Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool New Zalman 9700 LED Installed...

Hey folks,
Just had my new Zalman installed and I'm a little confused as to the Temps I'm now reading....
With my Stock HSF, running Prime 95 version 25.6 Small FFT:
Processor - approx 53 degrees
Core 1 approx 61c - 68 degrees
Core 2 approx 58c - 63c

My idle Temps for both Cores was 42c and CPU 36

With my Zalman, idle Temps for both Cores still shows 42c, however CPU shows 30c
Under load running Prime95 version 25.5 Small FFT and OC to 3,4Ghz, vCore 1.225
Processor - approx 46c
Core0 48c
core1 43 - 44c

Am I running Prime95 properly? Is it testing both Cores? I am simply opening it, and selecting Torture Test from the Menu, then selecting Small FTT...

I tried the other Stress Program, OCCTPT and when I ran it, it only showed one Core being tested, is thier a way to test both Cores?

Perhaps this Zalman is doing the job?!
Also, in HWMonitor, with Prime 95 running I get:
CPU VCore 1.18v
CPUTIN 46c
Core 0 48c Max 49c
Core1 43c Max 45c

I'm presently running my Zalman at about 1/4 Speed (thats 1/4 relative to Max)
Seems odd to me that their is a drop of almost 10c in the CPU Temp at idle, but the Cores still show 42c at idle?

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks

PS Canucks suck.....Vancouver that is, I can't believe they've given up!

Old April 2, 2008, 07:35 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome in the beautiful world of the after-market HSF... your temps are fine. As for stress testing, is Prime95 showing 2 worker threads? And OCCT should stress both cores.
Old April 2, 2008, 07:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I forgot to mention that you only need to monitor the Core temps. I read again your numbers - here's what i gather:

stock load:

Core 1 61c - 68c
Core 2 58c - 63c

zalman load:

Core 1 xxc - 48c
Core 2 43c - 44c

Those temps are great, but you have a 5c difference between the cores; I would re-seat the HSF. If it doesn't work and still have that 5c delta again, lapping of either the chip or the HSF may be necessary.
Old April 2, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool

Should the 2 Core Temps show the same?
Prime 95 Running now for approx 3hrs Small FTT and yes, both windows are open, 3 actually and the Temps are:
Core 1 48c
Core 2 44c

My present config:
"Unlinked" FSB 1515 Mhz Multiplier 9x = 1515/4 x 9 = 3.4 Ghz
Memory 4-4-4-12 1T Command Rate
Only Voltages set Manually are:
vCore 1.225v
Memory 2.1v
All other Voltages are "Auto"

Do you think its critical to get those Core Temps even? I simply don't feel up to 'strippin her down again"

The Zalman is actuallly impressing me as this equated to a reduction in Core Temp at these same settings as yesterday of bout -17 - 20c
....wow.....welcome to the wonderful worl of HSF...as you folks would say!

I guee next will be to up my FSB to 1600 and see if my Voltage of 1.225v can handle 3.6Ghz?
To be quite honest, I'm not really sure what my Stock Voltages are....

Thanks again! BTW, got the Zalman for $59 @ DC, as usual, they p[ulled through with delivery in less than 48 Hrs!!
It was difficult to choose the HSF as I had to look for something not only compatible with my 780i, but laso my Raidmax Smilidon..

Thanks for the help!! Much appreciated!

Old April 2, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool

Ok, so things seemed fine for 2 hrs, stopped test and :
Reset FSB to 1600 Mhz = 3.6 Ghz
Originally left vCore @ 1.225v, got the Blue Screen with a bunch of text and directied to BIOS.
In BIOS I reset my vCore to 1.25v, booted into Windows fine, but got the "Prime95 Had To Sutdown Message.
So I have since set my vCore to 1.3v and am now running Prime 95 again...been running for about 15 minutes ok.
Temps
Core 1 52c
Core 2 49c
I'll let it run for a few hours and keep an eye on the Temps....sound good?

All other Voltages still left ay Auto MCP / SSP ect.

Old April 2, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

See if you can download a program such as HWMonitor or Everest Ultimate and check what your CPU voltage is....I'm assuming here there is a bit of a Vdroop so you should be fine at maybe 1.28V...Let us know what the voltage is. I have a feeling you actually should be able to go to 4.0GHz on this voltage!
Old April 2, 2008, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I presently have HWMonitor running, along with VCore and Prime 95. As I mentioned, Prime 95 did not like vCore 1.25v
HWMoniotr presently shows:
Voltages CPUCore - 1.25v Max 1.26v (set to 1.3v in BIOS)
CPUTIN 50c
Core 1 51c
Core 2 48c
HDD 28c
CPU Fan 1950 RPM

Prime95 still going fine, no errors, been almost an hour .
Guess what you folks are getting at, is I may be able to find the "sweet Spot", between 1.25v and 1.3v?, perhaps 1.275 or so?

Take it the "Blue Screen" with "Windows Error" is common when OC'ing?

Thanks guys!

Old April 2, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Prime95 still going fine, no errors, been almost an hour .
Guess what you folks are getting at, is I may be able to find the "sweet Spot", between 1.25v and 1.3v?, perhaps 1.275 or so?

Take it the "Blue Screen" with "Windows Error" is common when OC'ing?

Thanks guys!
What everyone is looking for is this: Making your machine run as cool as possible while as fast as possible....remember...more voltage = more heat! So yeah...when OC'ing...you'll see quite a few blue screens! Mostly they have to do with memory errors...but in your case it is most likely that the CPU does not get enough power. That causes the CPU to crash while working on such a huge workload. Once this "stress test" is over without any issues, see if you can lower the voltage a bit and try again. If it crashes before you finish...you up it a little! Good Luck!
Old April 2, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thnkas...believe I'm getting the picture.Thanks again for sharing your folks' wealth of knowledge!!
I have since dropped the vCore down a little to 1.275 from 1.3...and all is good. Therefor, my sweet spot may be somewhere between 1.25 and 1.275....

I think I'll be happy with a 3.6 OC.....for now...famous last words of most folks on here eh?!

Cheers

Old April 2, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I think I'll be happy with a 3.6 OC.....for now...famous last words of most folks on here eh?!

Cheers
Mwhoaaaaaa!!! Happy with your OC for now? Wait till tomorrow! You'll want more!!! LOL

Woohoo, another one bites the dust! Welcome to OC heaven!

Oh don't forget to join the Hardware Canucks Team on HWbot.org and score some mad points with that rig of yours!