Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2012, 07:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default MSI Afterburner vs. AMD GPU Clock Tool

Hi guys,

I've realized that my OC for my XFX Radeon HD 5850 is quite conservative, and I'd like to take it just a tiny bit further (right now at 800/1130). Now, overclocking past what I already have using MSI afterburner seems to glitch the card somewhat, and so I'm wondering if I should give AMD GPU Clock Tool a try, and just let MSI AB handle the custom fan speeds. Do you guys think it's better to OC with AMD GPU Clock Tool or am I getting the most out of my card using MSI AB already?

I'm also having trouble determining what is the latest version of the AMD GPU Clock Tool - Guru3D has both 0.9.8 and 0.9.26 listed, although the latter is labeled as for "HD 5870". Isn't there an official link from AMD for the download?

Thanks!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old January 4, 2012, 09:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If it's glitching with AB, then it's likely you're going beyond the limits your card can do.
I use AB to (highly) OC my 6950 and it works great.
You may need to up the voltage on your card to get more out of it, but that means you better have good aftermarket cooling on the card for that, but that's even a risk.
Old January 5, 2012, 03:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Also from my understanding gpu clock tool disables fan speed changes and such, AB or Sapphire TRIX would be your best bets, at least they allow overvoltage(if your card supports it) and higher clock headroom then CCC allows, you could also change the bios on the card(but this takes some balls sorta speak)

Either its the voltage is not enough, or the Vregs are getting to warm trying to pump those clocks, you could also tell AB to enable unoffical overclocking which sometimes helps, or even BIOS edit your card with Radeon bios editor, but you better pay attention to what you are doing.

Dont forget, Radeon x950 vs thier x970 "usually" have a limit imposed on them, and more often then not, do not typically have as much headroom, some are the exception, but most of these exceptions were choosen by the manufacturer for this specific reason.

GPU review will show you what alot of 5850 are sold at for speeds in memory and such, this may help, but also keep in mind, Vregs control the power to core/memory, and by overclocking both you more then likely are limiting the clocks either can achieve, "most" games the Radeons gain alot more performance from a higher core speed, then higher memory, I say put both at stock, and find the highest you can get both individually, then put both together, and do make sure the temps are in check, 65-78c or so is resonable with 35-62% fan speed, any higher then that you are pusing it to much and this will most certainluy effect the speeds/stability.