Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2012, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

Default Prime95 and cpu temps

I noticed that there's at least two or three posts on this topic. I didn't want to 'thread crap' or whatever you call it so I'm posting my own thread. :)

I read through the threads:
prime 95 temperatures

Prime95 Overheat question

But, man, I am confuzzled.... I downloaded and installed Prime95, HWMonitor and realtemps but I'm still unsure how to run the utilities (mostly Prime95 and HWMonitor).

Realtemps shows temps of around 40C idle (for my Q6600).

I had SpeedFan installed way back but it shows lower temps....in the the 30s. I think the realtemps ones are more accurate. When I check my BIOS, it shows temps of low 40s.

Can anyone help advise here? I started running Prime95 and the temps went up to low-mid 80s. That can't be good? I'm not sure at what stage of the test it was when I cancelled but there were 10 tests and then it started a new one and then the temps went way high.

I'm also not sure which settings to use as there's a ton. I found a bit of a help page on some forum for Prime95 but I'd like more info.

These are my hardware components that are most applicable?:
Q6600
Antec 300
TRUE heat sink

I thought, maybe, I have a similar issue as the other guy who was advised to clean off the old paste and re-seat the heat sink.

The plan is to order MX-4 and do this but can I do this without having to take out the mobo? I have the crappy Antec 300 version with no cut-out. I think for re-seating, I can just take the top part of the cooler out? I didn't assemble this computer. I don't like air coolers. ;-)

Also, I read about a 'washer' method in which you put a washer underneath the bracket or whatever it is and this might help a bit. Some ppl say to lap the heat sink and/or cpu and I am not sure the benefit is worth the hassle since others say it helps but not enough to be worth the time it takes to do this.

Any comments on that?

I looked at the cpu temp tests and Prime95 and I have little clue at what to choose when running it and what is being output. :) But, the temps going up to 80 (stress test, right?) didn't look too encouraging.

HELP?!?
Old April 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use Realtemp, go into settings and check your TJmax values. Then check your Q6600's stepping using something like CPUz. Chances are your temps are fine but your TJmax values are incorrect.
Old April 5, 2012, 07:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Use Realtemp, go into settings and check your TJmax values. Then check your Q6600's stepping using something like CPUz. Chances are your temps are fine but your TJmax values are incorrect.
Tjmax values are 'greyed' out but all show '100' and when you click to set values, it allows changes.

CPUz shows Stepping: B and Revision: G0.

Does that help?
Old April 5, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tjmax for G0 stepping Q6600s are generally accepted to be approximately 95c. (Intel says 90c) The exact value can vary between different cores of the same processor. There's a guide on TPU on how to use Realtemp's cool down sensor test to find more accurate tjmax values for your specific chip.

I would set the value manually to 95c and call it a day, but if you're really concerned you can try the test. What's really important is the distance to tjmax, the further your chip is from that number, the better. (I would aim for at least 20c from tjmax though)
Old April 7, 2012, 09:41 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Tjmax for G0 stepping Q6600s are generally accepted to be approximately 95c. (Intel says 90c) The exact value can vary between different cores of the same processor. There's a guide on TPU on how to use Realtemp's cool down sensor test to find more accurate tjmax values for your specific chip.

I would set the value manually to 95c and call it a day, but if you're really concerned you can try the test. What's really important is the distance to tjmax, the further your chip is from that number, the better. (I would aim for at least 20c from tjmax though)
I changed the values to 90c (per Intel recommendations?). I checked my temps afterwards and they're now 32,33, 33 (varies but around there)!

I don't know if they were already lowered or just after the values changed. But, I'm not too sure what contributed. Lowering those values wouldn't lower them 10 or more degrees?!?

I just hope they'll stay around there. :)

I guess I could just leave it or re-seating grease might lower them a few more but I think low 30s is typical for this processor at idle?
Old April 7, 2012, 09:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Temps are ok for a 24/7 OC, you want to be at least 20-25C away from your max safe temps, you are at least 30C short so you are good.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Changing the values didn't physically do anything to your temps, all it did was fix the baseline it was using. It's kinda like adjusting your spedometer if you change the size of your tires, you're not moving at a different speed, your spedometer is reporting a more accurate one.

Low 30s is fine for idle on a Q6600, but load is what you really need to be concerned with.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 7, 2012, 10:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Changing the values didn't physically do anything to your temps, all it did was fix the baseline it was using. It's kinda like adjusting your spedometer if you change the size of your tires, you're not moving at a different speed, your spedometer is reporting a more accurate one.

Low 30s is fine for idle on a Q6600, but load is what you really need to be concerned with.
Thanks!

I moved the computer to an 'office' from a living room in which it was on the floor (now on a desk). My temps changed slightly, 34 - 34 - 29 - 30.

To test the cpu for load, I would use Prime95? Is there a 'step-by-step' or 'how-to' for running a load test? I ran Prime95 briefly before and the cpu temps jumped to 80/85 but this was before when the idle temps were at 43 or 44 for most of the cores.

I just want to know what settings I should use and how to run the tests. There's several settings for extent of the test(?) but I'm not sure which to use. For e.g., one includes testing the memory but I don't think I need that included?

Thanks for any info.
Old April 8, 2012, 07:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, just run prime 95 "stability" blend and keep an eye on those temps.... 85 would send me running.... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 8, 2012, 08:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Yeah, just run prime 95 "stability" blend and keep an eye on those temps.... 85 would send me running.... ;)
Ok, for how long? Until it ends on its own?

My temps went up overnight. I think it might be because the ambient temp went up. I'm not sure how to get the room cooler, though. Only thing I can think of is a portable A/C but those are expensive. I suppose a fan won't do much?

The temps went up two degrees on the two cores, to 36.

Is it worth trying new thermal paste?

I'm not sure what to do now. This problem is really annoying! :-/

I ran Prime95 for a couple of minutes but the temps were going to 74 (for the first two cores) and 63 for the other two so I stopped the test. What are satisfactory values for idle and load? I think idle should be ideally very low 30s but I'm not sure what is acceptable at load and/or if you O/C. Maybe mid to high 40s?

I need to look into upgrading or something. I'm not sure if this prob can be solved. It'll suck if I can only use this computer at idle! :-(