Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   prime 95 temperatures (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/53044-prime-95-temperatures.html)

ravenger April 4, 2012 06:28 PM

prime 95 temperatures

1 Attachment(s)
hey i ran prime 95 for about an hour and i had temperatures around 68-69 C and was wondering if thats a good temp. I thought it would be lower because its liquid cooled. Should it be lower than this?

cpu: i7-970 3.2ghz oc 3.84
these temps are just since i turned my computer on i only had a couple web pages going.
just to be clear im doing the blend torture test

Adzsask April 4, 2012 09:24 PM

What core voltage?, what kind of liquid cooling? fan(s) used, case is a plus.

ravenger April 5, 2012 12:44 PM

Voltage is 1.35

liquid cooling unit: asetek 550lc

case: nzxt phantom

fans:
top: 1 240
side 2 120
and on the radiator i have a push pull airflow set up

I have plenty of airflow in my case its huge but is my water cooling unit suck because i dont think it should be running this hot.

ilya April 5, 2012 01:44 PM

Those are actually pretty realistic numbers for an all in one unit. These sealed kits typically don't do much better than higher end air coolers, let alone an entry level Asetek kit. There simply isn't enough surface area to dissipate heat.

ravenger April 5, 2012 05:16 PM

well is 1.35 volts to much for my OC? So i got a shitty cooling unit or what? would a corsair be better?

Ed103194 April 5, 2012 05:37 PM

the voltage required depends on your cpu, the batch particularly so only you will know the answer whether 1.35 is too much or too little. and dont worry about the cooling, its actually really good for an i7 970

ilya April 5, 2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenger (Post 618186)
well is 1.35 volts to much for my OC? So i got a shitty cooling unit or what? would a corsair be better?

Every chip is different, one might need a ton of voltage to reach 4ghz and another might be able to do it at stock voltage. (although very rare) Overclocking is about finding out what your chip can do.

That Asetek unit is basically a Corsair H50. (Asetek made all the older Corsair water kits) Your temps aren't in the danger zone and you won't get much better performance unless you go for an elaborate watercooling setup. (which would cost you at least 3x as much as the cooler you currently have) High end air coolers or something like an H100 would probably net you 10% better cooling for twice the price of your current cooler.

ravenger April 5, 2012 07:41 PM

is there something im not getting? I hear of people overclocking this stuff so high but then you tell me ill hardly get a little more speed without overheating my chip. Then even with an h100 id only get a 10% increase???!What would that land me just over 4 ghz?

ilya April 5, 2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenger (Post 618226)
is there something im not getting? I hear of people overclocking this stuff so high but then you tell me ill hardly get a little more speed without overheating my chip. Then even with an h100 id only get a 10% increase???!What would that land me just over 4 ghz?

Nobody said anything about your chip overheating or reaching its clock speed limits.

What I said was you aren't going to get your chip much cooler without resorting to significantly more expensive cooling solutions. But it doesn't matter because your temperatures are fine as they are.

We have no idea on the potential of your chip since you haven't posted any information on things like voltage tweaks and the results of your stress tests. I would suggest you read some guides on overclocking 1366 chips if you really want to get past 4ghz. Sites like overclock.net have plenty of in depth guides that will help you tweak to your chip's maximum potential on conventional cooling.

ravenger April 5, 2012 08:10 PM

ok thanks