Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverthefrenchy View Post
Switched to Bell Fibe last spring when they finally upgraded their network to 100% fiber all the way to your home here in Quebec City .
Kinda funny how it's fiber but yet uses speeds you can just about attain on DSL and have had on cable forever.

When someone tells me they have Fibre to the door I'm expecting 100 or 1000mbit. Honestly, who cares what medium you use for transferring? I'd use carrier pigeon if it gave me gigabit with low enough latency....
Old November 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It is real fibre though. Bell has two: 50/50 and 175/175. I just wish they would offer these real ones in my neighbourhood, not the crappy faux fibre.

Old November 21, 2012, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Kinda funny how it's fiber but yet uses speeds you can just about attain on DSL and have had on cable forever.

When someone tells me they have Fibre to the door I'm expecting 100 or 1000mbit. Honestly, who cares what medium you use for transferring? I'd use carrier pigeon if it gave me gigabit with low enough latency....
I used to have a TGV 65/5 from Videotron before that and at max ever managed to get 40/3 out of it, and at time it used to be the best you could get around here. Videotron's service was around 20$ more expensive than what I have now with Bell, with only 150gb per month, costing me extras every month.

In Quebec the 2 main ISPs if you want the fastest are pretty much Bell and Videotron, and neither of them are cheap. In my case switching to Bell was a good move for the extra 100gb per month and the constant speeds and balanced network overall.

Now I never tried to sell the fact that I had fiber, that's the last thing I care about. As long as I get what I pay for, im fine with it.

Don't expect to see anything close to 1000mbit in the next 4-5 years around here haha, or if they ever do so, they will put ridiculously low caps like 300gb per month
Old November 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
It is real fibre though. Bell has two: 50/50 and 175/175. I just wish they would offer these real ones in my neighbourhood, not the crappy faux fibre.
Well those are decent, but I bet the bandwidth caps suck still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverthefrenchy View Post
I used to have a TGV 65/5 from Videotron before that and at max ever managed to get 40/3 out of it, and at time it used to be the best you could get around here. Videotron's service was around 20$ more expensive than what I have now with Bell, with only 150gb per month, costing me extras every month.
At this point the best thruput you get around here is on cable for 100mbit/5mbit

Telus used to advertise that their service wasn't "shared" but that's all crap. It's eventually shared somewhere, doesn't matter where. It does matter if there is a bottleneck at that share point or not.

Anyway, my "shared" cable is probably the best service I've ever had, with an outage of maybe once a year. Mind you, I've got that same level of quality from Telus too, they could only offer me 3mbit. After two years of waiting I bailed and absolutely never regretted it.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:04 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Old December 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Over wifi, and the router is downstairs across the house
Old December 19, 2012, 01:26 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

My upload
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius Jr. View Post

Over wifi, and the router is downstairs across the house
I envy that upload speed

Asus P6X58-E WS | i7 920 D0 @ 4.01ghz W/ Apogee HD Block | 24gb (3x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 SC's in SLI W/ XSPC Razor Blocks |
4x 1tb WD Black Drives | SB Recon 3D PCIe | Swiftech MP655-SE Pump | Swiftech Maelstrom Res | CM HAF 932 | Corsair HX 850 (3 yr's old) | Asus VH236H + PA238QR
Old December 19, 2012, 03:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergold View Post

My upload

I envy that upload speed
lol, if it makes you fell any better my router is terrible and right now I am getting 2mb/s upload and download
Old December 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

New Asus Wifi router

Over 5ghz wifi network about 100ft and 3 walls away.
Old December 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Man do I ever love my FibeOp