Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2012, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

72.6 is tjmax not core folks and an i7 2600k doesn't make anywhere near the heat a 920 does so he should be fine i have owned every intel socket in the last 7 years and the 1366 cpu's were heat monsters the 2600 is nothing like it when comes to heat output
Old January 17, 2012, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpload View Post
your heat sink is useless for that cpu as far as overclocking gos,and Intel recommends no more then 72.6c on your cpu so you know...

your heat sink is good for stock speed only imho.
and forget about the h80 whatever it is cooler, if you really want to overclock that i7 get a real full size water cooling kit,if you can afford a $300+tax cpu you can afford to spend $250 more on a cooling kit for it.
Megahalems are far from useless - they are one of the best air coolers available - and are more than sufficient for cooling an overclocked SB chip. There is absolutely no need to spend $250 on cooling unless you're going for a world record overclock or something. I'm not sure why you would say otherwise.
Old January 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpload View Post

your heat sink is useless for that cpu as far as overclocking gos,and Intel recommends no more then 72.6c on your cpu so you know.
my cpu e5200 @ top 5% best overclocks in the world that i know of at a stable 1.4v never clears 50c@ ambient temp 25c case temp 40c, auto alarm gos off at 60c, auto system shut down 70c.

your heat sink is good for stock speed only imho.
and forget about the h80 whatever it is cooler, if you really want to overclock that i7 get a real full size water cooling kit,if you can afford a $300+tax cpu you can afford to spend $250 more on a cooling kit for it.

your i7 has like a TDP of 100 at stock speed and vcore.
First off, TJmax is actually 98C. It's a common misconception that 72C is actually the temperature max. It even says in the dude's screenshots "Distance to TJmax", which is still a fair way off.

Second off, 72.6C is the Tcase, which has no bearing on the actual temperature of the cores themselves.

Third, telling him to forget about the H80 is ridiculous. The H80 performs amazingly on a 2600K, and I've seen people hit close to 5GHz on that thing while staying below 80C.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Just a lil update and then you can get back to shouting at each other

First off i ended up going with the Corsair H100, why? because im an idiot and didnt do enough research before buying and thought hmmm the H100 must be better than the H80 and fit im my case judging by all the videos i've seen, wrong. If you have the same mobo/case/RAM as me or even just mobo/case be prepared to get the Black&Decker out for some drilling http://i.imgur.com/SX5nk.jpg i had to drill holes for the screws up top even after taking the heatsinks off the Vengeance RAM as it just wont fit due to board&RAM combo, so be warned. Second i've just done a lil test at the same volts and speed as before and temps are only maxing out at 65c, so i'm off to start lowering volts until i get it nice and stable

Oh would it be worth trying for 5Ghz with the H100 or should i just leave it at the 4.5Ghz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetik View Post
lol all that speed for CSS ;)
CS:S actually runs a higher CPU load than SC2, MW3 and BF3, since they moved CS:S to Orange Box its more CPU intensive than GPU but even at stock speeds with this CPU you easily get 600 to 700+ FPS

Last edited by dazed; January 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added a quote
Old January 17, 2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just a lil update and then you can get back to shouting at each other
Just talking here friend, not shouting

We all have our options and are entitled to them, mine is no more important then the next .
Whether you see wisdom in mine, your own or some one different is of course up to you seeing as it is not for me to tell you what you should or shouldn't think, I can only show you doors, you must pick the one you wish to go threw.

Wisdom & Intelligence is the ability to use knowledge.
Knowledge is the ability to see that which is obvious for with out it nothing ever is.
And there is no knowledge that is not power.
And how you use it Whether for good or evil defines you,and theirs is a little bit of everything in all of us.

And closed mindedness and intolerance to differences of options walks hand in hand with pride and ignorance.

And iv bin doing this for 30 year since per 1mhz cpus.

Last edited by jumpload; January 18, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: grammer