Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2012, 05:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Switching GPUs killed CPU OC?

So I'd finally got my CPU stable at 4.5 GHz. I was using a 560 TI 448 at the time because it wouldn't fit into my old PC but my 570 would (bleh, should have looked into that before buying the 560 ). Anyhow, I sold the 560 and put the 570 back in my main rig but now the computer will crash just after logging into windows. I get a BSOD code of 101 which I think typically means add more Vcore. I'm pushing 1.38v already with High LLC and VRMs set to Extreme rather then T.Probe. I'm using a straight multiplier bump to get 45x100 = 4.5Ghz.

Anyone else experience anything like this? My CPU had been able to pass a couple hours if LinX(never tried any longer) and fold 24/7 up until the switch. Now Folding will crash within a few seconds of starting. I uninstalled/reinstalled all the nvidia drivers too.

Last edited by Fleurious; February 3, 2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: clarify title
Old February 3, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Anytime you change HW, there is no guarantee a previous OC will be stable, get back to the drawing board is about all you can do!

Old March 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Whats your PSU? Could be that the 570 is drawing more power?
Old March 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

850 watt Antec Quattro, on paper it's more then enough power. The load is also balanced properly between the rails.. i.e. the CPU and GPU arn't sharing just one of the four rails.

I've dropped the clock down to 4.3 GHz and it seems to be fine now. I may upgrade the PSU if/when I upgrade to the "real" GTX 680.
Old March 30, 2012, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleurious View Post
850 watt Antec Quattro, on paper it's more then enough power. The load is also balanced properly between the rails.. i.e. the CPU and GPU arn't sharing just one of the four rails.

I've dropped the clock down to 4.3 GHz and it seems to be fine now. I may upgrade the PSU if/when I upgrade to the "real" GTX 680.
Your PSU is more than adequate for that system even running a single 570. As previously stated when you start switching around hardware you may have to rethink and start over with the overclock.
Old March 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bump up your vcore slightly -- it sounds like you were on the edge of stability with your original overclock, with no voltage buffer. GPU is drawing more power, putting more strain on the motherboard power regulation regardless of your PSU's capacity and "load balancing" features.

I had a similar experience with an old Core 2 Quad setup. Previously had an 8800GTS320 and the bumped to a 4870. Same settings, but overclock was not stable until I increased vcore one notch.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Bump up your vcore slightly -- it sounds like you were on the edge of stability with your original overclock, with no voltage buffer. GPU is drawing more power, putting more strain on the motherboard power regulation regardless of your PSU's capacity and "load balancing" features.

I had a similar experience with an old Core 2 Quad setup. Previously had an 8800GTS320 and the bumped to a 4870. Same settings, but overclock was not stable until I increased vcore one notch.
I've had the vcore up to 1.46 trying to get 4.5 GHz since that is the magic number I was aiming for. I stopped trying and settled with 4.3 GHz @ 1.36v. For all I know it is a secondary setting somewhere that may need a slight tweak. CPU temps stay under 60 and I have a fan blowing directly over the socket area so I don't believe temperature is an issue.
Old April 8, 2012, 01:21 PM
Trial Member

is it stable now?