL Pro between die and IHS, mx2 between d14 and ihs and ended up with temps of 83C with prime95 small fft.

I am beyond impressed but I would still not recommend solvoplast unless you're incredibly inept at handling a razor blade.

I also totally derailed the point of this thread but I thought I'd just keep the info here for consistency's sake

Edit: It also seems to get vcore hungry after that. 1.4vc to hit 4.9 and smallfft@95C. sFFT couldn't even get stable with 1.52 before it hit tjmax when going for 5ghz

Last edited by CroSsFiRe2009; January 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM.