Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool E8400 Idle Temps...

Just curious, my Idle Temps (both Cores) on my E8400 always state 42c.
This is when I:

1. Stock HSF & Stock Clocks
2. Stock HSF and OC 3.4 or 3.6
3. new Zalman 9700 Stock Clocks or OC 3.4 , 3.6

Of course thier is a large difference in Core Temps with my new Zalman whilst Processor is under load (Prime95), as compared to the Stock HSF.

I thought that I would see a dramatic reduction in the Cores Idle Temps as well? But they're always 42c at idle.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks

Old April 4, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have a e3110, essentially the same chip as yours and I have a feeling the temp sensors on these are a bit dodgy. Mine idles at 46, or so it says, and that's on water. The temps only rise ~5 from there under load testing. My fluid temp is only a degree or two above room temp and I doubt the thermal interface is THAT bad. BTW my bios says the chip is 21 which matches my water temps.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old April 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know if this helps but my E8400 according to Everest idles at:

Core#1: 32
Core#2: 33

Under Load while playing COD4/UT3:

Core#1: 38
Core#2: 37

I use Everest so i have no idea how accurate these are.
Edit: Mine is not over-clocked (yet)
Old April 4, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks guys,
Something may very well be "dodgy" woth the Temp Sensers. I'm presently OC'd at 3.6 Ghz, my Idle Temp in my BIOS is the same 42, however under Prime95 I get a Max on both Cores of 48 - 51c. Still very good Temps.
As for Everest, CPU 29c and both Cores also indicate 42. All different Temperature Software always seem to state 42 idle, EXCEPT RealTemp 2.24, shows idle 10c cooler, both Cores at 32c, BUT when I run the "Test Idle Temp" feature (within Real Temp), it shows both Core values at"0", which the Program defines as meaning the Sensors are "stuck" and will not monitor accurate idle Core Temps...

Oh well.....C'est La Vie......certainly not going to knock myself out with it. A fix could very well be a BIOS Update (P04) or MOBO Driver Update, but hey, tings seem to be working great, so I'll leave it alone!

Old April 4, 2008, 07:59 PM
Top Prospect

this is completely normal... well it is not but it is a very well known issue with the e8400, and it is why i use the socket temp sensor instead of the core sensor because it works better. my e8400 was also stucked at a annormal temperature on idle, yet it was rising only a few degree's on full load, and that was with cold winter air intake (yea used to have 0c ambient inside my case). with my pervious e4300 i used to run at 12c on idle with my cold air intake and when i changed for the e8400 that is supposedly better in energy consumption plus the change of 65nm to 45nm it gave me something like 48c idle. but then when i read my bios readings (or on speedfan, it uses the same sensor) it gave me 15c.

you will also see some ppl that have one core sensor working but the other one will be stucked and wont even change when under full load. they are defect... you are not the only one with this problem, just go browse on xtremesystems forum and you will see zilions of ppl talking about this issue
Old April 4, 2008, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

E8400s can have faulty sensors.. mine does :P
Old April 4, 2008, 10:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Look for Realtemp on XS by UncleWebb. Closest thing you will get to semi-reliable temp.

Cudos to Uncle :)
Old April 4, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just curious, Speed Fan doesn't seem to show Temps of the CPU Cores....?...Just the CPU in general.

The Temp I get for that is the same Temp I get for the CPU in HW monitor 32c

Old April 4, 2008, 10:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Intel did not use the TD for conventional temp records, they used it for the Tjunction and throttle usage, therefore quite useless. Try Realtemp and call it even.

Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors - XtremeSystems Forums
Old April 5, 2008, 07:31 AM
MVP
F@H

Maybe the faulty sensor problem is why it took so long to get them in the stores again, hopefully the new batches have corrected this problem.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g