Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool E8400 & 780i OC Settings - Results

Hi all,
Still playing around with OC'ing my E8400 / Evga 780i MOBO (and Evga 8800GTX GPU)....here's where I'm at so far:
In BIOS
System Clocks
Multiplier 9x
CPU N/2 Ratio "Disabled"
PCIe x 16_3 100 Mhz
SPP / MCP Ref Clock 200 Mhz

Spread Spectrum Settings
HT Spread Spectrum "Disabled"
PCIe Spread Spectrum (MCP) "Disabled"
SATA Spread Spectrum "Disabled"

FSB & Memory Config
SLI-Ready Memory - "Disabled"
FSB Memory Clock Mode "Linked"
FSB Memory Ratio "Sync Mode"
FSB (QDR) 1515 Mhz
Actual Memory (DDR) 757.5 Mhz
Memory Timings "Expert"
4-4-4-12 1T Command Rate @2.15v

CPU Config
Limit CPUID Max Val "Disabled"
Intel Speed Step "Disabled"
CPU Thermal Control "Disabled"
C1E Enhanced Halt State "Disabled"
Execute Disable Bit "Enabled"
Virtualization Tech "Enabled"

System Voltage
CPU Core 1.35v
CPU FSB "Auto" 1.3v
Memory 4-4-4-12-1T @ 2.15v
Nforce SPP "Auto" 1.4v
Nforce MCP "Auto" 1.5v
HT Nforce SPP/MCP "Auto" 1.2v
Nforce MCP Aux "Auto" 1.5v

GTLVRef Lane 0-3 "Auto" + 00mV

Thats it, presently OC'd @ 3.42 Ghz, however Stock Cooling. I have been running Prime 95 version 25.6 Torture Test "Small FFT" for 2 hrs.
No errors
Temps on both Cores between 62 - 67 degrees
* Will be definitely putting in some sort of AfterMarket Cooler, inquiring as what will fit on my 780i Board and within my Raidamx Smilidon Case.

8800 GTX OC Settings:
GPU Clock 615 Mhz
Memory 2.0 Ghz Combined
Shader 1.439 Ghz
Idle Temp 51 degrees
Load Temp (Crysis) 69 degrees

* Notes:
1. Memory Speed is 800 Mhz, but it is running at speed 757.5 Mhz
Likley due to being Linked / Sync'd, also I am running 4 x 1GB Sticks in XP SP2
2. Still get the "Long Diminishing Beep" from my 8800 GTX whan I "Shut Down" - the only way I have been able to correct this is by setting everything (excluding 8800 Clock Speeds) back to Stock Speeds.
3. Haven't run 3DMark 06, however 3D Mark 05 is just over 20,000 (unsure how this compares to others)

Thats it.....any "input" is welcomed....

Cheers

Old March 31, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Benching Pictures!!!!!! And remember....just keep pushing for that extra MHz! Once you have the aftermarket cooler that is.....!
Old March 31, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool

Ha ha...hell it will take me awhile to figure out how to get my images on this Forum!!!
Anyhow, after all that, ran a Benchmark on 3DMark 06, got 12,800.
With "Unlinking" and no "Synching", vCore left on "Auto" I actually got 13,000....so thier you have it!
Ordered my Zalman 9700 today from Direct Canada, should be here tomorrow or the next day. I know I know...why that one as thier is always better.....its what I chose. Hope it fits in my Raidmax Smilidon Case and works with my Evga 780i Board!!

I'll be happy to get 3.6 - 3.8 and temps a little lower, 55 @ Load would be nice!

Cheers

PS Go Canucks (Vancouver that is...)

Old March 31, 2008, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Ha ha...hell it will take me awhile to figure out how to get my images on this Forum!!!

With "Unlinking" and no "Synching", vCore left on "Auto"
Okay....running your system 'unlinked' means that your RAM is not linked to your FSB. That is fully the way to go because it makes OC'ing a lot easier!

You can manually set your RAM to 800MHz or higher if you wish (but I'd wait with that until you manage to OC your CPU first, kinda like one thing at a time).

Set your divider to 7/8/9 and your FSB to what ever you want the end result to be.... e.g. 8 x 500 = 4.0GHz

DO NOT leave your CPU voltage on auto because your board will feed whatever voltage your processor thinks it needs. The trick is to set it to 1.30V for example and then see how high you can OC on that setting. If you can't go past 3.8GHz (again for example)....you'll set it to 1.35V and keep on trying!

Good Luck!

