Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Angry Computer turns on for a split seconds then turns off after using AMD overdrive

So like the title says my computer wont turn on.I press the power button and the fans spin a little and the LEDS on them turn on but then turn off a split second later.Have i completely messed up my system?.Do i have to buy a new motherboard CPU?.AMD overdrive only OC my CPU 400mhz higher surely it couldn't of screwed everything up.Although i was having some OC troubles earlier.I recently installed at Corsair H60 so i decided to OC my Phenom X6 1090T and well i was getting boot problems so i decided to give up. Couple of days later i updated my BIOS and tried again since my normal voltage was 1.4V when ive seen people use lower voltage than that with a 4GHZ OC.So i updated my BIOS and i managed to boot into windows but CPU-Z only showed my stock clocl (3.2GHZ) so i decided to just leave for the time being. So i then when and OC my GPU in AMD overdrive thing and it was pretty good actually i got quite a big FPS boost in BF3 so with that success i tried AMD overdrive on my CPU and it ran the tests and OC'ed it.After than i ran Prime 95 to check stability. So i download Everest and Speedfan to check my temps and in them it said my CPU was at 4GHZ so i was pretty confused and then bam my computer just shut down and wont turn on.Ive tried taking out the battery and clearing the cmos but nothing helped.I left it unplugged overnight and tried turning it on when i woke up (Which is now) but nothing.Do i have to buy a new system?
Old January 16, 2012, 08:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

OC your GPU by 400MHz? Which GPU?

Also, updating your BIOS likely cleared your OC settings.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
OC your GPU by 400MHz? Which GPU?

Also, updating your BIOS likely cleared your OC settings.
My CPU was OC'ed by 400MHz.Must of put GPU by mistake sorry and i would try updating my bios but as soon as i press the power button i see my fans spin and the LEDS come on but a second later it turns off and i have to wait a while before i can try again.I have checked everything around my system and everything is plugged in fine.I really don't know what could of happened.I did recently update my BIOS the yesterday it worked fine until i used the AMD overdrive to OC my CPU
Old January 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It must be an unstable overclock or something. Its always best to overclock from the BIOS anyways. Remove power from the board/reset cmos, then see if it will POST.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
It must be an unstable overclock or something. Its always best to overclock from the BIOS anyways. Remove power from the board/reset cmos, then see if it will POST.
Will do.I already tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery but i will try again

EDIT:.Just removed the battery to clear the CMOS but it didn't work.I unplugged the power from my PSU and unplugged the 8 and 24 pin connector but no luck.I turns off almost instantly still

Last edited by TomMiller; January 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

check the capacitors on the mobo and make sure none of them have blown or swelled up. There are some tests you will need to perform and this will require you to do a bunch of things you won't want to do.

1st of all you need the speaker so you can hear any bios beeps.
2nd you will need to remove everything from the mobo including the cpu.

plug it in and turn it on. It should beep at you like a raped ape but it should stay on and keep beeping.

Next: install the cpu with heatsink and power it on again with nothing else plugged in. You should get the video card and memory errror beeps. but it should stay on.

Next do the cpu and memory power it back on it should give you vga error bios beep.

Next put the vid card in there and power it on.... if you have gotten this far with no serious beeps you are back on track.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
check the capacitors on the mobo and make sure none of them have blown or swelled up. There are some tests you will need to perform and this will require you to do a bunch of things you won't want to do.

1st of all you need the speaker so you can hear any bios beeps.
2nd you will need to remove everything from the mobo including the cpu.

plug it in and turn it on. It should beep at you like a raped ape but it should stay on and keep beeping.

Next: install the cpu with heatsink and power it on again with nothing else plugged in. You should get the video card and memory errror beeps. but it should stay on.

Next do the cpu and memory power it back on it should give you vga error bios beep.

Next put the vid card in there and power it on.... if you have gotten this far with no serious beeps you are back on track.
Sounds like a good idea its just that i don't have any thermal paste for my heatsink (Corsair H60) so i mean i guess i could just put it back on without replacing it but thats kinda bad

Last edited by TomMiller; January 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
Sounds like a good idea its just that i don't have any thermal paste for my heatsink (Corsait H60) so i mean i guess i could just put it back on without replacing it but thats kinda bad
It will be ok for quickly turning the computer on and entering the BIOS/windows. Using the computer normally with no paste might not be so great.
Old January 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To clear Cmos did you simply removed the battery or did you do what is in the user manuel, which is most of the time unplug power cord, move the Cmos jumper to pin 2-3 for about 10 sec, replace jumper and reboot? If you only remove battery bios will still keep setting saved.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
To clear Cmos did you simply removed the battery or did you do what is in the user manuel, which is most of the time unplug power cord, move the Cmos jumper to pin 2-3 for about 10 sec, replace jumper and reboot? If you only remove battery bios will still keep setting saved.
And always push the power button when everything is disconnected to discharge anything left in the caps, though TBH I doubt this is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton