Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   old rig OC -e8500! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/53957-old-rig-oc-e8500.html)

forthecake May 4, 2012 06:12 AM

old rig OC -e8500!

hello canuckers, I have an older rig im trying to extend the life of until I can afford a new system probably around christmas. My computer isn't all that old but I am having a hell of a time trying to OC this thing and get it stable. I've searched and read many suggested OC settings but it will almost always consistantly lock up either at login, 5 minutes in, or even an hour later. I had it OC'd once long ago to 4.1ghz but I cleared my cmos when installing a new video card and forgot to save my bios settings *doh*

my chugger is as follows
ASUS p5q-pro
intel e8500 core2duo @ 3ghz e0 wolfdale stock is 9x 333fsb
mushkin redline 4x2gb dd2 ram PC2-6400 defaults to
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP yes (1 profiles)
XMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 4.0-4-4-12-16 @ 266 MHz
JEDEC #2 5.0-5-5-18-23 @ 400 MHz
EPP timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
EPP profile #1 (abb) 5.0-5-5-12-xx-2T- @ 500 MHz (2.050 Volts)

nvidia gtx 260 216 896mb which overclocked quite nicely with MSI afterburner.

If it's any help here is what I tried and failed with most recently..

9x440, 105 pcie,fsb strap auto, dram auto(tried fsbx2 and lockups) timings auto (also tried with 5-5-5-12 and boots but locks up)

auto setttings - ai clock twister, ai trans booster(also light), gtl ref, nb auto, pcie sata auto
disabled - dram static, dram read, cpu spread, pcie spread
enabled - mem oc charger, load line calibration
voltages - cpu voltage 1.4, pll 1.5v. fsb tv 1.3, dram 2.1

So canucks, I ask of you a solution or suggestions. :doh: please!!

Rasparthe May 4, 2012 07:22 AM

If your able to boot into Windows then its probably a lack of voltage problem. One of those 4 voltages is likely the culprit. Try upping one of the voltages to see if that helps, if it doesn't stabilize after raising .075v then return to the original value and try the next one. I would go in this order, CPU Voltage -> FSB Termination Voltage -> PLL -> and I doubt it is DRAM voltage but you can give it a try. If that doesn't work then it might be a combination.

Also, I assume your using an aftermarket cooler, if your using stock you might find it solves itself with a better cooler.

EDIT: Forgot to add, that you should be running RealTemp or another temperature program to make sure your temps stay under control while your testing your stability.

forthecake May 4, 2012 04:59 PM

yes I am for sure using an aftermarket cooler and it's always been able to keep my cpu relatively cool, around 20-25*C for most of the time, highest ive ever seen is 33* under 100% load. I will try adjusting the voltages 1 by 1 and see how it goes, thank you for that tip.

You don't think it's any of the other settings affecting it? also the ram is rated for 2.1v so ill stick with it at that as recommended by mushkin.

Rasparthe May 4, 2012 06:18 PM

From what you have posted those settings all seem fine. If the voltage bumps don't help you can try manually setting the strap to 266, for some reason the Asus boards I have all seem to like this strap the best and sometimes manually setting the strap helps.

tyreman May 5, 2012 01:24 AM

I see pcie at 105..should be 100
you could be "racing" components more than what they are designed for.
set the mushkin what its marked for on the sticks

zsamz_ June 27, 2012 07:43 PM

test how far you can overclock your ram
try 5-5-5-15-5-52

the psc set you have doesnt always respond to voltage
i had some that clocked better @ 1.9v and then some that needed 2.14v

you should try higher fsb;)
you ram might do 1000mhz++++;)