Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool Rookie OC'er...Question Re: Voltages

Hi all,
As mentioned in an earlier Thread, I have managed to OC my E8400 to 3.6 at stock voltages and with stock cooling. However, I want to clarify that by Stock Voltages, I mean that I haven't touched them....I have left them on "Auto".....is this appropriate??

I only ask as when I check out my Voltages in the Nvidia Monitor it shows all Voltages in "Red"..which according to Nvidia Monitor means unacceptable levels....also the SPP and Northbridge BUS Speed are also in Red??

Is this just a bug within the Nvidia Monitor?

Thanks

Old March 23, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

By leaving your voltages set on Auto, the motherboard raises the voltages automatically, so by changeing the fsb your also changing the voltages. That said, its important for you to know that your voltages are in fact NOT at stock levels. Ignore the monitor however what is important is your core temperature. Find out what maximum load temps are for your processor, download a small utility called coretemp, then download a program called prime95, load core temp, then run the stress test of prime95 while watching the temperatures, if at any time your temps excede your processor's maximum load temperature you chance frying the chip and you should immediatly lower your clockspeed and by lowering the clock speed you'll be lowering your voltages at the same time. Also you can use coretemp or cpuz to find your actual voltages at stock, then your actual voltage while overclocked and then manually lower the voltage from the point where the auto setting renders the load temps too hot, to the point at which you can run prime95 for 8 hours, stable, and under maximum load temperatures.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 23, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the speedy reply....When I did have the E8400 OC'd to 3.6, I simply bumped up my FSB to 1600 Mhx (Multiplier x"9").
I did monitor Core temperatures using CoreTemp while runnning Prime 95 Stress Test.
I found my Core Temperatures while running Prime 95 to be around 57 - 61 C (Stock Cooling)
@ idle Core temp is around 42 c

One thing odd though, I started getting a long "Beep" from my 8800 GTX when I shutdown the Rig. Afetr digging on other Forums I found that many were having the same annoying Beep when shutting down, as a result of the GTX not being supplied with enough Power for a milli-second before the Rig shuts down...strange that this started when I did my OC'ing ?!

Anyhow, I have since set my Clock Speed back to Auto 1333 @ x9 3.0 Ghz and low and behold when I shut down the Beep is gone again????....

You know anyone with this issue using a 8800 GTX? Seems like a power issue when OC'd .....?

Guess I'll keep playing around.

Thanks again

Old March 23, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

At what point during shut down does the beep happen? how long does it last? It could be just that the powersupply is shutting down power to the card prematurely? Just a guess really, but if you've got a second power supply to test with, that would be my first guess.

As to your overclock, ignore any colorfull monitors, all that is important is the allmighty core temp ;) as long as your under the maximum load temperatures you can continue to bump up your fsb. If you loose stability on auto settings, just find out what the auto voltage is, and then manually notch it up. Also if you have a setting to stabilize your Vdroop, make sure to enable it; you'll get a much more stable OC.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old March 24, 2008, 12:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Beep happens just (milli-seconds) before the Rig Powers down. The Beep lasts maybe a fraction of a second and kind of "whinds down" as the power is cut.
I did look up (Google) 8800 GTX Beeping at Shut Down and found many others with the same.
Strange though, I set my FSB back to "Auto" (no OC) 1333 Mhz, and it doesn't Beep at shut down. As soon as I OC to even 3.2, the Beep is back ...

Anyhow, I can definitley see how folks could go "nuts" trying to figure all this stuff out...it is fun, but it can also be somewhat "compulsive"..reminds of when I had my first Mac Performa....how many years ago?!

To be quite honest, I didn't really notice much of a difference when going from 3.0 to 3.6 Ghz.....
Its fun to play around though!

Old March 24, 2008, 12:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

when you overclock, your computer uses more power than it normally would while running stock. I would guess that its just enough more power usage to drain whats left in the powersupply just enough faster for the card to notice it. Again, its just a guess. the only way to really find out what part is causing the card to beep just at the end is to start replacing parts.

