Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2012, 06:28 AM
Top Prospect

For reference, I'm running a 2600k at 4.8 @ 1.4v. Temps go up to ~78 on the hottest core when running Prime.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
72.6 is tjmax not core there's a fair size delta between those eh like most of the times almost 10c.

Why do you think thermal trip doesn't kick in till well after that
My cpu never clears 55c even on the hottest summer days full load for 30 min all cores.

Agreed, and don't let me stop anyone from going their and i know many do, mostly people with lame air cooling setups.
And some people get away with murder on this topic for years none the less going their
"A" lowers performance
"B" kills life span
"C" makes the integrated circuit unstable.

My self its just not my stile and i don't like driving my car around town all day looking at this

I understand some people are trying to hold on to a dieing technology aka air cooling,my self i made the switch a long time ago, and its not something you have to upgrade all the time IF you get a water block that can fit more then one cpu~mobo setup and isn't vender locked in to just one mobo~cpu setup.

ps acrylic CrackOmatic plastic anything blows so bad its not funny, all copper~copper brass is the best and all the rest is somewhere in the middle.

As for the 100c thermal trip its to stop bone heads from suiciding their cpus,older computers didn't use to have any so people that didn't know what they were doing would just kill their cpus.

Guide to Understanding Intel Temperatures | TechREACTION
Intel Core i7-2600K (CM8062300833908 / BX80623I72600K / BXC80623I72600K)
Intel® Core

Note: i can drive my car around all day too with no Oil in it but like the heat topic its not my thing but don't let me stop you from doing it with your new car,and i don't buy used cars from 20 year olds,us old timers take care of our stuff.

enjoy,ill stick with water cooling

Last edited by jumpload; January 17, 2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: better pic
Old January 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpload View Post
ps acrylic CrackOmatic plastic anything blows so bad its not funny, all copper~copper brass is the best and all the rest is somewhere in the middle.
Gold is actually the best (or even silver for that matter) but it is too expensive lol
Old January 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Gold is actually the best (or even silver for that matter) but it is too expensive lol
+1

15min burn
Old January 18, 2012, 02:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

of course it never goes over 55c it's a dual core E5200 my point is that your cpu can run safely much hotter then most think i have overclocked every cpu intel has made since socket 478 and never once have i killed i chip i wasn't trying to kill and if your pushing hard Vcore and not using water well your asking for problems. justmy2cents i wouldn't trust easytune for one second i would use a muliti-meter and temp probes or an ir temp reader

I got a i3 540 in the living room running @4.6 on air and it never clears 60C but my 2500k @4.6 also on air gets to above 60C more cores more heat my other 2500k on water @5.0 hits 70C on it's cores and that's at 1.45vcore and too boot my i7 2600 k on water runs at below 65 @4.7 my point is dual and quad makes a huge difference and the old 920 at the same vcore would hit 70+ on water worrying about any of these temps well is just silly thermal trip is a safety feature design to save chips when there heat sink ( or what every type of cooling fails ) not for overclockers there silicon it design to run much hotter then most think but if you can get better temps then great but comparing it to cars is a no go they only loose performance when they throttle so as long as your in a safe temp zone your good

when it comes to shorting there life well don't overclock the point of overclocking for me is to push a chip to it max other wise whats the point the performance increase is not that big a hit if you run them at stock ( i am just waiting for 22nm chips so i can go beyond 5ghz and hopefully these ships are as good as there younger brothers cause sandy kick butt in the ghz field on water and air )
Old January 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
when it comes to shorting there life well don't overclock the point of overclocking for me is to push a chip to it max other wise whats the point the performance increase is not that big a hit if you run them at stock ( i am just waiting for 22nm chips so i can go beyond 5ghz and hopefully these ships are as good as there younger brothers cause sandy kick butt in the ghz field on water and air )
Even with extreme overclocks I've never lost a CPU and I still expect then to outlast their 3 upgrade cycle so I don't consider overclocking a threat to the chips longevity. I too am hoping the 22nm intel chips do what is implied, as smaller usually means easier stability at high clocks and less power. Imagine Ivy Bridge CPUs at 5.5ghz 1.4v on air at 64c, dreamy.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I find i have more problems with the broads being kinda finickie then the chips lol