Ps. Ask ask and ask....you'll always get an answer around here....from some very skillfull ppl!
Pps. We have a very good/handy Image Hosting service....it is located on the top bar of the page...makes posting pics as easy as a dream!
Ppps. When your Zalman comes in...disable these two: "Execute Disable Bit "Enabled" & "Virtualization Tech "Enabled" and then go for GOLD!
Old April 1, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the help.....Presently my Multiplier is set 9x and FSB Speed set 1515 Mhz, Unlinked = CPU Clock Speed 3.42Ghz. I have gone and changed my vCore to Manual (not Auto) and have set it at 2.75v, to start with. Should I start with 3.0v, when I was trying my OC in Linked n Synch's and had the VCore set to 1.35v. Its probably good to not "over-volt" either right?
What symptoms would I get when not enough Voltage?

Another thing, I have my Memory set to 800 Mhz, but it shows 757 Mhz? If I bump that 800 up, the other number itself goes up...Prersemt;y my Memory is "Expert", 4-4-4-12 1T @ 2.15v. If I set my Memory to "Optimal", my 780i Board sets the Timings to 5-5-5-18 2T @1.85v, I know the correct Timings for this Crucial Ballistix is 4-4-4-12. When I first set these Timings down and didn't change the default Voltage from 1.85 to 2.15v it wouldn't Boot up into Windows.

Thnaks again.

Old April 1, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry, meant 1.275v on the Core...

Old April 1, 2008, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The nice thing about the NVidia chipset is that you can unlink your FSB and Memory speeds.

Set to unlinked, then set your memory timings and speeds as you like.
Auto settings will get the board working, but not at optimum.

Note: the mem speed isn't really separate, NVidia just has way more multipliers available. It picks a multiplier based on your FSB and desired memory speed. You may set your memory to 800, and it will show 797 as that is the closest it can get with your current FSB setting.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool

Oh I see, I guess if I wanted to increase my Memory Speed fro 800 Mhz to a higher value, I may also have to "loosen" my Memory Timings as well? In other words, may have to change the 4-4-4-12 1T to perhaps 5-4-4-15 2T, or may be able to get away with the 4-4-4-12, but change the Command Rate from 1T back to 2T? I was told if the Memory cam run at 1T, that their is a slight performance boost?

Also, I noticed on my CPU Box (Intel E8400), it states Max Voltage of 1.225v.....yet I'm presently at 1.275v? As you increase the FSB you are going to have to increase the Voltage of the CPU well beyong the 1.225v, is this correct?
I'm wondering, is my present vCore 1.275 for a 1515 FSB (x9) 3.42Ghz......enough Voltage, or should I be more around 1.3v?

Thankss for helping me out....I have owned several Computers over the past 14yrs, my first being a Macintosh Performa ...circa 1995...I must say that it has very much become a "Hobby" with this present build (much to the annoyance of my wife .....and I appreciate all the help you folks provide!

Cheers

Old April 1, 2008, 12:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, you may have to loosen the timings as you increase your memory speed, but probably not until you're above 850 mHz. Yes 1T is faster than 2T. But hold off on memory OC until you're done with your CPU.

CPU Voltage - Yes, there is a max voltage on the box. This is max for stock operating speeds. However, I don't think it's max rated for the CPU (I believe it is 1.35V on the E8400, can be found on Intel's site). Once you go over the max rated, no more warranty from Intel. You will have to increase voltage as you raise the FSB.

If your system boots and is stable (no BSOD, no reboots, runs Prime95 or Orthos without failing), there's no reason to raise vCore unless you want to try raising your FSB.

Don't forget to come up for air every once in a while, take your wife to a movie or whatever. I just tell mine I like doing this as much as she likes scrapbooking.
Old April 1, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool

Ok, so here's where I'm presently at...
1515 FSB x9 Multiplier = 3.4 Ghz
Unlinked and set Memory so I have a Memory OC'd to 825 Mhz
Timings are 4-4-4-12 1T

Voltages:
vCore 1.3v (although all my Monitoring Programs show 1.25 - 1.27v..because of something called Vdroop?)
Memory Core 2.15v
All other Voltages, such as SPP (Northbridge) and MCP (Southbridge) left on Auto.
All other Voltages left on Auto

Ran Prime 95 version 25.6 , Torture Test "Small FFT" for 2 hrs, no errors.
Maximum Core Temps were 57 - 62 degrees, idling without stress Temps are 42 degrees.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on having 4 x 1GB sticks of RAM in a 780i Board running XP SP2 ?
I know my OS only recognizes 2.75 GB of the RAM, but I wonder if having those slots all full will actually slow things down?

How am I doing so far? BTW, my Zalman was shipped from DC today, likely be here tomorrow.
Oh, I'm curious, what Voltage are you running your E8400 at with your present OC?

Thanks again....
Bob

PS Friday night is "Date Night".....:help: