Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
Wow nice setup G777. Are those typical clocks on the 3960x? I'm heavily in debate right now on whether to find a high binned 2600/2700k (57-59multiplier) or go with the SB-E. I figure with board and chip they should be about the same cost but can't seem to make a decision on way or the other.
That's just cpu-z validation to try to get an idea of what the chip was going to be capable of, HT was off vcore, LLC all pretty high. My feeling is that this is a pretty average chip, but I have the advantage at least right now, of better bios support from Asus ROG. They're putting out new bios's almost everyday, there were two released yesterday!

P67 vs X79 I'd say it depends on ultimately what you're gonna do with it. I'm also using my my set up for folding so the extra cores make a difference. Besides, I find playing with new platforms is a blast

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old November 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
MVP
F@H

Right we got 4 days to score a better dual core score. Anyone got anything out there?

We're nerfed by the Atom being our 5th submission, but the Bulgarians have an old athlon as their 5th which is also holding them back...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Last edited by FlyingFish; November 24, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old November 24, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
Right we got 4 days to score a better dual core score. Anyone got anything out there?

We're nerfed by the Atom being our 5th submission, but the Bulgarians have an old athlon as their 5th which is also holding them back...
Worst case scenario, I can un-nerf us with my E6600. I'm holding out though in hopes somebody else will post one, though, since setting it up for benching will be a PITA. But if nobody else comes through by the weekend, I'll do it.

Will you be posting a GTX280 score for Heaven DX9?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old November 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I grabbed a 217 score with my e2160 that I will post tonight but I'm going to push my work computer more tomorrow as I think she still left a bit of room to breath.

Edit: I'll have to put it up tomorrow as I neglected to upload my results.

What kind of numbers would that e6600 pull? Would it be worth it?

If it wasn't the fact that it's my work pc, I would bring it home and clock it has high as I can but I have to stay on the safer side unfortunately :P LoL

Last edited by Slaughter; November 24, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old November 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Will you be posting a GTX280 score for Heaven DX9?
I'd like to but I'm having trouble getting the Haven Bench to run. I've got a fresh install of windows 7 with the latest 285.xx drivers, but it just hangs when I try to run it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Old November 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
I'd like to but I'm having trouble getting the Haven Bench to run. I've got a fresh install of windows 7 with the latest 285.xx drivers, but it just hangs when I try to run it.
Yeah - apparently a lot of folks are having the same problem. One guy who was having that problem got it to work by doing this:

Quote:
I tried also running the CPU at stock clocks and it didn't work .

But ... a few minutes ago i managed to make it work at win7 !
I played a bit with the windows services and i reinstalled the driver . It now works .
I disabled the audio services and that's all
Rasparthe, the clever fellow that he is, speculated that...

Quote:
you may need an audio driver and sound card if you don't have onboard audio. There is audio during the benchmark for some reason and if you have no driver perhaps it is causing the crash.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old November 24, 2011, 08:39 PM
MVP

I have confirmed that adding a sound card (didn't have to be plugged into anything) did indeed solve the problem for me. I was having the same problem, crash at Stage 7. Fixed up now. Made a 1621 with 275 will post it later tomorrow.

EDIT: But perhaps I wasn't having the same problem as FlyingFish. Does yours hang on the splash screen at the beginning? If that is the case I think I read somewhere it has something to do with the font that is installed.... I'll see if I can dig it out.

Last edited by Rasparthe; November 25, 2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I upped my AMD score as much as I can... I don't think I can squeeze anymore out of this one. :(

It's up to someone else to beat me!
Old November 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sadly, I think that's all I do with my e2160 without ripping it apart as I'm sure the CPU itself can go further..

I don't even think I have enough working parts left to setup a rig to drop that e6600 of yours in DT otherwise I'd swing by and borrow it :P
Old November 26, 2011, 01:43 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
I have confirmed that adding a sound card (didn't have to be plugged into anything) did indeed solve the problem for me. I was having the same problem, crash at Stage 7. Fixed up now. Made a 1621 with 275 will post it later tomorrow.

EDIT: But perhaps I wasn't having the same problem as FlyingFish. Does yours hang on the splash screen at the beginning? If that is the case I think I read somewhere it has something to do with the font that is installed.... I'll see if I can dig it out.

Well I'll try the soundcard on Monday, but yeah, I'm having problems with it just hanging on the splash screen. Anything you can dig up will be appreciated :-)