But before you get too carried away, i notice that you say your still new at the whole OC thing, so i just want to be sure that you understand that when you change your FSB your not just changing your processor speed, your changing the speed of the entire system. Your RAM, pci, pci e, agp...everything on the board is going to be running at an increased rate. Something you might try is to lock your pci e bus at 100 instead of auto and see if that stops the beep.

about noticing the speeds... your right, in the grand scheme of things your probly not going to notice much difference going from 3.0 - 3.6 in anything but the most demanding tasks and benchmarks. Theres very few programs out there that will take advantage of even 3.0 ghz. And from my own personal experience, and it sounds crazy, but my operating system seems to respond SLOWER at 4.3 than it does stock at 2.4... Although if you were to overclock your GTX you will definatly notice a difference while gaming. I almost think that at this stage of computer evolution most people are going to notice more performance gains from upgrading their RAM speeds or getting a faster hard drive with higher amounds of cache.

But the whole point of overclocking (for me anyway ;) isnt to make my computer "faster" but to see "how" fast it will go ;D. Everyone loves pushing limits and this is one area where pushing the limits has no rules or regulations. so the only limit to the push is just how extreem you want to go.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old March 24, 2008, 01:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Hi all,
As mentioned in an earlier Thread, I have managed to OC my E8400 to 3.6 at stock voltages and with stock cooling. However, I want to clarify that by Stock Voltages, I mean that I haven't touched them....I have left them on "Auto".....is this appropriate??

I only ask as when I check out my Voltages in the Nvidia Monitor it shows all Voltages in "Red"..which according to Nvidia Monitor means unacceptable levels....also the SPP and Northbridge BUS Speed are also in Red??

Is this just a bug within the Nvidia Monitor?

Thanks
Don't use that stupid software.

To monitor voltages and temperatures use HWMonitor its free and works with XP and Vista 32 and 64 bit.

2nd once you've overclocked throw a Prime 95 v25.x test using Small FFT test at it and if its stable for say an hour .. your good.

Temps you want idle to be around 35-40 and under load between 50-60 but that will depend on your cooler and TIM.

E8400s can do about 3.8-3.9 with stock cooler before temps get to warm and I'm talking 65+
Old March 24, 2008, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I get that beep to just as it is shutting down. I figured it was just the power draining out the card..did not do it with my last 939 system...not really concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
The Beep happens just (milli-seconds) before the Rig Powers down. The Beep lasts maybe a fraction of a second and kind of "whinds down" as the power is cut.
I did look up (Google) 8800 GTX Beeping at Shut Down and found many others with the same.
Strange though, I set my FSB back to "Auto" (no OC) 1333 Mhz, and it doesn't Beep at shut down. As soon as I OC to even 3.2, the Beep is back ...

Anyhow, I can definitley see how folks could go "nuts" trying to figure all this stuff out...it is fun, but it can also be somewhat "compulsive"..reminds of when I had my first Mac Performa....how many years ago?!

To be quite honest, I didn't really notice much of a difference when going from 3.0 to 3.6 Ghz.....
Its fun to play around though!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old March 24, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool

I went back into my BIOS and noticed that thier is no "Auto" setting for the BUS Speed of SLI_16x. It is set at 100 Mhz already and if I go back "Unlinking" my FSB and setting it up to "OC", as in say 1333 - 1433, the SLI_16 BUS Speed will still say 100 Mhz.
So not sure how to "Lock" it at 100 ?
I think your on the right track though as it only Beeps when I start OC'ing.
This is a good one for the "experts" to try and figure out.....getting to know my BIOS though

Thanks again....

Old March 24, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

SLI is for dual graphic cards so the SLI_16 bus speed setting might not be the same setting i'm talkining about. your board is different than mine though so i could be wrong, i believe the setting im talking about is simply called pci on my asus p5k. Look at your settings and try and find the stock voltages for everything and set them to stock manually as opposed to leaving it on auto. I dont think the beep is going to cause problems for the card though. If you cant find the solution, you could try just bumping up the fsb in small increments untill the beep starts happening then backing it off one and calling it good.

vista 64 on these rigs