Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2012, 09:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Either grab a new cooler, or leave it alone. You have obviously had this stuff for awhile(obsolete stuff) and it hasn't broken yet, so if your worried about temps then get a better cooler, you do know that nothing will EVER get your CPU that hot, only stress testing raises your CPU temp that high, gaming is usually 15-20C lower then testing.
Old April 8, 2012, 10:19 AM
Rookie

RealTemp uses a TJMax value of 100C by default for the Q6600 - G0 based on my actual testing of one of these processors. You are best off leaving that value as is in RealTemp. Changing that value will make your reported temperatures look nicer but they will probably be less accurate. Actual TJMax for the 2 cores on the right of these processors is often times closer to 105C. Run Prime 95 Small FFTs to fully load your CPU and then post a screen shot of RealTemp while that test is running.

The TJ Max numbers that Intel finally published were actually called TJ Target in the fine print. A target value of 90C is meaningless if actual TJ Max is closer to 100C. These early 65nm CPUs have some of Intel's best temperature sensors. As long as TJ Max is set correctly, you can get some very consistent temperatures out of these CPUs. Far better sensors than the crappy ones that Intel used on their 45nm Core 2 CPUs.

Edit: Here's my torture test of an E8400 for 3 hours while running Prime 95 with the heatsink fan deliberately turned off to make things interesting.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/276/hote8400fw5.png

It got cherry red for 3 hours but never skipped a beat and Prime 95 continued to run flawlessly. That is what I call, true stability testing. Don't worry about your core temperature. As long as your CPU can run reliably while fully loaded then everything is OK. Fixating on what temperature a stable CPU is running at is pointless. Intel builds some great technology into their CPUs with plenty of self protection features so it is difficult to fry one during normal use as well as during some not so normal use.

Last edited by unclewebb; April 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old April 9, 2012, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect

Well, what about doing a web search? I just noticed that surfing via Firefox, the temps of the 'first' two cores go way up.... they get up around 44 - 48 and only go back down with a halt of web activity. What the heck is that about?!?

I swear, I wish I could sell this crap but it's probably good I didn't or a buyer might have been complaining. I guess that is why prospective buyers are wary and cautious and ask the buyer to run the cpu through these same tests?

It just doesn't make sense to me that the core temps are going to shoot up a full 10 degrees because you have web activity. How is that making a cpu's cores hot?!? WTH?!?

The previous poster said get a 'better cooler.' You think it's 100% the fault of the cooler? Ok, which one?!?

I really don't want to go with another air cooler. It's huge in my case and a pain when I need to work in there. That's why I like the liquid coolers even if the closed loop ones aren't as good - the Corsair H-series, at least, is relatively less intrusive and I think performs almost as good as the best air ones?

The only other option is to use this as is since most ppl are saying there won't be no harm if it goes up a bit in temps and then buy a 'better' case that has more space to work in. Which ones are those? Corsair 400 and 500R, for e.g.?

I'm almost frustrated enough to take it to a computer shop but the local ones here, I wonder if they could even do anything.

Any experts here? Man, soooooooo frustrating. Afterall, it could be the cpu, sensors not working right.... BIOS problem... or maybe everything's working but the cpu is obsolete and old so it's not working as well anymore? :-(

I've never heard of browser/surfing causing temp increases like that before, though! I only noticed it because I had the browser window smaller so I could see the RealTemp window.
Old April 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
Rookie

The Q6600 is built on the old 65nm technology and when you apply a load, they put out a lot of heat. Tasks rapidly bounce around from core to core but some programs lock specific tasks to specific cores. If one or two cores heat up briefly more than the other cores it is not a big deal. That's normal. Internally your CPU consists of two completely separate Core 2 Duo CPUs with some space in between them. It makes sense that Core 0 and Core 1 move in tandem and Core 2 and Core 3 will also move in tandem at times. At full load when running Prime95 Small FFTs, the actual temperature of all 4 cores will be very similar. Any difference is mostly sensor error and the fact that Intel deliberately raised the TJMax on the second set of cores to avoid all 4 cores reaching the thermal throttling point at the exact same time.

I am trying to understand your frustration but I can't. You have an older CPU that runs great so what's the problem? As long as your computer is stable then it doesn't matter what temperature it is running at. How many years has that Q6600 been running strong? I wouldn't invest a nickel in a super cooler to make some temperature numbers look nicer.

You might want to check out ThrottleStop which shows CPU temperature and load on a core by core basis. Both ThrottleStop and RealTemp have an "On Top" feature so you can watch the numbers as you are surfing the internet.

ThrottleStop 4.10
Downloads | Tech|Inferno

No matter what task you are running, the CPU is designed to go up to full speed immediately until the task is done. This means the core temperature can change very rapidly, up and down, over a short period of time. No worries. If your CPU has lasted this long then it is very unlikely that it is going to go KA-BOOM any time soon. The 65nm Core 2 Duo CPUs like you have were some of Intel's most rugged CPUs. They are far more durable than the 45nm Core 2 Duos that came after these.