Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2012, 08:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Acceptable Voltage Increases for set multiplier OC

Hello I have an x2 250 and i'm lookin to push it to 4GHz and beyond and was wondering if I can get some advice on acceptable voltage increases to the NB and CPU. I don't really like to touch the CPU Bus, but it's a fixed multiplier.

Thank you for your time.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Generally I don't like going over 1.35v for the NB for the CPU I would say 1.45v max unless you're doing some pretty good water cooling. Since it has a locked multi unfortunately you're gonna have to use the bus speed to get your 4ghz OC. Also when adjusting the bus speed keep an eye on your memory speed as well since the bus speed affect memory speed as well. Since you're running a Crosshair V(don't know why you have an athlon x2 250 on it) you should be able to get a pretty high bus speed.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

the x2 in the crosshair V is hallarious! I was going to upgrade my x2 250 to a x4 955 BE, but they were sold out everywhere in Edmonton in January!!!!!

So my mobo was a 780 chipset and did not support am3+, so to bridge the gap I had to go buy a new mobo because I am a university student and cannot afford to buy new memory/mobo/cpu all at the same time.

Currently I am running the vcore @ 1.488V, NB @ 1.11V my external probe measures my stock heatsink @ 30 , and AI Suite 2 reads cpu @ 36, and MB 26. I'm in Edmonton and I got good airflow :D

Also, I am running a very overkill powersetup. I have an AX850 because I plan on buying another toxic 6950 after my cpu and case upgrade. This allows me to run the crosshair V with 8 + 4 12 v :)

You mention a critical point about the memory. I bought a killer ~40 dollar ripjaw set and I can get them stable only to ~ 2000MHz (pretty good for 1333 cas9) without tweaking timing or voltages. So I lowered them to run at ~800mhz stock and then because i screw with the cpu bus frequency it runs at 1337 MHz (no joke LOL!)

I was getting stability problems with just letting the asus ai suite OC to 3800 mhz because it didn't scale down the ram speed.

I will keep these voltage parameters in mind and go for 4GHz....

To be continued... soon... as it's reading week