Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2011, 01:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can beat our current score, I just don't know by how much yet. I should know by the end of the weekend.

As for wPrime, there's a chance I might get my i5 680 by Tuesday. If not, then it may be prudent for Rasparthe to run an E8600 score just in case. Is that doable Rasparthe?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 17, 2011, 07:13 AM
MVP

It should be doable, but it will cancel my Celeron 450 score. Does someone have a single score to throw up? I'm at my parents this weekend so I can't get so much done here but my parents have an i3 530 that I just did a little test run on and with hardly pushing (3.3 Ghz) it hits 471secs without even tuning or stripped OS. I can probably get a score from here that will beat an e8600 score, as long as I don't blow up the parents computer.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
Rookie

I'm going to get the 990x under ln2 tonight to see if I can improve my wprime, & also see what kind of pcmark7 score I can get with 1366. Crantana has been playing with pcm7 so can fill in a good 1155 score if I can at least break 6k with the 990 & delete my current 1155 score.
I also recently got some 775 gear with an e8400, so will work on a 2 core score & see if I can improve there, but not counting on that since I know next to nothing about socket 775...
Old December 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay - so here's the story. I have a 24-core Opteron box with a pair of 192 bit GTX460's in SLI. Started testing on stock everything to see if it would be worth putting some effort into. Appears yes, since stock yields something around P6000. Then I try running the 32-bit executable and my score increases by a few hundred (more precise values I cannot recall).

So I think maybe it would run better on a native 32-bit OS, so I install Win2008 IA32 Standard. My physics and combined scores are literally halved and my overall score drops to ~ P4500. Crap, I think, maybe the CPUs are starved for memory addresses - so I install Win2008 IA32 Enterprise and enable PAE so that all 16GB can be addressed. Doesn't change the scores one iota.

So experiment failed, go back to Win2008 R2 Standard and run the 32-bit executable from there, right? Only now, I continue to get the same scores I was getting with the 32-bit OS installed. I cannot for the life of me re-attain the scores I was originally getting with R2 Standard. I've also tried R2 Enterprise, and x86-64 (non-R2) both Standard and Enterprise too. I know everything is the same because nothing hardware-wise has changed and I used all the same driver packages.

Any ideas? I'm about to try Win7 even though it will reduce my cores by half just to see what happens.

Update: Okay, running the 32-bit executable on Win7 x64 brings me back close to my original score at P6000. Where it falls shy (predictably) is on the physics test and combined test. My physics score is now 5200 with 12 cores on Win7, whereas it used to be about 6500 with 24 cores on Win2008. Would be nice to get this performance back from Win2008 so that I could use all my cores to up the physics and combined test scores.

Update 2: I have a hunch it's related to the power supply (I normally run this rig with just the onboard video). Will try daisy chaining another supply in to handle the GPUs and see what happens...

Update 3: P7100 is the best I could do with my GTX460's. Had to be done on Win7, too - not sure why but I was never able to replicate my initial performance with the Server OS's.

Last edited by Dead Things; December 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old December 18, 2011, 01:55 PM
Rookie

I'm having trouble making pcmark 7 work with the 990x, keeps giving me a page of text about an unhandled exception & needs to close, I did make it run before & got a score, can't figure this one out...
Old December 18, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try uninstalling and reinstalling .NET 4.0: Download: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Old December 19, 2011, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Whoah, the thread exploded here!

Just stopping by to say you guys are pulling some impressive scores. Mostly limited by cooling, but still always close to top-5. Top notch!!
Old December 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Haha yeah we are doing what we can :D Thanks for stopping by P-J
Old December 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
MVP
F@H

I'm back from my work trip up to the middle of god-forsaken nowhere! I'll throw up a score with my i3 530. Thanks DT for reminding me about this! :-)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Old December 20, 2011, 11:50 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So far, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to touch DT's 3dmark11 score. 3DMark11 keeps crashing on me. :(

I'm going to lower my CPU oc a bit and try to ramp up my GPU and see what I can do. Physics will be my downfall though.