Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
Trial Member

Default Upgrading for Swtor

Hi,

My build is a couple years old and I'm looking to upgrade it for Swtor. During beta graphics and FPS held up fairly well, however I noticed my loading times for cutscenes were much slower than my roommate's newer build.

mobo: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA (no SLI and no sata III)
Intel 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
EVGA GTX 260
G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB)
Corsair 620W PSU
500GB 7200 RPM HDD

running 64-bit Windows 7

My main questions are:
- what would I benefit most from upgrading?
- if loading times are my main concern, how much would I benefit from adding a sata II SSD?

Thanks for your help!
Old December 1, 2011, 05:38 PM
Top Prospect

For just loading, there should be a big difference with an SSD, especially if your HDD is a few years old. To more accurately help with your upgrade, what is your budget?
Old December 1, 2011, 06:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I think your rig looks good as is wcraycroft.

MMORPG's generally don't require a lot of processing power. I went and checked and your rig looks plenty strong for it. Star Wars: The Old Republic | FAQ

Now these are generally the minimum requirements but you are still way over that.

I haven't played the game though so perhaps if you load up the eye candy there might be some issues.
I'd give it a try and see how your rig runs and if it isn't up to your liking then consider upgrade.

I don't know how much even load times will improve with an SSD as an MMO is going to have some internet speed considerations which might not let you take advantage of the SSD speed boost - could be wrong there as well.

A new/bigger/better monitor is always nice for the enjoyment aspect. (you didn't say what screen you use)